Crossing the English Channel by personal jet

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Well, it's about freakin' time:
Fusion Man makes historic Channel flight | Lifestyle | Reuters

The jet man has taken his personal wing across the English Channel. Of course it required an aircraft-assisted launch, and flame-retardant pants, and it's not quite the same as boosting out of your back yard for the morning work commute. But it's close enough that I'm willing to accept its fulfillment of the 1950s promise of the personal jetpack.

Now all I need is my jet car, but I think they're getting pretty close there too...

Faster than the Gossamer Albatross but not as fuel efficient.

Attachments

• jet powered VW Beetle 1.jpg
    jet powered VW Beetle 1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 82
  • jet powered VW Beetle 2.jpg
    jet powered VW Beetle 2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 82
Where've you been? The Pinto wasn't jet powered, but it was flying back in 1973 - Mitzar

ave-mizar.jpg

OK, I guess I asked for that, but what I meant was a flying jet car...

Ooooh! Yeah, I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for that.....besides, a car with wings might be a bit more difficult to maneuver through traffic or to cruise through the drive up lane at the Golden Arches.....bummer. :p

:D

Where've you been? The Pinto wasn't jet powered, but it was flying back in 1973 - Mitzar

ave-mizar.jpg

Isn't that the infamous "exploding gas tank" car? What would Nader say? I wonder which is more dangerous?

Wiki tells me the inventor/engineer/company founder died in a "fiery crash". NTSB said bad welds.
(others say he was actually shot down by the CIA in a government conspiracy :D)

Nords - How about a jet surfboard?:D
Eh, made me look. It seems to be in the same development limbo as the flying Pinto:
Jet-powered surfboard to go on sale

I think if I motored out to the lineup on one of these I'd be beaten to death by the other surfers, and not a judge in the land would overturn the "justifiable homicide" defense...

Besides if it was even marginally operable then we'd be seeing Laird Hamilton YouTube videos all over 80-foot waves.

Well, it's about freakin' time:
Fusion Man makes historic Channel flight | Lifestyle | Reuters

The jet man has taken his personal wing across the English Channel. Of course it required an aircraft-assisted launch, and flame-retardant pants, and it's not quite the same as boosting out of your back yard for the morning work commute. But it's close enough that I'm willing to accept its fulfillment of the 1950s promise of the personal jetpack.

Now all I need is my jet car, but I think they're getting pretty close there too...

I want one of those.

Back
Top Bottom