Anthem Blue Cross - for ER

Disappointed

Recycles dryer sheets
Just received this invitation to get quotation from Anthem Blue Cross (in California). Looks like they are targeting early retirees. It starts with "What does retiring early mean to you?"

Has anybody bought a policy from them lately?

You can get a quotation by going to myplan.anthem.com/K989.

My wife and I, both are 54 yrs old will cost around $560/mo (see deductible and details on their website).

mP

Your link led to Anthem's start-up page for quotes, not the plan details, so I'm not able to comment on the specifics.

I have compared and shopped for a policy using ehealthinsurance.com Health Insurance, Medical Insurance, Individual Health Insurance Quotes. Typing in a California zip code and two birthdates for 54-year-olds, it appears Anthem policies are competitive.

I used ehealthinsurance to shop last year when I needed a temporary policy for a period between employer coverages. Their on-line application and sign-up process worked well for me.

Do you plan on having a HSA? You'll want to evaluate this before buying, because some policies are compatible, some are not. http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/health-savings-accounts-hsa-30762.html

Just received this invitation to get quotation from Anthem Blue Cross (in California). Looks like they are targeting early retirees. It starts with "What does retiring early mean to you?"

Has anybody bought a policy from them lately?

You can get a quotation by going to myplan.anthem.com/K989.

My wife and I, both are 54 yrs old will cost around $560/mo (see deductible and details on their website).

mP

BluecrossBlueshield, whatever, the region, are generally a pretty decent outfit to go with. Usually give you the largest or one of the largest pools of doctors who are in their --BCBS--preferred network. Which means lowest out-of-pocket expense for you.

Not knowing the full details of the coverage offered, but assuming it is close to "the usual", that $560/month for two 50+ y.o.'s sounds quite reasonable.

In NW area, Regence BCBS is a non-profit org, we have been with for 30 some years, during employment, and now as retirees. Always satisfied with their claims payment service, their pool of doctors (largest pool in our area), and always competitive with the other insurers available.

Doubt you can go wrong with Anthem BCBS as a company. I would pay attention to the exact details of the coverage plan you choose from them. Be sure you are choosing the particular plan which will work best for you.

Blue Cross and Anthem Merger

As of the beginning of April 2008, Blue Cross of California and other states is altering its brand to Anthem Blue Cross. Does anyone have an idea of how this will affect its acceptance, its prices, its availability -- and especially -- its services? The Blue Cross name has been around for what... at least 70 years? Is changing it to Anthem Blue Cross going to help or hurt the brand and the company's reputation?

I think our BCBS is also part of that, and the spin they give it is that you can get covered health care anywhere in the country from Anthem providers. If accurate that is a nice benefit for retirees or others who plan to travel a lot.

But forgive me if I hesitate -- the industry is not always completely reliable in terms of saying one thing and doing another, unless you read the very fine print and even then...

I think our BCBS is also part of that, and the spin they give it is that you can get covered health care anywhere in the country from Anthem providers. If accurate that is a nice benefit for retirees or others who plan to travel a lot.

But forgive me if I hesitate -- the industry is not always completely reliable in terms of saying one thing and doing another, unless you read the very fine print and even then...
You would need the network and also the policy coverage. I know BCBS, UHC amd Aetna all cover most of the country, but each sells many policies that only have broad coverage on a local basis with limited coverage away from the home area. Kind of like roaming...

It is also a good option for those that have 2nd homes or extended vacations.

Michael

Any company/policy provide overseas coverage in case you spend a good portion of your ER outside of this country?

mP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom