CPNI

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Prior to receiving my monthly AT&T phone bill yesterday I had never heard of this acronym. Enclosed in my bill this month was an insert entitled: "AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE ABOUT THE PRIVACY OF YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION (CUSTOMER PROPIETARY NETWORK INFORMATION OR CPNI." (their caps)

Unlike many consumers, I tend to actually read these paper inserts as they often contain information that prove to be eventually important. CPNI, evidently is information that AT&T can use to share "within the AT&T family...for our marketing purposes", as they put it.

The meat of the notice was the following :" If at any time you would prefer that AT&T not use your CPNI to offer you additional products and services -you may call AT&T at 1-800-xxx-xxxx."

I called to 800#, but the recording asked me for my 10 digit phone # PLUS a code that was on my phone bill some place. I hung up, I rounded up the bill, called the # again, punched in the appropriate data, and I assume that I'm off of their list now. I would be interested in knowing how many customers took the time to opt-out. I suspect that I am in the minority.

I'll be checking in the future to see if I am [-]harassed, badgered, inundated[/-] contacted by the AT&T family.

Here's what the FCC has to say about it:
Protecting Your Telephone Calling Records

"Your telephone company or VoIP provider may use your customer information, without your approval, to market enhancements to services you already use."

And...

"Both Congress and the FCC have strengthened their rules to combat a practice known as “pretexting,” or posing as the actual customer or a law enforcement official to obtain telephone calling records. In some cases, data brokers offer calling records for sale on the Internet. "

Put these two statements together, and it tells me that unless you opt out, as you did, they might sell your info to all kinds of external marketers. They wouldn't need your implied consent to market their own services to you.

I'm really down on big telcos. They're not only soaking the public, they're killing themselves.

Back
Top Bottom