Are you afraid to look poor?

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Probably not a concern for the serious ER folks:

Are you afraid to look poor? - MSN Money

• Does wearing cheap clothes make you queasy? You don't mind getting a steal on designer duds but you shun secondhand stores, consignment shops and anything with the words "Old" or "Navy" in it. You would swear that everyone can smell it when you spend $9.99 on a shirt.
  • Are you embarrassed to use coupons? You love the concept of saving money, and those two-for-ones are a little tempting, but you'd rather die than stand at the register while people watch (impatiently) as you hand over little pieces of clipped paper. It screams cheapskate.

:2funny:

You're right!! That really seems nutty to me and probably to a lot of others here.

Are you afraid to look poor?

Not in the slightest, in fact I have to work at not looking like an "inverse snob". When we were poor we certainly didn't borrow money to keep up appearances, we just did without luxuries like a reliable car and even after we had good jobs we still had an old car and didn't have a TV for several years which amazed most of our colleagues.

Im ashamed to admit I have some underwear with holes and socks too.

Its a burden I shall carry.

I suppose you're going to tell me that my Kirkland jeans lack cache... :p

Do I look poor in worn to a frazzle coveralls, workboots, plowshirt and sweatstained gimme hat?

Does not bother me in the slightest. If it were not for DW I would be even cheaper.
I second that emotion. Right now I'm sitting in a pair of faded frayed jeans which I also wore to the supermarket a while ago. I'm at that stage of life where I don't have to give a rat's ass about how I appear in a casual situation, such as running an errand.

Now going out, say, to a nice restaurant is a different. But I still wear (dress) jeans with a nice shirt and maybe a jacket. But that's the point. In the 2 1/2 years that I've been retired, there have been only two outings in which I wore something other than jeans. :D

These days, I'm built for comfort, not for speed. So tee shirts, jeans/shorts and flip flops are my attire. Stopped giving a crap about what people thought about me and my threads a long time ago.

Im ashamed to admit I have some underwear with holes and socks too.

What's that joke about religious underwear?

They're holy... :rolleyes:

Yep, but at least they didn't set you back much cash, eh? :)

He shoots, he scores...

Do I look poor in worn to a frazzle coveralls, workboots, plowshirt and sweatstained gimme hat?

Unclemick?

Back in the 70s, I used to wear cut-off overalls.

These days, I'm built for comfort, not for speed. So tee shirts, jeans/shorts and flip flops are my attire. Stopped giving a crap about what people thought about me and my threads a long time ago.

The Howlin' Wolf of fashion... :D

I'm dreaming of the day when people say this about me: "That guy looks like your average Joe Sixpack. You'd never know he's a millionaire by lookin' at him."

Hank (Future retired millionaire)

I love consignment stores. Why pay 3x the price for something that's basically the same quality?

Coupons are nice, but they are too much work to keep track of. I haven't used many in the last year because I can't usually find them when I need them. In fact I can't even keep track of gift cards. Just give cash, please. I don't want to blow $50 in Pottery Barn just because I got a gift card.

Back in the '60s my father would wear his Navy officer whites from WWII with large rips in the rear and knees when working in the front yard on weekends. The thing is, he was a noted plastic surgeon and their house was on a main arterial in the (then) classy area of the city. This drove my mother crazy. His comment was - "If they don't like what they see, shouldn't look".

The clothes I wore to work while programming at a small aerospace company in
the 1980's were so ratty that a memo was circulated around the business park to
beware - a homeless man was sneaking in to shower (I was showering after my
noon workout).

The older I get, the less I care about what anyone thinks...

Of course the companies that own the brands and marketers hope you fall for it.

No, I'm not afraid to look poor. Nothing about how we live or look is fancy. Our house is small, our truck is old, and our clothes are comfortable. Not ashamed to use coupons--just happy to get a better deal. I think most people on this forum could care less about looking poor. We're not the keep up with the Joneses types.

$9.99 for a shirt! Far Far too much. Since I retired second hand stores all the way except for winter wear that I could not find second hand. I will pay for comfort if need be though.

Bruce

Probably not a concern for the serious ER folks:

I am shocked, shocked:duh: I tell you that at the answers to this question.

Folks if you aren't out there consuming how is American business going to continue to make increased profits and allows us to continue our retirement. :)

nope, but i don't wear crummy clothes unless working out in the yard.
i have more clothes than i know what to do with. all bought on sale of course.:D former j*b clothes may being given away (blazers, dress suits, fancy shirts) if i don't find a need for them.
day home attire is sweats and t shirt. if i venture out, jeans and t shirt/sweatshirt. i dress up a little if going to lunch.

I've always worn great thrift store finds with a diamond tennis bracelet, diamond studs in my ears and a Gucci watch. Is this not normal? Mix and match I always say as they never know, anyway.

I'd be far more slovenly if I could get away with it. These days DW makes me throw away a perfectly good pair of khakis just because they have a few frayed threads or a spot where the color has lightened.

I work in a very expensive, well-to-do area. A couple of years ago (before we had a dress code at work), I walked into a store and asked if they had leads for my mechanical pencil. The saleslady looked at me as if I had just pulled a dog turd out of my pocket and (after composing herself) politely said that they sold no such thing. I could see the leads in a package behind the counter.

I'm more afraid of looking like I have to work the rest of my life to pay for all my toys, for my brand new $50,000 car and McMansion.

Sometimes I think I should put one of those bumper stickers on our tiny little house: "Don't laugh -- it's paid for!" :2funny:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom