Early withdrawal penalty for Roth 401k

summer2007

Recycles dryer sheets
Just wondering if anyone knew what the early withdrawal penalty is for a Roth 401k?

I couldn't find it anywhere. I even asked T. Rowe Price and they couldn't give me a straight answer......maybe it's because they don't want me withdrawing anything!

Jim

Thanks REWahoo

So the early withdrawal penalty for a Roth 401k is the same as the penalty for a Roth IRA?

Jim

Be sure to note that the penalty and tax is on the earnings only. Withdrawals are first treated as returns on what you put in and there won't be a penalty on that money.

So if there is a loss in a Roth account then there would be no penalty? It could be that in previous there was some gain in previous years. So if I put in $4k and it had gains to $6k but then went down to $3K I could take out the $3K tax free?

So if there is a loss in a Roth account then there would be no penalty? ...So if I put in $4k and it had gains to $6k but then went down to $3K I could take out the $3K tax free?
Yes - although the fact you paid tax on $4k before placing it in the Roth might prompt some to argue your $3k withdrawal was far from "tax free". :)

Thanks Martha, Ziggy, Yakers, And ReWahoo

Ziggy is right....unless I invested in a money market...which I did not....you have a big loss!

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom