State Sales Tax Holidays

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Some states offer sales tax holidays around the beginning of the school year, or at other times of the year. Check out USA.gov's link to see if your state has upcoming sales tax holidays and to find out which types of items will be tax-free.

Sales Tax Holidays

Seem to be cutting back big time. None or shorter periods and lesser amounts when compared to 2007. Sign of the times?

Seem to be cutting back big time. None or shorter periods and lesser amounts when compared to 2007. Sign of the times?
That and the fact that governments don't know how to save surpluses in good times to cushion the bad. Maybe if they did, they wouldn't have to raise taxes or cut spending at the worst time -- in a weak economy.

ziggy29, made me think of this comment I came across recently:

I could be wrong — Crooked Timber
Here’s a sentence from a leader in The Economist :

If Mr Brown had fattened the public finances during the good times, as he should have done [emphasis added] , then this [mounting a fiscal rescue package] would be no bad thing.

Now what Brown actually did during the good times was to invest in public services that had been underinvested in for decades: fixing the roof whilst the sun was shining. Maybe some of that money was unwisely spent (I don’t doubt it). Here’s what I’m interested in: did the Economist call, back then, for the use of tax revenues to “fatten the public finances”? Or did they favour lower taxes?

People don't want to pay taxes in the first place, but paradoxically would probably rather seem them being continuously paid out in salaries and services, useless or not, than sitting in a rainy-day fund.

If few citizens are saver ants, imagine how few the politician saver ants.

We've been in Oregon since early June. We've been enjoying a loooooong sales tax holiday!

Except they do tax RV sites - darn it! But not if you stay in a state park.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom