I flunked retirement

emshays

Confused about dryer sheets
I thought I'd stop working and went out and did some pro-bono stuff for three years, but I like doing things to help other people and so I've gone back to work. The additional money isn't bad. It enables us to do things for our family, contribute more to places like Africa or disasters like Katrina.

Has anyone else failed retirement?

emshays, I removed your duplicate post.

I think you can't fail. If you are doing what you want to do all is good.

Thanks for your contributions to good causes.

What's this about failure? I echo Martha's comments, FIRE is all about doing what you want to do, and if that includes getting paid for doing some work that you want to do, then no problems.

What's this about failure? I echo Martha's comments, FIRE is all about doing what you want to do, and if that includes getting paid for doing some work that you want to do, then no problems.
I agree - with one small stipulation. If you retire then go back to work full time, you probably need to omit the RE from FIRE.

That RE part sometimes takes a little practice. I have a friend who is so good at it that he's done it three times now! This time he's trying a new strategy - waiting until after the market tanks to pull the plug. Maybe the third time will be the charm. ;)

Thanks everybody. I'm afraid my "failure" was tongue in cheek. It's not a problem for me. What I was thinking about was am I the only one who retired and decided sitting around wasn't any fun? And if not, what are the rest like me doing with their time? There is semi-retirement, hobbies that make money, working as a consultant or coach, etc.

Thanks everybody. I'm afraid my "failure" was tongue in cheek. It's not a problem for me. What I was thinking about was am I the only one who retired and decided sitting around wasn't any fun? And if not, what are the rest like me doing with their time? There is semi-retirement, hobbies that make money, working as a consultant or coach, etc.

There are plenty of ESR's on the board. DW is ESR. While I'm stil w*rking she goes in twice a week as a contract analyst programmer to the place she left 4 years ago because she really likes the folks she used to work with and as a "paid by the hour" contractor has none of the overheads or stresses of an employee. Once I RE we'll be leaving the area and she will RE.

There ws a very energetic man named NewGuy88 who retired from teaching, then resumed coaching, and I think the last we heard he is teaching again too. He has plenty money, though a little more never hurts, right?

And he likes the coach/teacher lifestyle.

Ha

If it's not too personal, tell me why you flunked and why it's sticking this second time.

If it's not too personal, tell me why you flunked and why it's sticking this second time.

No problem ! My goal was always to retire in my 50's so as I neared the end of my 50's I decided to retire . I was financiallly ready but not really mentally ready so when they offered me a very flexible part time position at a great rate I took it . A few months into it I knew I was ready to call it quits at least in nursing but I stayed a few more months due to loss of staff . I finally called it quits nine months after I returned and this time I was mentally ready . I did start selling on ebay & amazon and this has amused me & kept me busy . As crazy as this sounds I enjoy the setting up the auctions , the taking of the pictures and the writing the listings . I do make some money doing this but most of it I give away . We all have to find our own niches in life and if yours is work so be it .

There ws a very energetic man named NewGuy88 who retired from teaching, then resumed coaching, and I think the last we heard he is teaching again too. He has plenty money, though a little more never hurts, right?

And he likes the coach/teacher lifestyle.

Ha

Is he the guy who was always posting depressing, end-of-the-world articles? Hm...how do his charges win championships?

can anyone here please direct the fire flunkees to the online support group for f.i.n.e. (financially independent needlessly employed)?

can anyone here please direct the fire flunkees to the online support group for f.i.n.e. (financially independent needlessly employed)?

I suppose I should start that one. Now working again 40/hours/week, almost doubles our income. I wanna motorcycle, a travel trailer and an airplane.

Since I'm done acting like a responsible adult, now I can regress.

hey, yer blogging to the choir. i'm considering a new career as a teacher or a zoo keeper (you can probably see the similarities).

I'm trying to retire, but I'm a coward. :(

I was for a while too. Now that I've been retired for 5 years I see, in retrospect, that I overestimated both the size of the portfolio I needed and the amount I would spend in retirement. Better than underestimating, but if I knew then what I know now, I woulda/coulda/shoulda retired a few years earlier.

What would you have done if you retired earlier? Same as what you are doing now? Or would the extra free years have led you into something doing something else? Other career? More travel? etc/

Hmmmmm - sooooo this means in five years I wrap up 20 years as an ER, give myself a gold watch and retirement party(?retired from early retirement?) and go back to work.

;) Nah! Just a weird thought.

heh heh heh - Pssst - think I'm getting hooked on bacon. Let's hope i don't become an evil bacon dealer to support my habit. :rolleyes:.

Yeah, I flunked out too, emshays. I had a really good job that I liked a lot, but the commute was a bit much, and I just decided that after working full time or almost full time for 35 years, it was enough! So I goofed around for a few months, then worked part time at my church for a bit (the pay was low, it was practically a volunteer job). But then my old, great boss called me back and said to name my conditions to come back. So I'm working 3 days a week, and one of those is at home in my jammies. I have the best of both worlds - I get to have lunch with my work friends once or twice a week, I have fun, interesting work and a pretty decent paycheck with bennies, but I have a 4-day weekend every week. It's a pretty good deal, and I'm really enjoying it. Everyone is different. If you are happy in whatever you are doing, then you are where you should be!

CJ

What would you have done if you retired earlier? Same as what you are doing now? Or would the extra free years have led you into something doing something else? Other career? More travel? etc/

In all probability, I probably would have just started what I'm doing now a little sooner. What I'm doing now is volunteer work, a reasonable amount of travel, spending a lot of time in the outdoors.

The only other second thought I've had, based on the financial experience I've had since retiring, is that I might have tried harder to find a post-Navy "career" that I would have enjoyed for its inherent satisfaction and worried less about the salary.

I have seen many successful business people in their 70's and 80's who have no intention of retiring. And it's not because they can't afford it. It's because they truly enjoy their work. They may not be functioning in the same role as they did in their younger days. And they may not be putting full-time hours. But they continue working because it is something they are passionate about.

I have also seen people who hate their work and who see retirement as a place where they will finally be freed up to do things they are passionate about.

Back
Top Bottom