Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Impulse buying (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/impulse-buying-31624.html)

Meadbh 12-01-2007 05:32 PM

Impulse buying

I went shopping today for a briefcase (planned). My favourite leather store was having a sale. I met a couple who had come in to buy gloves for DH but left with a beautiful leather jacket for his sister. (It was a bargain at $199). The conversation turned to impulse buying. It turned out that DW had accompanied DH to his automobile's oil change, and while waiting, had bought a CAR.

What's the biggest impulse purchase you have ever made? Or are you Puritan LBYMs always capable of restraining yourselves in the face of iniquity temptation?

RetireeRobert 12-01-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meadbh (Post 583675)
I went shopping today for a briefcase (planned). My favourite leather store was having a sale. I met a couple who had come in to buy gloves for DH but left with a beautiful leather jacket for his sister. (It was a bargain at $199). The conversation turned to impulse buying. It turned out that DW had accompanied DH to his automobile's oil change, and while waiting, had bought a CAR.

What's the biggest impulse purchase you have ever made? Or are you Puritan LBYMs always capable of restraining yourselves in the face of iniquity temptation?

Candy bars are my temtation. I think that likely leaves out of the Puritan class.:-*

cube_rat 12-01-2007 05:48 PM

I went to return a shirt at Old Navy about 5 years ago and bought a new car on the way to the store. :p I promised myself to never buy a car on impulse again...although I am looking at a 2007 BMW 335i as I type this. Someone help me please.

Rich_by_the_Bay 12-01-2007 05:49 PM

Went looking for cock-a-poo dog with DW. Came home with a Doberman.

AltaRed 12-01-2007 05:53 PM

I don't recall any instances of impulse buying of material things in day-to-day life, but have done so when touring or on vacations (on attractions, events, entertainment, dining experiences). Material purchases, other than items <$100, have been planned.

cute fuzzy bunny 12-01-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meadbh (Post 583675)
What's the biggest impulse purchase you have ever made?

A drink for a pretty blond which, with additional required investments turned out to cost about $35,000 over a couple of years. Good dividend payer though.

But I lost all my principal at the end.

Nords 12-01-2007 06:19 PM

We go to open houses to get a feel for the market and to pick up home-improvement/décor tips.

We've bought two houses that way, neither of which we really intended to own but each that gave us the screamin' gimmes in its own way and at the worst possible times. One fell through escrow and I'm sitting in the other one now.

https://www.early-retirement.org/foru...0&postcount=40

Here's what the quote looked like before CFB's edits:
Quote:

Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny (Post 583689)
But I lost all my principles principal at the end.

cute fuzzy bunny 12-01-2007 06:35 PM

I have to learn how to edit faster...

Callie 12-01-2007 06:40 PM

I went to look for new flooring for my kitchen about 10 years ago, the kitchen place was closed, so I stopped and bought a new car on the way home.

Meadbh 12-01-2007 06:46 PM

You guys are way more impulsive than I am!

I stopped in at Pier 1 Imports today on the way home from the leather store and spent $40 on gifts.

Still driving the 12 year old Honda and living in the 85 year old house!

Keep 'em coming!

:) :) :)

Goonie 12-01-2007 07:31 PM

I've done some impulse buying over the years, but it was kind of planned ahead of time......whenever I've gone to my favorite hobby shop, I've always put a blank check in my wallet in case I would spy out something I 'needed'. I've NEVER returned back home with a blank check. ;D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meadbh (Post 583700)
Still.....living in the 85 year old house!

My house was built in the very early 1900's (1908 IIRC), and has been in the family for almost that entire time. Only out of the family for a few years in the late 40's. My Mom, who is 80, was born here.

W2R 12-01-2007 10:26 PM

The only thing that I buy on impulse is art, and then only if it fits roughly into my budget. You can't just say "today I am going to pick up the perfect sculpture (or painting) down at the corner store" and actually find it that day. It takes months of looking before I stumble across something that is just right, because I only look at the cheap stuff under $100 and because I am very picky and need art that I adore and relate to on a personal/emotional level, not just stuff that looks right from a decorating point of view.

I guess the most expensive impulsive art purchase was an Italian statue of Napoleon ($140). I didn't buy it, went home, felt tormented with longing for it, and went back, haggled until I got the price down considerably, and bought it anyway. It was worth every penny to me, though more than I would normally pay (being a cheapskate at heart).

But otherwise, I don't recall ever making an impulsive buy, to tell you the truth.

pilgrim555 12-01-2007 11:22 PM

Almost ashamed to reveal my/our impulse purchase...."A BUBBLE MACHINE" further discomfort...$79.00! Vacation in Stowe,VT and saw bubbles pouring out of a gift shop...Thought the grandkids would love it...they do and all the halloween trick or treaters enjoy bubbles also...frivolous with a capital F

NotSoonEnough 12-02-2007 12:04 AM

I once stopped at the Nissan dealer to have a look at a Sentra, just wanted to get some info, maybe go for a test-drive, all part of my "research". At the time, the Sentra was a great little high-mileage vehicle for about $13k with all the bells and whistles. I drove home in a nifty new Altima SE with all the bells and whistles (including a "moon-roof") for about $25k.

Nope, won't do that again. I now drive a used Chevy Blazer on weekends to get to the hills, ride a bicycle to do errands around town during the week.

Helena 12-02-2007 12:42 AM

Speaking of briefcases... I found a beautiful natural eel skin
briefcase at an estate sale for $3. The catch was... it had a
combination lock... and no one knew the combination... but
I bought it anyway... I put it away for a few weeks, then one
night I was determined to open it... so I began at 000 and one
digit at a time I moved the lock up to the 600s before one side
opened... then I had the same fun with the other side... but I
finally opened it... unfortunately, there were no valuables inside...
but it was brand new and beautiful inside... and all for the cost of
three bucks... along with some time, patience and sore fingers. :coolsmiley:

Texas Proud 12-02-2007 01:01 AM

Let me define impulse buying IMO.... it is buying something that you had no intention of buying and do not need..

So, my answer is nothing big.. sure, have bought some food and other groceries that I was not intending to buy when I went in the front door, but nothing ever big...

If I see something that is great.. I just leave to see if I really need it... do some research and go back if it fits in....

Now, I do buy stuff on Woot which is a one product a day site... but only things that I had been 'wanting', but have not yet bought... they have some good prices... but have missed some that I would have liked to buy since I did not 'jump' quickly... got to take the step back... and sometimes it cost you.

bssc 12-02-2007 01:40 AM

A half gallon of ice cream perhaps. I guess I am too obsessive to just buy something without researching it. I admit to being one of those people who check out places like Fry's Electronics but end up buying the item online.

Twinkle Toes 12-02-2007 02:01 AM

About 6 years ago, we went to the store to buy dog food...wound up buying a RV. We got a great price and we are still enjoying our impulse buy. I should note that we have been avid RVers since our early 20s and I had been wanting one with slides anyway.;D BTW, the dog food was at a specialty store and it was closed by the time we got there!

Tadpole 12-02-2007 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cube_rat (Post 583681)
I went to return a shirt at Old Navy about 5 years ago and bought a new car on the way to the store. :p I promised myself to never buy a car on impulse again...although I am looking at a 2007 BMW 335i as I type this. Someone help me please.

Me too - in 1985. We went out to buy my husband a new baseball cap for his birthday and came home with a Chevy truck. Actually, we never regretted it. That truck was our favorite possession for years until a deer laid claim to it.

Martha 12-02-2007 08:28 AM

I have a problem with impulse buying but in general because I know that to be the case, I can control it.

However, I confess that I recently made a needless and impulsive buy as a result of this forum. Al was talking about microwave containers. A while later, CFB posted a link to Fatwallet, showing that Amazon had a "four sets for three" deal on pyrex glass containers. I bought four sets.

Now I have pyrex coming out of my ears and they don't even make nice presents.

dm 12-02-2007 09:06 AM

Cars are my problem. Ive bought four old Porsche's in the last few years and have found myself saying "if you want to get rid or it, let me know" to a fellow with a MGA the other day, I would have bought it on the spot if he would have given me a price. I hope he dosn't call.

Sandy 12-02-2007 09:08 AM

I am with W2R - art, generally in a higher range - about $300, and didn't leave, but got them on the spot. I still have these pieces and am glad I bought them. Most other things that I can remember other than small stuff, has been discussed/considered prior to purchase, but it may be the timing that differs.

Of course, this is probably selective memory and I am sure I made some huge wasted/impulsive purchases in the past that I can't/don't want to remember now.

MikeD 12-02-2007 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helena (Post 583770)
Speaking of briefcases... I found a beautiful natural eel skin
briefcase at an estate sale for $3. The catch was... it had a
opened... then I had the same fun with the other side... but I
finally opened it... unfortunately, there were no valuables inside...
but it was brand new and beautiful inside... and all for the cost of
three bucks... along with some time, patience and sore fingers. :coolsmiley:

My grandfather was a great scavenger. He found a brand new Sesame brand combination lock at the landfill when we were kids. He didn't know the combination but tried everything he could think of while sitting on his porch watching the cars go by. He was retired. Finally, he threw it in the trash and said to my brother "If you can open it, you can have it." My brother picked it up and decided to triy every single number starting from 0000. Pop, it opened on 0000, the first try. Boy, was grampa pissed.

Mike D.

RunningBum 12-02-2007 09:23 AM

My worst impulse buys have been stocks that I either heard good news on and tried to jump on, or tried bottom feeding when they took a dive, without properly researching them. But the results probably haven't been that much worse than my educated stock picking, and it's easy enough to see if I get buyer's remorse.

I can't think of anything else over $100 I've bought on impulse.

Robert the Red 12-02-2007 09:23 AM

In 1997, just after we closed on our new house (about twice the price of the old one), we walked through it with the glow of pride, and then went for coffee. Across the street from the coffee place was a Persian carpet place -- so we bought a $3300 rug. Had to keep it rolled up for several weeks since we were having hardwood floors put in the new house (to replace the horrible orange shag carpet which had turned off several previous buyers). The rug looked wonderful on the new floors -- practically an advertisement.

We did also get the coffee, while we mulled over the purchase for 10 minutes.

cute fuzzy bunny 12-02-2007 10:13 AM

If you're an impulse buyer, dont ever look at the fatwallet web site.

Clearly its a communicable disease that uses TCP/IP as a transmission mechanism, and the carrier need not be infected. I got Martha to buy pyrex that I didnt buy... ;)

Lets see if infectious transmission is possible...

Anyone ever wanted some of those nice Le Creuset enameled cast iron pans but didnt feel like paying $140 per pot?

Go to amazon and search for "lodge cast iron enamel" and load up. These are actually slightly heavier gauge than the Le Creusets, have a similar enameling process, and sell for a good discount. Target also carries them, and I hear you can find them here and there at Marshalls/TJ Maxx. Lodge is one of the oldest makers of cast iron cookware. If you have a product problem within the warranty period, they send you a new one and a UPS label to send the old one back.

Muhahahahaaahaaaa

Maurice 12-02-2007 10:20 AM

For me maybe $1200-1500 for a suit. That would be highly unusual though. Most of my impulse buys are books, CDs, or sheet music. In fact, most of my purchases are books, CDs, or sheet music. Any other shopping I usually look at as a chore and have to force myself to do it.

Donzo 12-02-2007 10:27 AM

About 15 years ago I was working my territory(as a rep at that time) and was in the Long beach area. I had about 45 minutes until my next appointment and stopped to look at some sailboats that were for sale. I ended up buying a 27 footer......
I put it in a slip in Marina Del Rey and it became my condo on the water and my booze cruiser(I lived in land - at Rancho Cucamonga at the time). I had a blast on that boat and sold it for close to what I had paid for it.
Wish I had kept it - it would be perfect for Lake Tahoe.

W2R 12-02-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny (Post 583846)
If you're an impulse buyer, dont ever look at the fatwallet web site.

OK, obviously I have a defective shopping gene. That site is boring to me.

Quote:

Anyone ever wanted some of those nice Le Creuset enameled cast iron pans

No. I have no desire for new pans, and they sound heavy. I don't have much time to cook anyway, while I'm working. I'd rather put the money in my ER fund.

cute fuzzy bunny 12-02-2007 10:29 AM

Alright, thats one thats clearly been vaccinated... ;)

Moemg 12-02-2007 10:35 AM

Never ever go on ebay when you are sipping wine .I've ended up with several Little souls dolls .They go for $150 and up . I do like them a lot .

Martha 12-02-2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

Lets see if infectious transmission is possible...

https://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/DGV/...204981-001.jpg

Na!Na!Na!Na!Na!Na!

bbbamI 12-02-2007 12:33 PM

Twelve years ago....one kitten (at animal shelter).

Sixteen years ago...two kittens (at animal shelter).

Martha 12-02-2007 12:57 PM

Actually, the best pans in the world are good old cast iron pans. You want old because the insides should be nice and smooth. If well seasoned, they are far more non-stick than Teflon and they last forever. We have a large collection of iron pans, the biggest of which somehow managed to fall off a steam boat somewhere sometime. I do like my Griswold pans.

And yes, you can use soap to clean seasoned pans. Just be sure to dry them as soon as you are done washing the pan.

cute fuzzy bunny 12-02-2007 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha (Post 583892)
Na!Na!Na!Na!Na!Na!

Oh look! Shoes on sale!!!

More price-match shoe deals (Womens/Ladies)... PM from Amazon to various merchants

>:D

W2R 12-02-2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny (Post 583945)

Bah, humbug!!! I already HAVE shoes. :rolleyes: Haven't ever had to go barefoot for lack of shoes. They'd just fill up my closet, anyway, and make it hard to find the ones I have. Guess that's even more money for my ER fund. $$$ It's sure going up today!

:2funny:

bbbamI 12-02-2007 05:15 PM

W2R...are you my long lost sister? :)

stargazer08 12-02-2007 06:26 PM

Went to a fundraiser assuming my contribution was the price of my dinner. They had an auction. There was a beautiful original watercolor of an Arabian stallion. My hand kept raising during bidding. My 9 hour drive home included said picture for $550. That was almost 20 years ago. I just recently gave it to my daughter since we are downsizing and I have nowhere to hang it. It was a beautiful piece and the first original artwork I owned. Funny thing is, years later I bought a horse and this stallion was its great-grandsire.

gandalf42 12-02-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helena (Post 583770)
... it had a
opened... then I had the same fun with the other side...

Worked on a found bike lock. Started at 000. The combination turned out to be in the high 900s! Oh well. :rolleyes:

cute fuzzy bunny 12-02-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want2retire (Post 583953)
Bah, humbug!!!

Oh look! $1 hour long massages from a guy named Frank!

$1 hour long massages from a guy named Frank

Goonie 12-02-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice (Post 583850)
For me maybe $1200-1500 for a suit.

Dang, I forgot about the suit. About 9 years ago I went to buy a couple of shirts off the 'sale' rack at a men's clothing store that I REALLY like. $1650 later, I walked out with a suit, a sport coat, a couple of shirts and a couple of ties.....NOTHING from the 'sale' rack! And it wasn't from sales pressure either. The clerk (owner) brought me a cup of coffee, and told me if I needed assistance to holler.

I still really like that place! How many clothing stores have a coffee bar?! I ought to go back up there before Christmas, and check out the 'sale' rack. Many times their out-of-season stuff goes for 10˘ on the $1, and I can always use another Hawaiian floweredy shirt! ;D

W2R 12-02-2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny (Post 583972)
Oh look! $1 hour long massages from a guy named Frank!

$1 hour long massages from a guy named Frank

Well now, you really fooled me! All that link led to was the Yahoo privacy policy. :duh:

OK, now THAT would be worth $1. ;D

Moemg 12-02-2007 07:27 PM

I'm much more impulsive buying gifts for other people . One Christmas I stopped at a Sports store on the way to a party and bought my SO a kayak . I also treated my Mom,my aunt and my daughter to a cruise to Bermuda .Another Christmas I gave my SO a shaving kit with two tickets to a New Orleans trip inside .Call me impulsive .It's the best money I spend .

cute fuzzy bunny 12-02-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want2retire (Post 583991)
Well now, you really fooled me! All that link led to was the Yahoo privacy policy.

WHAAA?!?

That ^@#%$ing lawyer...wait until I get my hands on him!!!

:bat:

Ronstar 12-02-2007 07:47 PM

I went to the Grand Canyon and came back with a condo in Scottsdale

calmloki 12-02-2007 08:28 PM

Rugs. Worn Old Beauties. That's something we gave ourselves permission to be frivolous about. Cost has not been a measure of value: IMO our finest is a beat up Balouch prayer that cost me a whole $50 and is utterly charming: SKY Pottery She's a pretty good potter: SKY Pottery

Our most shameful cost $5000 at auction - a big nasty Hamadan that has been acid washed. Blame it on Halogen lights and my honey's Bulldog personality. She's so embarasssed about that purchase that it stays out above the garage - she had it on the floor next to her pottery studio grinding clay dust into it.
My impulse buys tend to have been property, but i could always convince myself they were money making propositions (and sure enough, with enough extra money and work, they have been!). I am a sucker for a crusty old Griswold pan that i can clean up - still need a #6 and a #9. Martha's right - there is no better, whether old (small stamp), or real old (big stamp).

haha 12-02-2007 09:22 PM

My own impulse buys have been dogs. When I was first married we discussed getting a dog and decided against it because our living situation was just too unsettled. Then a buddy showed up with a little black lab pup and asked if we I would like it. I blurted out yes, so now we had a dog. My wife didn't speak up against it, so we didn't call him back and say we couldn’t do it. 12 years and many hunting forays later we had to put him down. Wonderful dog.

Other impulse was also a "dog", this one a freebie. He was hanging around out side our gate with a shotgun pellet wound on his side and a muzzle full of porcupine quills. We trussed him up and I pulled out the quills, and he became ours by mutual consent. Later our vet told us he wasn't a dog at all, but instead an arctic wolf. He was also a great pet, and we had him many years until he also had to be put down. He wouldn’t touch dog food. Mainly he ate mice from our field, and some meat if we gave it to him. He also didn’t bark. I am not even sure that he could bark. Great howl though!

I don't think i have ever made an impulse buy besides these, except small things that my kids wanted.

Ha

audreyh1 12-02-2007 09:28 PM

I remember that I used to be pretty bad about impulse buying in my 20s. When I got real serious about saving and investing in my 30s, the impulse buying went way down. Maybe I was too busy working as well? When we got rid of most of our "stuff" in our 40s (to move into a motorhome), my impulse buying really got nipped in the bud. After the pain of getting rid of lots of stuff PLUS not having anywhere to put it, stuff is a turnoff. Now my impulse buying is really small potatoes - an extra book here (which will be exchanged), a music download there, an extra bottle of wine, a stop at a bakery, etc. Pretty much consumable zero maintenance items.

audreyh1 12-02-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazer08 (Post 583969)
Went to a fundraiser assuming my contribution was the price of my dinner. They had an auction. There was a beautiful original watercolor of an Arabian stallion. My hand kept raising during bidding. My 9 hour drive home included said picture for $550. That was almost 20 years ago. I just recently gave it to my daughter since we are downsizing and I have nowhere to hang it. It was a beautiful piece and the first original artwork I owned. Funny thing is, years later I bought a horse and this stallion was its great-grandsire.

Wow - what an awesome story! Kind of twilight zone - no?

Audrey

kaudrey 12-03-2007 01:51 PM

I went to Florence in 2000 and planned to buy a leather jacket. I did, and then about 10 minutes later bought a $110 gold ring that I still wear to this day.

I bought a hand-woven rug in Ronda in Spain in 2004 that I had to carry in a plastic bag because I had traveled there with a 22' suitcase and a backpack, and they couldn't ship it. It was a bargain at $40.

Oh, and I ended up buying a throw blanket with Air Force One on it because it was a charity event and a friend of mine donated it to the cause. I got that for $120. Wine was definitely involved in that one! :)

Khan 12-03-2007 02:29 PM

I do semi-impulse shopping: I'll happen upon a sale and buy something, but I'd been researching for months and know I have that much available to spend.

Enuff2Eat 12-03-2007 02:38 PM

bought a house at an auction without even looking at it or know where it was. i was a good buy. i just don't recomended to anyone.

enuff

deserat 12-03-2007 02:39 PM

Uhh - went to yarn store to buy yarn for sweater for friend and walked out with two skeins of *awesome* cashmere at $33 apiece for 95 yards for a scarf for me - does mulling over it for 30-60 minutes in the store count????????

Actually, I've been buying yarn for years and this is some of the most amazing cashmere I've ever felt - most wool makes me itch -this does not - probably why it costs so much - extra long hairs from those Kasmir goats.

REWahoo 12-03-2007 02:57 PM

Impulse buying? Nope, never been an Isuzu fan. Partial to Hondas though...

FinanceDude 12-03-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 584176)
Impulse buying? Nope, never been an Isuzu fan. Partial to Hondas though...

:D:D I had an Isuzu Impulse once.............:o

Meadbh 12-03-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goonie (Post 583986)
Dang, I forgot about the suit. About 9 years ago I went to buy a couple of shirts off the 'sale' rack at a men's clothing store that I REALLY like. $1650 later, I walked out with a suit, a sport coat, a couple of shirts and a couple of ties.....NOTHING from the 'sale' rack! And it wasn't from sales pressure either. The clerk (owner) brought me a cup of coffee, and told me if I needed assistance to holler.

I still really like that place! How many clothing stores have a coffee bar?! I ought to go back up there before Christmas, and check out the 'sale' rack. Many times their out-of-season stuff goes for 10˘ on the $1, and I can always use another Hawaiian floweredy shirt! ;D

Oh no! Now I have contributed to delaying your FIRE!

Goonie 12-03-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meadbh (Post 584212)
Oh no! Now I have contributed to delaying your FIRE!

Nope...been FIRE'd since the first week of April!

However, since I'm not into suits anymore (literally), I'm donating everything to a local resale shop that funds the local hospital auxiliary. I'm keeping 2 sport coats to wear to "formal" events (1 light weight for spring/summer & 1 corduroy for fall/winter).

Rambler 12-03-2007 05:49 PM

Last summer I bought a Toyota Tundra, 4 door. I went looking for a Tacoma 4 door with a v6, but after lookingth around for a while, I found that the Tundra was actually cheaper with the incentives, and with the 5.7L V8 it can pull about 4000lbs more (amazing 381 HP)...and the gas mileage is only about 1mpg lower than the Tacoma. That's about as impulsive as I get...getting a better deal for something better than I planned on...

Rambler

Siv 12-03-2007 08:29 PM

My boots are 6-7 years old. Going to work, my husband saw my shoes and said...you need new ones. Where's the ferragamo I bought you? Well...I don't like it very much, it wasn't my choice. Last week, I went out with our 5 months old baby, a store is having a sale and I just happen to be in "mood" I usually decide long and hard to purchase something. This time, BAM...! came out with 2 pairs...fortunately it's not some "expensive" brand like LV, GUcci....so we're safe here :-)

Meadbh 12-03-2007 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khan (Post 584161)
I do semi-impulse shopping: I'll happen upon a sale and buy something, but I'd been researching for months and know I have that much available to spend.

That's more like "fortune favours the prepared". :)

TickTock 12-03-2007 09:11 PM

I agree. DW and I typically do research and know the 'look' that we want for furniture and home decorations.

Once we were looking for a piece for a room for several months. Wandering through a Hobby Lobby while DW was buying her craft stuff, I happened to wander by the perfect piece. I went to DW and told her I'd found the right one. She was sceptical - until she saw it.

We bought it and took it home.

DW does NOT do redecorating - she thinks long and hard beforehand on what she really wants! :angel:

retiringby50 12-05-2007 01:45 AM

Friends invited us to FAO Schwartz, the expensive toy store, because they were having a fundraiser/silent auction and our NFL team were going to have players there. We left with a framed jersey for $450. It's in our living room wall, probably too prominent, but it's the most expensive "art work" we own. You folks have some great stories. Most of my impulsive buys are like Starbucks frappuchino or sashimi at the grocery store.

saluki9 12-05-2007 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cube_rat (Post 583681)
although I am looking at a 2007 BMW 335i as I type this. Someone help me please.

Sorry CR, it's worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY

This car is simply amazing.

free4now 12-13-2007 07:57 PM

On Black Friday this year I wasn't planning on doing any shopping, but happenned to be driving past an outlet mall and decided to check and see what was going on. There were some amazing deals and I ended up shopping 5 hours and spending about $400. I purchased lots of things that I needed anyway at great prices. I did notice a trend though: the items purchased towards the end of the shopping marathon were much less useful than the ones purchased at the beginning. One of the last items I purchased were some good looking italian style shoes. At $40 they seemed like a great deal, until I got them home and realized I hadn't even looked at the soles. The soles are house-slipper-style nubs, completely unsuitable for wearing outside the house. So now I have a pair of shoes that are way too stylish and tight fitting to wear comfortably around the house but that's the only place I can wear them. Considering it would take 2.5 hours roundtrip to return them plus gas, I think they're going to end up sitting in the closet for a while before I resign myself to giving them away to Salvation Army. My only solace is that I feel like I understand women a little better now.