Deducting Moving Expenses on Taxes

inquisitive

Recycles dryer sheets
I moved to a new state about 6 months ago for my job and I know that I can deduct moving expenses on my tax return, which will include my air travel to this new state. So far I have been getting by with public transportation, but I am planning on bringing my car here in 2009. As long as it is shipped here within 1 year of my move the cost is deductible right? If I drive it here instead, I can deduct the 19 cents/mile as the cost of moving the car?

Another question: I noticed I don't have the receipt of the cost of moving my things to my new residence (~$30 from taxi to take all my bags from the airport), but I don't need it unless I get audited and probably there is a small chance of this if I do my returns carefully and correctly and don't take advantage of any crazy deductions?

All correct
You could also deduct the actual expense of moving the car (not the $.19/mile) if you so chose.

What if someone else drove the car here and then flew back to their destination? If I paid for everything could I deduct the actual cost of the moving the car (good point) and the airfare for the person's return cost? I'm assuming all this would still be cheaper than shipping the car here, which could be a deductible expense.

The cost of moving the car is deductable- the tax law does not distinguish as to how the car was moved (who drove it).

Back
Top Bottom