Tanta (Calculated Risk) Is Deceased

OMG! What sad news.. I really enjoyed her writing. I was aware she wasn't in the best of health via various allusions but did not know she was so poorly. Though I had been following that blog a bit less in the last few months I knew her posts had dropped off.

I loved her [proudly "nerdy" and uncompromising] insider views and analysis; she was one of the few unafraid to point out the Emperor's nakedness. I'm glad she undertook the task of contributing towards enlightening us all in spite of her personal health challenges. I will light a candle for her. I'll sorely miss her talent and intelligence.

Sad situation

"cause of death was ovarian cancer"

Having her site on my list for apst yr I also conversed with her Directly via Emails.. (my Wife had same and Died from this as well at age 50 )

She was a Nice Girl and Makes me So Angry these Women just don't go in for Pap Smears every Yr! to catch this Terrible Thing Early..

my wife Didn't go in for 10 yrs..and then it was too late.. Big as a Grapefruit and spread to Lympnodes by then..

Get your Wife to Get in for a Pap Smear every Yr Guys!

She will be sorely Missed..

"cause of death was ovarian cancer"

Having her site on my list for apst yr I also conversed with her Directly via Emails.. (my Wife had same and Died from this as well at age 50 )

She was a Nice Girl and Makes me So Angry these Women just don't go in for Pap Smears every Yr! to catch this Terrible Thing Early..

my wife Didn't go in for 10 yrs..and then it was too late.. Big as a Grapefruit and spread to Lympnodes by then..

She will be sorely Missed..

DW's mom died of it, but that was back in 77, and I don't think the tests were either developed or known to be as helpful back then........:p

Sorry about your losses.

While I am all in favor of periodic Pap smeas for most women, unfortunately this helps in the early detection of cervical (and occasionally endometrial) cancer. It is rarely if ever useful to detect ovarian cancer. Just for clarification...

Though some of the current research is encouraging, a safe, reliable, and easy early detection strategy for ovarian cancer is not yet available.

Though some of the current research is encouraging, a safe, reliable, and easy early detection strategy for ovarian cancer is not yet available.

Rich, haven't some doctors advocated hysterectomies for women with genetic markers for ovarian cancer? Seems extreme to me, but possible??

Rich, haven't some doctors advocated hysterectomies for women with genetic markers for ovarian cancer? Seems extreme to me, but possible??
Yes, the "BRCA" breast cancer genes also increase risk for ovarian cancer and male breast cancer. Depending on specific issues for each patient, prophylactic removal of the ovaries is appropriate. The ovaries are difficult to keep an eye on so removal is the only effective preventive measure known at this time. Very careful follow-up and even preventive mastectomies are among the available choices for women with that gene.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom