Newbie Vanguard EFT question

Ronnieboy

Full time employment: Posting here.
O.K., I am a newbie and I was under the impression that if I purchased Vanguard EFT's through my account at Vanguard on their website, there wouldn't be any commission fees. Isn't that was Vanguard is famous for, low expense ratio and (I thought) no commission on their own EFT's.

I was just about to purchase some VTI and in doing some reading it seems there is a commission. I just want to confirm this with anyone else on this board who has purchased VG EFT's and make sure it just isn't my eyes going buggy at this point :)

Thanks

If you want 100 free commissions per year, then open a PMA at WellsFargo and keep $25K there in investments. Not only can you purchase all the ETFs you want, you can even purchase Vanguard mutual funds without a commission. The WF PMA is so good with free everything, you can even ditch your current checking account.

What you can do is purchase the Vanguard Total Stock market fund commission free.
In general you are better off purchasing the funds rather than ETF especially if you have 100K or more an can purchase the lower cost admiral fund. Vanguard has a handy calculator to let you see which is cheaper the ETF or the fund.

Vanguard brokerage charges relatively high commissions ~$25 vs ~$10 for most major discount brokers. So if having an existing broker I'd stick with them to buy the Vanguard ETF, if you simply want to invest money in say the total stock market as long term investment open an account with vanguard and the fund.

Back
Top Bottom