USAA or Vanguard

johnk

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello,

Am trying to decide whether to execute a financial plan, devised by a USAA CFP, involving about 12 positions in USAA and non-USAA funds. The non-USAA funds will involve ca. $500 to establish initial positions in the brokerage! Seems steep. The adviser seems competent but the folks over at Bogleheads have more or less torn it apart. I'd appreciate any feedback on folks who've had experience with USAA advising services and the equivalent at Vanguard and how they've fared. Thanks, John.

johnk, I have experience with both and agree with the folks at Bogleheads - go with Vanguard. USAA advisors are better than most but their funds and brokerage costs aren't that great. You'll have a tough time finding a better overall value than Vanguard.

I'd appreciate any feedback on folks who've had experience with USAA advising services and the equivalent at Vanguard and how they've fared. Thanks, John.
I've been with USAA for over 25 years.

If you want to insure your car or your house or your personal liability, then go to USAA. IIRC one of the "A"s stands for "automobile".

If you want someone to invest your money, or if you want someone to tell you how to invest your money, then go to Fidelity or Vanguard. They charge less and they have a better track record.

I would go with the one that has a good reputation, is least expensive and helps me achieve my goals.

I have not used USAA... but I know people that do and they seem pleased with it.

IMHO - VG is the lowest cost MF company and they have a good reputation.

USAA has some decent funds, but they tend to be much costlier than Vanguard's. More often than not I would prefer the Vanguard funds -- though despite the costs, USAA's gold fund (USAGX) is one of the best there is and that is certainly one USAA fund I would hold (and do).

Thank you for your responses. I very much appreciate it. John.

Another Ditto to Nords. I transferred my USAA funds to Vanguard a few years back. Big difference in costs/fees.

I've used USAA for banking and insurance for years and have always been a happy customer. I sold some inherited USAA funds long ago and am now primarily with Vanguard and a few other companies (not USAA), and have been satisfied there as well. It would be hard to go wrong choosing Vanguard.

Back
Top Bottom