Tinker,Sailor,Soldier.....Jack of some trades...

ls99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
After three or so years of reading forums, signed up. I've retired almost two years ago. Thanks to the valuable info on ER, left my last j*b of 15 yrs.in Public Transit.
I'm an Immigrant, 1965, (my papers are in order),
grin.gif
. Got drafted in 67, beat the draft by a few weeks so my service number began with RA. . I earned the the right to be US Citizen.
Then spent some time traveling the seas on a research vessel.
From there, on to seismology tech, about 14 years on and off in the Aleutians. Yes very familiar with the Elbow room in Dutch Harbor.
When mountains got too tall to hike. Went on to Public Transit, Light rail.
So now man of leisure with some demands by DW for honeydoo jobs.

I do enjoy the banter and very often beneficial info passed around on the forums. Thanks to all the "usual suspects" for their insight.

English is a foreign language to me, so if if butcher the odd sentence, do laugh. It is too late in life for perfection.

Butcher away with the rest of us... A new language takes a lifetime. Most of us blame fat fingers or a sip of a spirit.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've had a variety of interesting experiences in the w*rking world, I'm looking forward to hearing more about it and about your ER life.

Thanks for your military service during a troubled time.

English is a foreign language to me, so if if butcher the odd sentence, do laugh. It is too late in life for perfection.

English is my first language . . . and my second. I am fluent in neither.

Welcome aboard. It sounds like you have had a variety of interesting experiences, and I hope you share more with us.

Welcome and good to hear you are enjoying your well-earned retirement.

Are you lucky enought, having been in light rail and public transit, to have pensions to ease your way through retirement? If so, you are among the vanishing few.

Enjoy the board and don't hesitate to contribute.

Thanks all for the welcome. No, RiT, I exited before age 65. Was sick of political correctness, and re-education camps. Not enough years for "proper retirement". I'll be eligible for a way reduced pension @65. Having exhausted COBRA, I have PA Highmark, self pay, $580.- or so with all sorts of deductibles, but no pre-existing exclusions. DW has her own coverage from Federal retirement.
I did live a life that most don't get to do over several re-incarnations. Would not change any of it, good or bad.

No, not retired in AK. I'm in southwest PA. Alaska has many extremes, in climate and beauty. I got around a bit of the interior, which can get VERY COLD in winter.
Am mostly familiar withe Aleutian islands. Temperate temperatures, birthplace of winds. Several volcanoes, mostly dormant.
Great skinny dipping in the Bering Sea, if you find a hot spring nearby. The islands stretch a looooooong way west of Anchorage. Most towns have dirt or planks for roads. Fishing and hunting is great. Never kill a bear out of season, penalties are severe.
Living is very expensive. Think: everything gets in by plane or boat. So if you crave the hardy life go for it. Oh, and never call an Aleut an Eskimo.

Back
Top Bottom