Adding microcap to your portfolio?

I am in midst of adding micro cap. Looking at Bridgeway family of funds in particular.

I need to wait for my old 401k to rollover to current 401k, then I am using a self directed brokerage to invest in some more aggressive mutual funds which include microcaps. My 401k represents about 25% of my overall portfolio.

It will be allocated similar to this:

30% large cap (core)
15% aggressive large cap (concentrated position)
10% mid cap (core)
5% aggressive mid cap
10% small cap (core)
5% micro cap (aggressive)
25% diversified international

International is diversified because I have not found any aggressive global funds which intrigued me. I might do 20% core and 5% aggressive or 15%-5%-5% if I find two international/global funds with an aggressive edge to them.

I have wamvx, waiox, and ryotx for micro-cap. I haven't had them in significant enough amounts and for long enough to see the effects on the portfolio. They're 10% of my current portfolio.

Dan

I have Mainstay Small Cap Opportunity in my 401k and put a small bit that way each month. Am also thinking about asking for the Satuit microcap to be added to our choices, but I may wait till a bit further along in the year.

I would if i could figure out a way to find out/research about IPOs or recently released stocks/companies going public in the two sectors I'm very familiar with. I'd love to toss $500 or so at individual small stocks that sounded promising then put them in a notebook, set it and forget it.

I would if i could figure out a way to find out/research about IPOs or recently released stocks/companies going public in the two sectors I'm very familiar with. I'd love to toss $500 or so at individual small stocks that sounded promising then put them in a notebook, set it and forget it.

American Association of Independent investors AAII.com has a shadow stock portfolio which is essential a screen for profitable microcaps stocks that are selling for less than there book value. Allegedly the long (15+ year) performance of the portfolio is quite good.

I tried following it for a while, but it is remarkably hard to establish even a small $3-5,000 position in a stock worth under $100 million. There are number of great research tools on the web. I use Morningstar. At the end of the day you do need to read the SEC filing for most of the companies. This may be too much work for a $500 or even a $5,000 investment.

I ended up switching to RMT which is the close end equivalent of the Royce MicroCap fund ryotx.

We have DFSCX in all but our most conservative portfolios.

My recollection is that as a sector IPOs underperform the overall market and only a small percentage of them do really well.

Back
Top Bottom