What does "Don't lose money" mean?

km4hr

Recycles dryer sheets
I've read that Warren Buffet's number one investment rule is "Don't lose money". What does he mean by that? Hasn't Birkshire Hathaway lost money in this bear market? The only way I can think of not to lose money is to put it in the bank or a money market fund, etc. Warren obviously doesn't do that. Please explain.

He buys low and doesn't sell low.

He buys low and doesn't sell low.

Does this mean that one must never sell a stock that's worth less than he paid? If so, it's as cynical as the old "buy low, sell high" rule. In fact, it means the same thing.

Really, I believe that his emphasis is on very careful investigation of the securities that you buy and the prices that you are prepared to pay. He doesn't think that the prices quotes will never go below where he buys, only that he is quite unlikely to suffer permanent impariment.

Like in 2000. It didn't matter that one was a stalwart prepared to never sell, too many companies just disappeared. That's permanent impairment!

ha

I've always taken that to be sort of a tongue in cheek rule, not something with deep meaning. Kind of like when a coach says the key to winning is to score more points than the other team.

It's so simple that we look for some complex answer that just isn't there.

I've always taken that to be sort of a tongue in cheek rule, not something with deep meaning. Kind of like when a coach says the key to winning is to score more points than the other team.

I think Warren's philosophy is more the don't make mistakes (let the other team score) then a score as many points as we can to win tactic.

DD

Back
Top Bottom