Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Low cost of living town with low humidity? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/low-cost-of-living-town-with-low-humidity-38175.html)

FANOFJESUS 08-24-2008 05:17 PM

Low cost of living town with low humidity?

I am looking for a low cost of living town with low humidity and thought I would ask the pro's.

REWahoo 08-24-2008 05:33 PM

Artesia or Roswell, New Mexico.

dex 08-24-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rec7 (Post 702827)
I thought I would ask the pro's.

How did you come to the conclusion that the pros are here?

REWahoo 08-24-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dex (Post 702836)
How did you come to the conclusion that the pros are here?

Isn't it obvious?

cute fuzzy bunny 08-24-2008 06:09 PM

Wow, what a mistake.

Jake46 08-24-2008 06:12 PM

Fort Collins, CO.

REWahoo 08-24-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny (Post 702848)
Wow, what a mistake.

Artesia? Roswell? Both?

cute fuzzy bunny 08-24-2008 06:18 PM

Um, was that Artesia California or New Mexico?

REWahoo 08-24-2008 06:20 PM

NM (as in the state...)

Jake46 08-24-2008 06:21 PM

I took it as Artesia, NM or Roswell, NM.

REWahoo 08-24-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake46 (Post 702860)
I took it as Artesia, NM or Roswell, NM.

Correct.

cute fuzzy bunny 08-24-2008 06:24 PM

A state of NM?

Oh, I hear Las Cruces NM is cheap, a very nice place to live and has excellent weather.

Another temperate cheap place to live is Lake Chapala in Mexico. Very inexpensive compared to most US locales, excellent weather, many people speak english and there are a lot of retired US folks living there, plenty going on in the local area and not far from one of the largest cities in Mexico. Even a Costco and Walmart in the area.

W2R 08-24-2008 06:28 PM

How about Ozona, Texas? I wouldn't live there for anything but I'll bet the humidity and cost of living are both REALLY low.

Do you have any other criteria?

calmloki 08-24-2008 06:30 PM

Nice guy REWahoo - why don't you send him to T or C or Deming?

Here you go - don't listen to those guys - move right in:
https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/reo/810764543.html

Or, if you like actual houses, here's a spanish style abode i was checking out - be sure to view this lovely home with Google street view and turn so you see the view from the house windows - needs a little fixing...:
https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/reb/806510542.html

Just a bit breezy down there - i've seen towed mobile homes by the side of the road that blew over during transport. But it's dryish... and 106+ today.

REWahoo 08-24-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want2retire (Post 702869)
How about Ozona, Texas? I wouldn't live there for anything but I'll bet the humidity and cost of living are both REALLY low.

You wouldn't think it, but the humidity for Ozona isn't low, it is about average of all other US locations: https://www.city-data.com/city/Ozona-Texas.html

W2R 08-24-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 702874)
You wouldn't think it, but the humidity for Ozona isn't low, it is about average of all other US locations: https://www.city-data.com/city/Ozona-Texas.html

That's amazing. :o I never would have guessed. Median home value $58,900, though!! Not bad at all. Low property taxes for Texas, too.

That place seemed like the ends of the earth when I was driving alone from San Diego to College Station, in the heat of late springtime, 1984.

Imagine one of those cartoon characters crawling out of a desert to an oasis. Only, instead of a pool of water and a date tree, Ozona had a Dairy Queen. Not much else. It captured my imagination.

REWahoo 08-24-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want2retire (Post 702876)
That place seemed like the ends of the earth...

Who says it isn't? ;) FIL lives 30 miles up (down?) the road.

W2R 08-24-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 702878)
Who says it isn't? ;) FIL lives 30 miles up (down?) the road.

OMG, I pity the poor guy!! :o What an awful, awful place. Seriously, all the Texas jokes we have made are nothing compared with Ozona!!! And living 30 miles OUTSIDE the ends of the earth? That is more remote than living on Mars.

I would be half crazy if I lived out there.
Or, maybe if I was half crazy I would live out there. Take your pick. :2funny:

Leonidas 08-24-2008 06:54 PM

My hunting place is not terribly far from Ozona.

Low humidity? Nope, don't think so.

End of the earth? Nah, it just takes a little getting used to. You just have to love rocks and scrub mesquite. If there were Martians, Ozona would be their number one off-planet vacation spot.

W2R 08-24-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonidas (Post 702884)
My hunting place is not terribly far from Ozona.

Low humidity? Nope, don't think so.

End of the earth? Nah, it just takes a little getting used to.

I remember thinking that if I got a flat, they would probably find my bleached bones by the side of the road next to my car after the summer was over. It didn't seem like there was much traffic out there in the summer.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonidas (Post 702884)
You just have to love rocks and scrub mesquite. If there were Martians, Ozona would be their number one off-planet vacation spot.

Yeah, THAT's Ozona!! :D

UncleHoney 08-24-2008 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know this little town in the Western Sahara called Laayoune. When I was there in 1970 it hadn't rained in 18 years so I guess that might be what you're looking for.

The cost of living was cheap too. Buy some camels and goats, find a nice oasis and kick back. :D

Like I said, low humidity.

REWahoo 08-24-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want2retire (Post 702883)
OMG, I pity the poor guy!!

Don't feel sorry for him - he loves it. Since he might as well be the twin brother of Augustus 'Gus' McCrae (Robert Duvall's character in "Lonesome Dove"), the location fits him nicely.

W2R 08-24-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 702890)
Don't feel sorry for him - he loves it. Since he might as well be the twin brother of Augustus 'Gus' McCrae (Robert Duvall's character in "Lonesome Dove"), the location fits him nicely.

LOL!!! Well, OK. As long as he likes it. :duh:

Moemg 08-24-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rec7 (Post 702827)
I am looking for a low cost of living town with low humidity and thought I would ask the pro's.

Frackville ,Pa .

REWahoo 08-24-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moemg (Post 702929)
Frackville ,Pa .

Low cost of living, but humidity shows to be average: https://www.city-data.com/city/Frackv...nsylvania.html

Tykimeister 08-24-2008 08:29 PM

Montana is a pretty cheap place to live if you stay out of Missoula and Boseman. I'm from Great Falls and the humidity is very low there. I had nose bleeds on a daily basis.

FANOFJESUS 08-24-2008 08:32 PM

Ouch!

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $229,700 (it was $169,600 in 2000)
Fort Collins $229,700
Colorado: $223,300

Moemg 08-24-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 702932)
Low cost of living, but humidity shows to be average: https://www.city-data.com/city/Frackv...nsylvania.html

Rewahoo , Frackville ,Pa. is low cost of living yes but not a prime place to live unless you grew up there as I did ! I've been on cruise ships with more people than their entire population .:coolsmiley:

kumquat 08-24-2008 08:42 PM

Any small town in Sk. Canada. If you can live with <200 others and -45F in winter.

Rich_by_the_Bay 08-24-2008 08:42 PM

Watch what you are wishing for on the dryness thing. Your first year, you'll probably notice small rock-hard pebbles in your nose. Then your skin will crinkle and moult. Allergies, which you thought you left behind, will re-emerge in years 2 and 3; if you forget you have allergies, your nose will bleed to remind you. You might catch Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) if you're in southern Az or the central valley of California.

That said, I loved our 3 years in Tucson. DW, not so much.

FANOFJESUS 08-24-2008 08:44 PM

That looks good

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $70,400 (it was $60,100 in 2000)
Roswell $70,400
New Mexico: $125,500

Notmuchlonger 08-24-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa (Post 702948)
Watch what you are wishing for on the dryness thing. Your first year, you'll probably notice small rock-hard pebbles in your nose. Then your skin will crinkle and moult. Allergies, which you thought you left behind, will re-emerge in years 2 and 3; if you forget you have allergies, your nose will bleed to remind you. You might catch Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) if you're in southern Az or the central valley of California.

Good point. When I first moved out to CA from the Midwest. I had terrible allergies for 2 years or so. Finally got over them.

Finance Dave 08-24-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake46 (Post 702851)
Fort Collins, CO.

I've read many good things about Fort Collins. We'll be going there in November. Anything specific we should see/do?

To the OP, sorry but all the cities I know if with low costs are high humidity.

FANOFJESUS 08-24-2008 09:49 PM

It looks like the Roswell winter is nicer than a st louis winter. Anybody here ever been to Roswell what did you think about it?

haha 08-24-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tykimeister (Post 702938)
Montana is a pretty cheap place to live if you stay out of Missoula and Boseman. I'm from Great Falls and the humidity is very low there. I had nose bleeds on a daily basis.

I met a guy from Great Falls some years back while elk hunting in the Cascades. We were in our big tent with a wood stove going, all toasty. This guy was sleeping across the front seat in his car. We invited him in. He came in but said he had to get back out later as it seemed too warm for him. Then he told us stories of Great Falls and Northeastern Montana weather!

I guess it's dry, but is sure is cold too. Seems like the people from out there are very nice though. I remember being in a bar near the North Dakota border. A North Dakota Chain Saw was hanging on the wall. A bow saw with a link chain where the blade would be. Humerous guys too!

Ha

LOL! 08-25-2008 01:12 AM

I used to go to kindergarten in Roswell. What do I remember about it? Not much. Apparently, I didn't learn everything I needed to know in kindergarten.

You must have some other criteria besides low cost and low humidity though? How about access to an international airport for travelling? Access to medical facilities? Access to friends and family?

REWahoo 08-25-2008 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rec7 (Post 702975)
Anybody here ever been to Roswell what did you think about it?

It's an alien culture but they appear to be friendly...

wheel9 08-25-2008 07:14 AM

Roswell is a very small town. Not much goes on there, except for the Area 51 stuff. Las Cruces is a better place, University town. Close enough to get to El Paso, as well as Ciudad Juarez, MX.

Jake46 08-25-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finance Dave (Post 702962)
I've read many good things about Fort Collins. We'll be going there in November. Anything specific we should see/do?

Be sure to spend some time in Old Town (restaurants, galleries, brew pubs), take in the view of the city from Horsetooth Reservoir, drive to Estes Park and Cheyenne (each 45 minutes away) if you have time.

FinanceDude 08-25-2008 08:09 AM

How about Flagstaff, Arizona? Close to the Grand Canyon, 2 hours to Phoenix, you can visit Sedona and go home to the same size house for 1/3 the price, etc. What's not to like? :)

REWahoo 08-25-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinanceDude (Post 703060)
How about Flagstaff, Arizona? :)

The cost of living for Flagstaff shows to be 22% above the US average.

Hope you do better than this with your financial advice... ;)

Marquette 08-25-2008 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 703062)

Well, if you follow his financial advice then you'll have sooo much money that it feels like a low cost area;D

FinanceDude 08-25-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 703062)

When I was out there 3 years ago, there were a lot of affordable homes OUTSIDE of Flagstaff proper.

Shouldn't you be practicing carrier landings or soemthing??;)

FANOFJESUS 08-25-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Thanks you gave me something to think about. I guess if I moved I should rent for a while.

brewer12345 08-25-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake46 (Post 702851)
Fort Collins, CO.

Was just there last week. I thought it was a neat town and a definate possibility for a retirement destination if you want a college town.

REWahoo 08-25-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinanceDude (Post 703108)
When I was out there 3 years ago, there were a lot of affordable homes OUTSIDE of Flagstaff proper.

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect things might have changed a little in the past three years. The COL index shows the average price of a home in Flagstaff to be 59% higher than the US Average. But for all I know a doublewide out in the county somewhere could be a real bargain. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinanceDude (Post 703108)
Shouldn't you be practicing carrier landings or soemthing??

No one in their right mind tries to land an airplane on a moving postage stamp....

calmloki 08-25-2008 09:46 AM

Lot of dry gahdfersaken options offered here. In that vein, other than a cemetery, this might be the last place you'd want to be: Zzyzx Ca.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zzyzx,_California

Westernskies 08-25-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rec7 (Post 702975)
It looks like the Roswell winter is nicer than a st louis winter. Anybody here ever been to Roswell what did you think about it?

I was through there a couple of years ago. It seemed like a nice little town, the locals have learned to take the hype about Area 51 in stride; many are cashing in on the fascination. Lots of T-shirt shops, aliens on the lamposts, etc. The Crash Site Cafe was good. It is a long way from Roswell to anywhere else, though. Ruidoso looked a little better to me. Roswell is also very windy.

Tiger 08-25-2008 12:52 PM

Las Cruces, NM or El Paso, TX depending on what you consider low cost of living.

haha 08-25-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiger (Post 703273)
Las Cruces, NM or El Paso, TX depending on what you consider low cost of living.

I have alwys liked El Paso. The Mission trail going south and east out of El Paso is really interesting.

https://www.co.el-paso.tx.us/History/missiontrail.htm

But I am not sure I would deliberately move onto the border now. I saw a TV program a few days ago about Laredo/Nuevo Laredo. Nasty situation. US teens being recruited into Mexican drug gangs, becoming way more violent, etc. That border has never meant much, and Mexican drug gangs have become extremely rich and powerful.

Overall, I think the US population other than those who live along the border are not up to speed about the current conditions down there.

Ha

REWahoo 08-25-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haha (Post 703284)
Overall, I think the US population other than those who live along the border are not up to speed about the current conditions down there.

Ha, you appear very lucid today. Those new meds must be working for ya. ;)

Westernskies 08-25-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haha (Post 703284)
I have alwys liked El Paso. The Mission trail going south and east out of El Paso is really interesting.

https://www.co.el-paso.tx.us/History/missiontrail.htm

But I am not sure I would deliberately move onto the border now. I saw a TV program a few days ago about Laredo/Nuevo Laredo. Nasty situation. US teens being recruited into Mexican drug gangs, becoming way more violent, etc. That border has never meant much, and Mexican drug gangs have become extremely rich and powerful.

Ha

Thre are several nice towns in Southern AZ with low humidity/low costs of living. Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Green Valley, Casa Grande, etc. but there are a lot of illegal immigrants passing through. Thankfully, most of them are doing that, just passing through; there are better opportunities for employment and bigger places to get lost in further north than in small towns close to the border.

I second Ha's comments about ElPaso. Nice place to visit , but I wouldn't want to live there. Now, up the road a few miles in in Las Cruces might be another story...

2good 08-25-2008 02:24 PM

rec7,
Why is low humidity your main criteria? For yourself or do you want to store equipment?

tuixiu 08-25-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming (Post 703290)
Thre are several nice towns in Southern AZ with low humidity/low costs of living. Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Green Valley, Casa Grande, etc.

I was thinking the same thing. Throw in some of the mountain communities East of Phoenix like Globe/Miami. Lovely country.

Westernskies 08-25-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiuxiu (Post 703336)
I was thinking the same thing. Throw in some of the mountain communities East of Phoenix like Globe/Miami. Lovely country.

I gotta tell you, Globe would be a real stretch for me...

FANOFJESUS 08-25-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2good (Post 703324)
rec7,
Why is low humidity your main criteria? For yourself or do you want to store equipment?

I have always lived in MO and have always disliked the humidity. I thought it would be good to live in a place with low humidity.

REWahoo 08-25-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rec7 (Post 703366)
I have always lived in MO and have always disliked the humidity. I thought it would be good to live in a place with low humidity.

Your "rent for a while" idea is the way to go. Try before you buy.

FANOFJESUS 08-25-2008 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 703036)
It's an alien culture but they appear to be friendly...

Apparently after the air force captured them they got free somehow and took refuge in walmart. LOL

cute fuzzy bunny 08-25-2008 04:11 PM

Lots of aliens working at walmart in the southwest.

Westernskies 08-25-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny (Post 703382)
Lots of aliens working at walmart in the southwest.

illegal, extraterrestrial, or both?

cute fuzzy bunny 08-25-2008 04:50 PM

I think the extraterrestrial ones work in other parts of the country where they're less likely to be recognized.

Callie 08-25-2008 06:07 PM

Colorado springs is pretty cheap but super conservative.

Ronstar 08-25-2008 06:26 PM

I would go with Wickenburg or Prescott, Az

Westernskies 08-25-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callie (Post 703452)

:):):)

wheel9 08-25-2008 06:48 PM

I lived in El Paso for about 7 years, but that was 17 years ago. It was changing then, and it has changed for the worse. Crimes against property were always an issue, but little violence againce people. That is what has changed. Also, the rest of the country does not really understand what it is like to live in a border town. Listing to national debates on controlling our border is a laugh for anyone who has lived there.

Las Cruces is the better choice, and within easy reach of El Paso on your terms.

FANOFJESUS 08-25-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

A little expensive but I am conservative. Those summers look great.

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $190,300 (it was $147,100 in 2000)
Colorado Springs $190,300

Finance Dave 08-25-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake46 (Post 703056)
Be sure to spend some time in Old Town (restaurants, galleries, brew pubs), take in the view of the city from Horsetooth Reservoir, drive to Estes Park and Cheyenne (each 45 minutes away) if you have time.

thanks Jake...we'll definitely check some of those things out!

Dave

brewer12345 08-27-2008 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rec7 (Post 703476)

If you are poking around in that general area, go take a look at Alamosa, CO. Very cheap, pretty pleasant place, low humidity.

If you are conservative and have money to spend, you would probably like Golden, CO.

FinanceDude 08-27-2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

My kind of town..........:)

roger r 08-27-2008 10:52 AM

You might check out Pueblo, Colorado. Cost of living is much less than Colorado Springs or Ft. Collins. It's a bit of a blue collar town that's making a come back, so not yet your trendy place. It has a good sense of community and retains some mid-sized town charm. Nice dry climate and close to the mountains and recreation. Relative to other Colorado places, the winters are prety mild. And not quite the oppresive heat of Arizona. I was raised there and think about moving back sometimes.

MasterBlaster 08-27-2008 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The attached photo shows the location of a very low humidity and low cost area.

mews 08-27-2008 11:27 AM

and the yard is quite sizeable - such a deal! :D

ta,
mews

dex 08-27-2008 12:58 PM

Don't the poles (norht & south) have low humidity.
I would think either would have a low cost of living also - except for heating and pizza delivery.

Zoocat 08-27-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

After moving back to CO from the Midwest 4 yrs ago, I haven't experienced any crinkling or moulting, neither have any allergies appeared (and I did have minor spring allergies in the midwest). The only annoying environmental effect I've noticed is that my elbows are very dry!

Zoocat 08-27-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rec7 (Post 703476)

Colo Springs is very pretty but they still have a Meth problem. A lot of meth labs for a town that size. Also, if you walk around downtown you will usually see some users. Not a pretty sight.

Westernskies 08-27-2008 05:51 PM

I've got a really nice .5 acre mountain view building lot in a gated community in Pagosa Springs, CO I'll sell you. Low humidity and high altitude.

dex 08-27-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming (Post 704430)
I've got a really nice .5 acre mountain view building lot in a gated community in Pagosa Springs, CO I'll sell you. Low humidity and high altitude.

I'm in Salida, CO. right now. Can I stop by for a drink?

Westernskies 08-27-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dex (Post 704475)
I'm in Salida, CO. right now. Can I stop by for a drink?

Sure, it's a vacant lot, and I'm in Alabama on business right now!:D

audreyh1 08-27-2008 10:39 PM

We've been near Loveland CO, and now near Longmont CO for the last few days. Pretty darn low humidity around here! We've been enjoying the weather and the views.

Not sure about the cost of living, however. Restaurant prices seem a little higher here than they did in OR and WA, or TX for that matter.

Audrey

BunsGettingFirm 08-28-2008 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finance Dave (Post 702962)

Yes, go to Old Town. You can't miss it. It's right across the street from CSU. Take your bikes or rent a couple and ride the extensive bike trails which also connect to the Horsetooth MTB trails. Climb Horsetooth rock. The view from up top will tell you why John Denver wrote Rocky Mountain High. You'll appreciate the view more because you got there on your own power. It's way better than driving up to the top of Trailridge road with all the tourist buses.

Dawg52 08-28-2008 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewer12345 (Post 704096)
If you are poking around in that general area, go take a look at Alamosa, CO. Very cheap, pretty pleasant place, low humidity.

Here you go Brewer. A little fixer upper. Raise a few chickens, plant a few crops, and your good to go. Actually for $450k and 289 acres, not a bad price even if you just level the house and start over.:-\
8591 River Rd Alamosa, CO - Existing Homes Listing

Not sure the place comes with an Eb.
Green Acres : Tom Lester : tvland.com

BTW, you looking at moving out west?

brewer12345 08-28-2008 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg52 (Post 704575)
Here you go Brewer. A little fixer upper. Raise a few chickens, plant a few crops, and your good to go. Actually for $450k and 289 acres, not a bad price even if you just level the house and start over.:-\
8591 River Rd Alamosa, CO - Existing Homes Listing

Not sure the place comes with an Eb.
Green Acres : Tom Lester : tvland.com

BTW, you looking at moving out west?

"Property includes 8 shares of the Hickory Jackson Ditch and 5 domestic/stock wells adjudicated under Case 93CW26"

I'd say this is easily the most important part of the listing, given the way things are with water in that area.

Not actively looking; just spent 2 weeks in the area and came home with my very own Ugly Regional Hat. Since I am not attached to a particular employer, I would certainly listen ifthe right opportunity turned up there, but it would have to be pretty special to move 1800 miles, sell the house, uproot the kids, etc.

Finance Dave 08-28-2008 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm (Post 704558)
Yes, go to Old Town. You can't miss it. It's right across the street from CSU. Take your bikes or rent a couple and ride the extensive bike trails which also connect to the Horsetooth MTB trails. Climb Horsetooth rock. The view from up top will tell you why John Denver wrote Rocky Mountain High. You'll appreciate the view more because you got there on your own power. It's way better than driving up to the top of Trailridge road with all the tourist buses.

thanks. Will definitely do the bikes. Not sure about climbing...my knees are not very good.

Tiger 08-28-2008 11:29 AM

We will be moving to the suburbs of Albuquerque, the humidity is very low and the cost of living is quite reasonable. You can buy a nice house for under $200K.

roger r 08-28-2008 02:08 PM

If you're in Ft. Collins, a couple of the finest microbrewies (not Bud) in the country are a little east of town. It's worth a tour and sampling if you're into microbrews or just want to see some state of the art breweries. Old Towne is nice, though a little too trendy for me, but the bike trail along the Poudre is a bit of fresh air.

FANOFJESUS 08-28-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger r (Post 704217)
You might check out Pueblo, Colorado. Cost of living is much less than Colorado Springs or Ft. Collins. It's a bit of a blue collar town that's making a come back, so not yet your trendy place. It has a good sense of community and retains some mid-sized town charm. Nice dry climate and close to the mountains and recreation. Relative to other Colorado places, the winters are prety mild. And not quite the oppresive heat of Arizona. I was raised there and think about moving back sometimes.

I knew you guys were pros. You have givin me alot of good ideas.

That's looking good.

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $108,800 (it was $87,100 in 2000)
Pueblo $108,800

BunsGettingFirm 08-28-2008 04:09 PM

The bike trails in Fort Collins are some of the best in the country because they actually link to on-street trails and places you would want to go. I used to ride from work south of town to the library, the tailor, cafes, and bars in the Old Town area sometimes right in the middle of the workday. No, I didn't go for a beer though I probably could have. Ah, what a nice lifestyle that was. Too bad the high tech job market is so thin.

haha 08-28-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm (Post 704806)
I used to ride from work south of town to the library, the tailor...

THe world's first GQ engineer. Way to go! :)

Ha

yakers 08-28-2008 11:10 PM

I am a bit late to this but fitting the categories of low cost & low humidity, has anyone suggested Barstow, CA? Even cheaper, try Baker , CA and whole swatches of Nevada outside of major cities.

haha 08-29-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakers (Post 704961)
I am a bit late to this but fitting the categories of low cost & low humidity, has anyone suggested Barstow, CA? Even cheaper, try Baker , CA and whole swatches of Nevada outside of major cities.

And if you don't like Baker or Barstow, there's always Needles!

Ha

cute fuzzy bunny 08-29-2008 12:15 PM

I havent been to barstow in about 13-14 years. Unless its drastically improved, I wouldnt recommend landing a prison there due to complications around cruel and unusual punishment. Let alone live there. :p

barker 08-29-2008 06:53 PM

Southern AZ

We moved from Connecticut to a suburb of Tucson Arizona. It's pretty nice here, air quality is good and the humidity is very low. The summers are warm, but not unbearable for us at least. The fall/winter/spring is delightful.

clifp 08-29-2008 08:02 PM

5 pages and nobody brought up NYC. What were the criteria again ? :)

harley 08-29-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haha (Post 705135)
And if you don't like Baker or Barstow, there's always Needles!

Ha

And don't forget Winona! ;)

audreyh1 08-29-2008 08:19 PM

I sure enjoy visiting Colorado, but that 4.63% tax rate on all Federal taxable income pretty much keeps me from moving here.

Audrey

cute fuzzy bunny 08-29-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harley (Post 705399)
And don't forget Winona!

Eh, she's a little weird for me.

brewer12345 08-29-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 705401)
I sure enjoy visiting Colorado, but that 4.63% tax rate on all Federal taxable income pretty much keeps me from moving here.

Audrey

Sounds like paradise to some of us.

audreyh1 08-30-2008 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewer12345 (Post 705415)
Sounds like paradise to some of us.

Yeah - I can imagine!

Audrey

rs0460a 08-30-2008 09:15 AM

America Weather Map - Current Humidity of America - Find Local Weather

Take your choice...

- Ron

Jake46 08-30-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audreyh1 (Post 705401)

Audrey

Audrey, I think you need to look at the entire tax burden, not just income tax. Texas has no income tax but other taxes (property, sales) are significant.