Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Forum Admin (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/)
-   -   what % of members have turned off the Soap Box entirely? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/what-of-members-have-turned-off-the-soap-box-entirely-38479.html)

ladelfina 09-06-2008 03:59 AM

what % of members have turned off the Soap Box entirely?

Just out of curiosity.. since there was a 'forum-wide' election poll there.

Is that a statistic that the moderators have access to, and can reveal?

travelover 09-06-2008 07:00 AM

I turned it off immediately and my blood pressure shows it. ^-^

ladypatriot 09-06-2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladelfina (Post 709268)
Just out of curiosity.. since there was a 'forum-wide' election poll there.

Is that a statistic that the moderators have access to, and can reveal?

I visited the Soapbox when I first joined, when I was confused about dryer sheets. It is not for the gentle and meek; although they may inherit the earth, they won't survive a single thread in the Soapbox. I consider myself rather sturdy and stalwart, but "there be dragons." I peek in occasionally, and slam the door shut real quick.

Kudos to those who can spend enjoyable time there. For those brave folks, Macbeth said it best:

"I have almost forgot the taste of fears;
The time has been, my senses would have cool'd
To hear a night-shriek; and my fell of hair
Would at a dismal treatise rouse and stir
As life were in't: I have supp'd full with horrors;
Direness, familiar to my slaughterous thoughts
Cannot once start me."

MGYog 09-06-2008 08:16 AM

Ah yes, the "mosh pit"! It's relishing to bathe in it once in a while. After all, this is life in all it's naked glory, and serves to sharpen your wits, as well as reinforce your biases - or knock them down. It is not for the faint of heart.

Goonie 09-06-2008 08:36 AM

I've visited The Litter Box 'The Soap Box' two or at most three times. I haven't used the 'official' "Ignore Forum" feature (yet), I just ignore it and I don't venture there. I get enough political BS to fulfill my 'Daily Recommended Allowances' at the local coffee shop and via the nightly network news, and I ignore most of that as well. ;)

harley 09-06-2008 08:45 AM

I put it on ignore a couple of weeks ago to avoid all the political flaming. I might go back after the elections, but I've been enjoying the forums so much more without it, so I may not.

Martha 09-06-2008 10:01 AM

No, we don't know how many ignore the soapbox.

I wish I could, as it tends to pull me in. I have backed out of talking politics for the time being. I avoided it the last election and that was probably the correct decision.

HFWR 09-06-2008 10:12 AM

The Soapbox has lived up to our expectations:

- Kept most of the political discussion in one place;
- Resulted in lots of name-calling, and the resulting bad feelings;
- And detracted from the subject of this forum.

I will continue to ignore it...

retire@40 09-06-2008 10:20 AM

The political spam is the main reason I originally requested and pushed Andy so hard for an ignore feature on this forum.

It's the best feature on this forum by far.

And yes, I have the Soap Box on ignore.

CuppaJoe 09-06-2008 10:51 AM

Ignore the soapbox? Why I might as well give up oxygen! :) How could I not chime in on "bash parents for not preventing legal teen's pregnancy?"

ladelfina 09-06-2008 11:06 AM

ok Martha, thanks.. I just thought it might be nice to know how many users out of how many were tuning in or at least seeing the topics, again mostly to ascertain whether a poll there has the chance of getting a decent sampling.

chinaco 09-06-2008 11:08 AM

What... and miss the daily scuffles. No way! ;)

ScooterGuy 09-06-2008 11:32 AM

Electile dysfunction

I am suffering from the inability to become aroused or escited by any of the candidates or national 'fluff,' probably until 3 days after the election. The TV is off ... I'm not reading the newspaper or weekly news magazines ... I'm self-censoring the amount of information I take in.

It probably makes me a dull person ... but I'm a contented, live, un-stressed one. My concern is my DW and my home -- all else is fluff.

Gotadimple 09-06-2008 12:36 PM

I put it on Ignore about a week after it was created. It cuts down the posts in the New list to those I'm really interested in.

-- Rita

Notmuchlonger 09-06-2008 12:46 PM

Too much mean and nasty for lil old me in that area. I skittled away. :)

samclem 09-06-2008 12:50 PM

This thread is gonna turn nasty, too, I can feel it! Can this "What % of members have turned off the Soapbox" thread please be moved to the Soapbox?

REWahoo 09-06-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samclem (Post 709528)
This thread is gonna turn nasty, too, I can feel it! Can this "What % of members have turned off the Soapbox" thread please be moved to the Soapbox?

Sam, I love your logic...:D

Notmuchlonger 09-06-2008 12:58 PM

Why else would anyone start it here. Just to spread the infestation....

Bestwifeever 09-06-2008 01:23 PM

Thanks for starting the Soap Box forum--I shudder to think that the threads there would be all over this board otherwise.

ladelfina 09-06-2008 04:32 PM

sam, REW, notmuchlonger.. you are being the problematic, argumentative ones here. You can see my practical reason for asking; I stated it twice.

It's not my fault that people used the opportunity to sound off one way or the other.