Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Money magazine = worth it really? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/money-magazine-worth-it-really-33586.html)

Sarah in SC 02-27-2008 03:19 PM

For the LTC insurance, what I'd want to buy at 60 is a policy that covers in home care, not all that worried about the nursing home coverage, since I'd rather stay at home anyway if possible.

yakers 02-27-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 620409)
Does anyone think any of the financial magazines are worth a subscription?

Just buy a copy of The Economist and see if you like it. I have had a subscription for about 30 years now. The rest of my information I get on the web. Or I post a question here or at VG diehards board and they don't even charge .5%AUM.:coolsmiley:

Midpack 02-27-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakers (Post 621397)
Just buy a copy of The Economist and see if you like it. I have had a subscription for about 30 years now. The rest of my information I get on the web. Or I post a question here or at VG diehards board and they don't even charge .5%AUM.:coolsmiley:

I do read The Economist periodically (get it) but I'm not a subscriber. I don't consider it a financial magazine, much broader than that IMHO. Friend of mine is a fanatic reader, and I'd agree with both of you, The Economist is one of the best magazines around. When I'm in an airport facing a long flight, TE is usually what I'll buy for the times I can't just listen/watch my iPod.

Orchidflower 02-28-2008 08:52 AM

I'll have to 3rd that on The Economist. My son gets it by subscription, and I "borrow" his to read.

OldGuy 02-28-2008 12:21 PM

Nords hit it when he wrote, "...it's hard to find a magazine worth paying for when you can read it on the Web."

I/we subscribe to a few magazines: Kiplingers, Cottage Living [unh-unh, not mine he said] & SI (all three are new, for $2/ea/yr courtesy of a crcard mailing), Money (the Classic Comic Book of financial mags), Proceedings (another life member) & the usual newsletters/mags associated with memberships. With more periodicals now offering electronic versions of their paper issues, why stick with paper? Why subscribe at all?

I just got an email from BoatUS - as a member, I get their monthly magazine. Now they're pushing the electronic version of the mag & want members to opt out of the printed version. And it's really a better way to read their stuff - easy search capabilities, cut-and-paste articles to send/save... I've gone through 2 issues so far, and it's growing on me as a way to read what they've written.

I can see it coming; when will they start to charge for the "privilege" of getting a printed copy in the mail? The conversion to e-magazines may give some of us old dogs a headache, but doesn't it really make sense to move away from paper?

samclem 02-28-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGuy (Post 621759)
I can see it coming; when will they start to charge for the "privilege" of getting a printed copy in the mail?

Well, there's plenty of precedent.

"You say that you want the actual checks you wrote physically mailed back to you after we process them at the bank? Why would anyone want that? Hey, Trixie--come over here and listen to what this guy is asking us to do."

Milton 02-28-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeRuh (Post 620376)
Would definitely admit that a lot of the material is "same ol-same-ol" and articles tend to become somewhat redundant.

Just like 95% of all magazines (financial and non-financial). Waste of time and money IMHO; but if you find it entertaining reading, then $10 p.a. doesn't seem like a lot.

Lsbcal 02-28-2008 02:50 PM

I'm another one that gets The Economist. The first section I read is Finance because you'll sometimes find good articles that are fairly incisive on economic trends. Articles on other countries give you a decent sense of the world from less of an American-centric prespective.

The rest of the mags I peek at in the library.

Lsbcal 02-29-2008 10:14 AM

"Economist ... targets smart people", I knew there was a reason I subscribe to it: The Economist is beating the odds in the U.S. - MarketWatch

W2R 02-29-2008 10:21 AM

Frank's father subscribed to The Economist, and would leave it for Frank and me to read each week after he glanced through it.

He passed away last Easter, and we miss him dreadfully. Just to add to it, we no longer have The Economist to look forward to each week. If I were to subscribe to a magazine, that would be one to consider.