Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Low cost of living town with low humidity? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/low-cost-of-living-town-with-low-humidity-38175.html)

UncleHoney 08-24-2008 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know this little town in the Western Sahara called Laayoune. When I was there in 1970 it hadn't rained in 18 years so I guess that might be what you're looking for.

The cost of living was cheap too. Buy some camels and goats, find a nice oasis and kick back. :D

Like I said, low humidity.

REWahoo 08-24-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want2retire (Post 702883)
OMG, I pity the poor guy!!

Don't feel sorry for him - he loves it. Since he might as well be the twin brother of Augustus 'Gus' McCrae (Robert Duvall's character in "Lonesome Dove"), the location fits him nicely.

W2R 08-24-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 702890)
Don't feel sorry for him - he loves it. Since he might as well be the twin brother of Augustus 'Gus' McCrae (Robert Duvall's character in "Lonesome Dove"), the location fits him nicely.

LOL!!! Well, OK. As long as he likes it. :duh:

Moemg 08-24-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rec7 (Post 702827)
I am looking for a low cost of living town with low humidity and thought I would ask the pro's.


Frackville ,Pa .

REWahoo 08-24-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moemg (Post 702929)
Frackville ,Pa .

Low cost of living, but humidity shows to be average: https://www.city-data.com/city/Frackv...nsylvania.html

Tykimeister 08-24-2008 08:29 PM

Montana is a pretty cheap place to live if you stay out of Missoula and Boseman. I'm from Great Falls and the humidity is very low there. I had nose bleeds on a daily basis.

FANOFJESUS 08-24-2008 08:32 PM

Ouch!

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $229,700 (it was $169,600 in 2000)
Fort Collins $229,700
Colorado: $223,300

Moemg 08-24-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 702932)
Low cost of living, but humidity shows to be average: https://www.city-data.com/city/Frackv...nsylvania.html


Rewahoo , Frackville ,Pa. is low cost of living yes but not a prime place to live unless you grew up there as I did ! I've been on cruise ships with more people than their entire population .:coolsmiley:

kumquat 08-24-2008 08:42 PM

Any small town in Sk. Canada. If you can live with <200 others and -45F in winter.

Rich_by_the_Bay 08-24-2008 08:42 PM

Watch what you are wishing for on the dryness thing. Your first year, you'll probably notice small rock-hard pebbles in your nose. Then your skin will crinkle and moult. Allergies, which you thought you left behind, will re-emerge in years 2 and 3; if you forget you have allergies, your nose will bleed to remind you. You might catch Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) if you're in southern Az or the central valley of California.

That said, I loved our 3 years in Tucson. DW, not so much.

FANOFJESUS 08-24-2008 08:44 PM

That looks good

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $70,400 (it was $60,100 in 2000)
Roswell $70,400
New Mexico: $125,500

Notmuchlonger 08-24-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa (Post 702948)
Watch what you are wishing for on the dryness thing. Your first year, you'll probably notice small rock-hard pebbles in your nose. Then your skin will crinkle and moult. Allergies, which you thought you left behind, will re-emerge in years 2 and 3; if you forget you have allergies, your nose will bleed to remind you. You might catch Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) if you're in southern Az or the central valley of California.

That said, I loved our 3 years in Tucson. DW, not so much.

Good point. When I first moved out to CA from the Midwest. I had terrible allergies for 2 years or so. Finally got over them.

Finance Dave 08-24-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake46 (Post 702851)
Fort Collins, CO.

I've read many good things about Fort Collins. We'll be going there in November. Anything specific we should see/do?

To the OP, sorry but all the cities I know if with low costs are high humidity.

FANOFJESUS 08-24-2008 09:49 PM

It looks like the Roswell winter is nicer than a st louis winter. Anybody here ever been to Roswell what did you think about it?

haha 08-24-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tykimeister (Post 702938)
Montana is a pretty cheap place to live if you stay out of Missoula and Boseman. I'm from Great Falls and the humidity is very low there. I had nose bleeds on a daily basis.

I met a guy from Great Falls some years back while elk hunting in the Cascades. We were in our big tent with a wood stove going, all toasty. This guy was sleeping across the front seat in his car. We invited him in. He came in but said he had to get back out later as it seemed too warm for him. Then he told us stories of Great Falls and Northeastern Montana weather!

I guess it's dry, but is sure is cold too. Seems like the people from out there are very nice though. I remember being in a bar near the North Dakota border. A North Dakota Chain Saw was hanging on the wall. A bow saw with a link chain where the blade would be. Humerous guys too!

Ha

LOL! 08-25-2008 01:12 AM

I used to go to kindergarten in Roswell. What do I remember about it? Not much. Apparently, I didn't learn everything I needed to know in kindergarten.

You must have some other criteria besides low cost and low humidity though? How about access to an international airport for travelling? Access to medical facilities? Access to friends and family?

REWahoo 08-25-2008 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rec7 (Post 702975)
Anybody here ever been to Roswell what did you think about it?

It's an alien culture but they appear to be friendly...

wheel9 08-25-2008 07:14 AM

Roswell is a very small town. Not much goes on there, except for the Area 51 stuff. Las Cruces is a better place, University town. Close enough to get to El Paso, as well as Ciudad Juarez, MX.

Jake46 08-25-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finance Dave (Post 702962)
I've read many good things about Fort Collins. We'll be going there in November. Anything specific we should see/do?

To the OP, sorry but all the cities I know if with low costs are high humidity.


Be sure to spend some time in Old Town (restaurants, galleries, brew pubs), take in the view of the city from Horsetooth Reservoir, drive to Estes Park and Cheyenne (each 45 minutes away) if you have time.

FinanceDude 08-25-2008 08:09 AM

How about Flagstaff, Arizona? Close to the Grand Canyon, 2 hours to Phoenix, you can visit Sedona and go home to the same size house for 1/3 the price, etc. What's not to like? :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.