Oil Price vs. Declining Dollar

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I see this referenced so many times in the news as the big/little/not-at-all cause for oil's runup, but no real data provided.

So I did a very simple calculation.

Oil has doubled since this time last year. That's a 100% increase.

The Dollar has declined from ~$1.22 per Euro to ~$1.57 per Euro, about a 28% drop in value using $1.22 as the base.

So only a little over a quarter of the increase in the price of oil is due to the decline of the Dollar over the one year time frame.

Seems simple, am I missing something?

I see this referenced so many times in the news as the big/little/not-at-all cause for oil's runup, but no real data provided.

So I did a very simple calculation.

Oil has doubled since this time last year. That's a 100% increase.

The Dollar has declined from ~$1.22 per Euro to ~$1.57 per Euro, about a 28% drop in value using $1.22 as the base.

So only a little over a quarter of the increase in the price of oil is due to the decline of the Dollar over the one year time frame.

Seems simple, am I missing something?
You make a good point. I'd like to add, parenthetically, that you are assuming that the Euro is a constant standard. Maybe it would be preferable to assess the decline of the dollar relative to commodities such as gold or silver?

Recently I looked at the dollar effect on the price of gasoline and approached it from a different methodology and a longer time frame. I've already tossed my notes, but my back of the envelope numbers indicated that the weak dollar added a little over 30% in nine years. My method was to look at retail US gas prices vs. those of countries like France, Germany, Belgium, and the UK.

just checked using daily data over the past 3 years: every 1% decline in the value of the $ (major currencies index) apparently* yields about a 3% increase in the price of oil (west texas crude). (*since there are other things going on that effect the price of oil, this is very important word!) using shorter periods of time, the effect is considerably greater (about 4.4% over the past one year).

Back
Top Bottom