Financial definition help needed, please!

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here is the study I am talking about:
How the States Stack Up

When they speak of Wealth Assets, like in the following, do I have the definitions right?

Mixed assets is stocks and bonds?
Salary is salary (obvious)
Real assets is real estate and tangibles (coins, art, antiques)
Retirement assets is pensions
Friendliness is income from investments and pensions both?

I tried looking at an investor's dictionary, but this is what I could guess the answers were. I know someone out there is knowledgeable about this, so can you help me understand this?

Tax friendly is just a relative measure of comparing each state's tax expenses to other states. I guessing that income from rent or business ownership is taxed differently than salary income in some states, is why two family examples have those different income sources.

So there are 4 hypothetical families with different incomes as explained on the far left side of the article. The author figured their state taxes (income, sales, RE, and personal property/car/gas taxes) for every state. The state tax cost for each family type was then ranked in the first 4 major columns. The tax friendly column was the average of each state's score for all four family types. Alaska scored 9, 10, 3, 2, so its average was 6. That average number was graded on the curve to give 4 letter grades to the whole list in the tax friendly column.

It is a good state tax study since the data includes the other taxes in those states with no state income taxes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom