A career in retrospect

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
April 14, 1985 to August 30, 2008

Seven institutions, three riots, two attempts on my life, three assaults, an unknown but high number of fights and assaults I was involved in, responded to 17 homicides, 14 years a Union Steward, two years a Union President, 16 years a Correctional Officer, seven years a Lieutenant, unsuccessfully sued four times, founding member of the SORT team at my first institution, and two years as a Disturbance Control Team leader.

It was a full career.

i place about as much importance on my past career as i do for the things to do before i die.

Seven institutions, three riots, two attempts on my life, three assaults, an unknown but high number of fights and assaults I was involved in, responded to 17 homicides, 14 years a Union Steward, two years a Union President, 16 years a Correctional Officer, seven years a Lieutenant, unsuccessfully sued four times, founding member of the SORT team at my first institution, and two years as a Disturbance Control Team leader.

It was a full career.
Congrats! Sounds like a nightmare to me. Glad you survived!

Audrey

It was a full career.

Sounds like you had the same experiences as a high school teacher in a troubled neighborhood.............:eek::eek:

Good going Leatherneck. This is one of the early retirements that are easy to understand.

Not a moment too soon. :)

Ha

It was a full career.

It sure was! Good to have you retiring on the same day as me. I haven't done any of the things on your list; the closest I got was knowing where the office bullet-proof vest--thought about using it once but they said the guy had a Uzi and I figured I'd take my chances on diving out the back door.

Thanks, and keep up posted.

What a career! In reviewing your resume, it appears you may be qualified for a moderator position here at FIRE....

There is a pretty high bar for that job...

img_704849_0_e165e8416db2dabae4b57071ebfe2f67.jpg

two attempts on my life, three assaults
I'm not sure that I understand the difference. Were the first two not intended by their executors (so to speak) to succeed, or were the latter three not considered assaults too? And, once they've started, is there a semantic distinction? I certainly wouldn't feel very charitable about any of them...

It was a full career.
I understand that part!!

Tell it to the judge.
I don't think "Yer honor, she needed pinchin' " is gonna go over very well...

Attachments

• Judge Judy.jpg
    Judge Judy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 157
Darn it, and I gave Ha credit for that picture--seems like one of his, I don't know why. :angel:
But it is Dawg, you dawg, with the spanking picture. Credit where credit is due. But Martha is going to be mad at you... >:D

It was a full career.

I can only put a few fires and explosions in my resume. But wait, we never had explosions. That sounds so bad on the evening news and they were technically deflagrations.

I periodically had to deal with union stewards and other union officers. Some had brains and some were zealots for their union and cost their members lots of money over time. Overall, they were better than the environmental permit "engineers" of various states. I used quotes because they were seldom engineers. States usually don't pay enough to attract a real engineer. It's really bad when you have to explain what a mass balance is to one.

Never sued directly but deposed several times. Everything always settled before trial so I didn't care.

Mostly, it's all far behind me now. I am on cruise control. I am currently paid by the hour and my retirement begins at the earliest event -- terminated for cause, let go for lack of w*rk or my FIL expires. I'm betting on my FIL.

Congratulations Leatherneck....quite a career and retirement fully earned!

the closest I got was knowing where the office bullet-proof vest--
What kind of office has an "office bulletproof vest"; other than the US Post Office? Smart choice on your part. Those things are only good for what they cover. That's why they train us to "double-tap"; one to the chest, one to the head.

I'm not sure that I understand the difference. Were the first two not intended by their executors (so to speak) to succeed,

Nords, it's like this. The first attempt to kill me was by dropping a fire extinguisher on my head from the third floor. He missed and hit the stair rail next to me. I still could have been injured if I hadn't somehow gotten my hands up to deflect it on the bounce.

The second attempt was a guy coming at me with a knife taped into his closed fist. That resulted in the first law suit, for excessive force. In protecting myself and attempting to disarm him I broke his wrist, his arm, and several of his ribs before I got control of him and the weapon. The judge's closing statement was that I had not inflicted sufficient injury to warrant the charges.

The first assault was when a Mariel Cuban inundated me with a container full of urine, feces, and assorted other bodily fluids.

The second assault was when a con turned on me during a pat search and attempted to beat me down after I discovered his drugs and hype kit in his sock. This resulted in the second lawsuit because in my defense I used tactics taught to me by the USMC rather than the sissy tactics taught by the BOP. Same judge ruled that in a defensive situation a person could reasonably be expected to use tactics he was most familiar (trained nearly daily for three years) with rather than tactics that were refreshed for four hours once a year.

The third assault was another Mariel Cuban I caught attempting to go back through the chow line for seconds. When I told him to leave he spit in my face. While I tried to dodge that he began striking my in the face with his closed fists. I did not get sued over my response to that.

I'm nominating this as quote of the day. Made me laugh so hard I woke the Princess up.
This resulted in the second lawsuit because in my defense I used tactics taught to me by the USMC rather than the sissy tactics taught by the BOP.
And I am curious as well about the office bullet proof vest. Singular? How does one get to be the lucky guy or gal who gets to wear the vest while the rest go unprotected? Or was the vest wearer the designated target that ran around drawing fire while the rest of the office bailed out the back door?

And congratulations on your retirement.

Back
Top Bottom