Attached Images: Eliminate the Middleman

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I really like the fact that the forum allows us to upload large images.

It would be nice if you clicked on the thumbnail and saw the full-sized image, the way it used to work. Now, when you click on an image, an intermediate-size image appears (somewhat smaller than the current browser window), and you have to click on it again to see the full image. The software used to scale down the image doesn't do a great job, so the quality suffers (jaggies, for example).

View.jpg

I'll bet that most users don't even realize they never get to the full-sized photo. I see the advantage of getting an image that's optimized for the browser window, but some images look better full-sized, even if scrolling is necessary. Many users probably don't realize they are missing the full image.

A comparison of resized and non-resized images:

Resized

Resized.jpg

Not Resized

NotResized.jpg

I didn't realize you could upload images to the forum. I thought you had to refer to images stored elsewhere like Photobucket or else they would appear as an attachment link. What tags do you use to inline an image?

You can upload images here if you like. Once you open the reply editor - click "go advanced" and you will see this option, by scrolling down a bit to 'manage attachments' Click and follow the prompts.

Uploaded images appear at the end of a post.

Attachments

• er load1.jpg
    er load1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3
How do you attach an image inline, so that a guest can see the image rather than xxx.jpg?

put 'img' in square quotes, then the url of the image, then /img in square quotes. Or click on that icon of a picture in the reply toolbar to the right of the little earth with the chain link and to the left of the voice bubble box.

or just drag the image from one window into the message window you are typing in.

Seems to work within the browser for me.

-ERD50

Let me try to be more specific.

If I logout and look at T-Al's posts above (#1 and #2), all I see are the words View.jpg in #1 and Resized.jpg and NotResized.jpg in #2. I have to log in to see the actual images.

When I look at T-Al's post today "Fantastic Experience with Fellow Forum Member", I can see the actual images without logging in.

What is the difference, and T-Al, how did you do this?

What is the difference, and T-Al, how did you do this?
The difference is that in the "Fantastic" post, I uploaded the images to another location (photobucket.com) and linked to them (using the "Insert Image" toolbar button, and for the others, I had uploaded them to this forum (using the Attachments button).

How do you attach an image inline, so that a guest can see the image rather than xxx.jpg?

How do you attach a missive at the bottom of the reply post - i.e., like T-Al's one or CFB's one?

How do you attach a missive at the bottom of the reply post - i.e., like T-Al's one or CFB's one?

At the top of the page, go to UserCP This brings up your own page. At the lest, click edit details. A page comes up where you can put in a signature line.

Attempting to upload a picture...just testing. Sorry.

Attachments

• Maddie 8 weeks.jpg
    Maddie 8 weeks.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 3
Testing..wow, that's cool, you poor people, now it's even easier for me!

Attachments

• IMG_3741.jpg
    IMG_3741.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 4
At the top of the page, go to UserCP This brings up your own page. At the lest, click edit details. A page comes up where you can put in a signature line.

Thanks. Testing it out.

Me too testing too.

Attachments

• LHS - Zoey relaxing with feather 2.JPG
    LHS - Zoey relaxing with feather 2.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 2
MYOG - where did you get that picture of T-Al in action? :)

MYOG - where did you get that picture of T-Al in action?
That bird was delicious. Oh, you mean the trombone photo?

The reality isn't so different:

FISHFESTIVAL2002.JPG

Back
Top Bottom