Labor/Profit in construction

Trek

Full time employment: Posting here.
What's the typical profit percentage above materials in typical home construction/renovation in the U.S.?

For example, you hire a guy to remodel your bathroom (or whatever) and the materials cost X. How much typically is added on for labor in your area?

I know there a countless variables, but still, some rough figure.

X + 15%, 25%, 50%, 100%?

When we built our home we figured the labor cost were about 60%. Hard to figure as different things had different labor cost. Cabinets -Skilled carpenter, Foundation - lost of steel and cement 5 day laborers.

We are building a covered screened porch right now and have spent about $7000 on materials so far, will spend about $8000-8500 in total, I think. My DH is doing all the work himself, so it is a slow-moving project :)

We were quoted $18-20K by contractors bidding for the work, so I bet 40% materials, 60% labor & profit is about right - at least for this type of project.

Charlotte

Maybe not helpful, but my BIL said he charges ~$100/sf for a bathroom remodel. I'm sure that's a fairly generic amount, subject to wide variability...

The hourly paycheck rate in my area for a pretty good licensed contractor tends to run around $30-40 for a framer, a little less for a roofer or fence guy, a little more for a tile and stone guy, and around $65-80 for a plumber or electrician.

Profit margins are all over the place. They're slimming and getting very competitive right now.

I'm having about 100k worth of work done for about 60k, which is almost at cost, for siding, windows, stucco, tile work and fencing. I am having to sleep with the construction company owners sister for these rates, so some sacrifice is definitely taking place.

you can generally figure percentage on a new build but tougher on renov. on smaller jobs the contractor will get a larger percentage when you are using cheaper materials because it will generally take the same work regardless of quality. a cheap sink or an expensive one will carry the same installation cost.

when i renovated (most all interior surfaces, flooring, new kitchen, new bath, crown molding, etc) i think the contractor got about 40% of total cost. had i torn down the house & built new, i don't think the contractor would get even 5% of total building cost (been a while since i've been in construction so i might be wrong on that but i seem to recall that architects get about 6% out of which they pay engineers and gc's get less.)

We are building a covered screened porch right now and have spent about $7000 on materials so far, will spend about $8000-8500 in total, I think. My DH is doing all the work himself, so it is a slow-moving project :)

We were quoted $18-20K by contractors bidding for the work, so I bet 40% materials, 60% labor & profit is about right - at least for this type of project.

Charlotte

This fits right in with my one-size-fits-all formula:
1/3 material
1/3 labor
1/3 profit

+/- 10 % in each category for quality of material, level of skill required, etc.

Back
Top Bottom