New Vanguard Int'l Index Fund

Lusitan

Full time employment: Posting here.
More low cost international index choices, can only be good for investors. Or only more confusing/difficult to choose...

Vanguard introduced a new international index fund, this one appears to track the FTSE All-World Index.

Yes, I invested $5,000 in VTWSX last Friday to start the Admiral shares clock running. I had been waiting for it to open. Once they offer Admiral shares, it will probably become my primary destination for new equity money.

I have been more of a slice-and-dicer, but now I'm starting to think I should gradually move to a very simple portfolio that I can easily describe on one page. I want my wife to be able to maintain our investments in her later years. With Roth-IRAs, Traditional-IRAs, and straight investment account containers, life is complex enough before adding slice-and-dice. If I can get the investment portion of the problem down to first sell everything but VTWSX, a bond fund, and a MM fund, and then maintain a fixed ratio between VTWSX and the bond fund, with a few months cash in the MM fund, she may avoid giving 1% or more a year to some "adviser" some day.

I definitely think it is good for the investor, just joking that now it will add another choice/point of deliberation for all the people considering which fund to buy.

A long time ago (last year) I was thinking about waiting for the FTSE all-world ex-us fund, but I went Dodge and Cox international instead and Vanguard TSM for US.

With this, it seems like I could combine the two and possibly pick up other classes such as REITs or commodities for exposure or small-value for tilt. Simplified, I know, but I'm boring like that. What am I missing?

I have been holding the old Vanguard Total International Stock Index. This may be a better choice, but I have to look at it in more detail. Just saw the article when I was logging into Vanguard today.

I also have the Total International Index and have been eyeing these FTSE World Indexes. It's a good thing that ETF shares are available (expense ratio is .25%) since the expenses on the investor shares are a bit high (.40 ex-us, .45 world) and Admiral shares aren't available. I'll use the ex-us fund because I can add US exposure more efficiently myself. A few bonuses for the FTSE ex-US fund (over Total International), is that the FTSE includes Canada, and also allows you to take advantage of the foreign tax credit (the Total International does not). Since these funds are new they also have small unrealized capital gains.

Also FTSE World Index has less exposure the US market than most US investors desire. Vanguard's web site doesn't indicate the holdings, but I think it's around 40-45% US.

Back
Top Bottom