Suze in Trouble.......

Maybe she needs to "talk" to her crystals about what to do, kinda like she did when she was an advisor.

At least Dave Ramsey isn't a commissioned salesperson........:)

She being one of dozens of financial talking heads that appear on TV and radio, I'm surprised that more of these folks are not involved in legal disputes of this nature. Her E&O insurance will take care of this. Maybe there are more of these, but they are settled out of court.

Deep pockets attract disturbed folks.

I hate Suze as much as the next investor, but this case is a joke.

I admire Suze. She worked the system and wont have to worry about 4% withdraw rates. Smart cookie :cool:

Ppfff, she got lucky because CNBC loves dimbats, wants women hosts, and the American people are financially illiterate. So yes she worked the system, and barely provided anything in return. I mean she made it in life by suing her broker and then extorting them into giving her a job. And she brags about it. So should all Americans follow in her footsteps?

Suze Orman's story is one of the most pathetic examples of rags to riches, I've ever seen. I'd be happy if she was back living in her hippie van in Berkely, CA.

Ppfff, she got lucky because CNBC loves dimbats, wants women hosts, and the American people are financially illiterate. So yes she worked the system, and barely provided anything in return. I mean she made it in life by suing her broker and then extorting them into giving her a job. And she brags about it. So should all Americans follow in her footsteps?

Suze Orman's story is one of the most pathetic examples of rags to riches, I've ever seen. I'd be happy if she was back living in her hippie van in Berkely, CA.

So you really think. Those before her did anything much different? Its the American dream. Go learn about all the so called greats who went to the top walking across the backs of hard workers. :) Or is it because she is a woman its different..pffff ...

That is pathetic. I've learned about a lot of the greats, and they didn't make it wealthy "on the backs of hard workers". They actually used their brain to come up with: good products, better service, a good business model, etc. Having access to labor doesn't make you wealthy.

And its ideologically bigoted of you to suggest that I think she is a hack solely because she is a woman. I don't like her because she got where she is by lawsuit and then extorting the plaintiff for a job. And on top of that she gives bad financial advice all the time.

Read her story once. She was a 30 year old hippie working as a waitress and because she was good looking a bunch of people gave her 50K, after she was dumb enough to think that her parents could give it to her to start up a restaurant. She didn't even know what a money market account or Merril Lynch was. After that she gave her 50K to a person that lost it all for her because she didn't understand what was she was signing.

I give her some credit for pulling herself together and actually learning an industry. I also give her credit for the success she had at Merrill Lynch after they hired her. But that doesn't make her qualified to be miss financial planner on the biggest financial news network in the world.

I could just as easily go on a tirade about Dave Ramsey because he is a hack to. But at least he understands that he is dealing with the completely financial illiterate and that is how his show is designed. But anytime he gets into something a little bit more complicated, boom he unloads complete $hit advice.

That is pathetic. I've learned about a lot of the greats, and they didn't make it wealthy "on the backs of hard workers". They actually used their brain to come up with: good products, better service, a good business model, etc. Having access to labor doesn't make you wealthy.

And its ideologically bigoted of you to suggest that I think she is a hack solely because she is a woman. I don't like her because she got where she is by lawsuit and then extorting the plaintiff for a job. And on top of that she gives bad financial advice all the time.

Read her story once. She was a 30 year old hippie working as a waitress and because she was good looking a bunch of people gave her 50K, after she was dumb enough to think that her parents could give it to her to start up a restaurant. She didn't even know what a money market account or Merril Lynch was. After that she gave her 50K to a person that lost it all for her because she didn't understand what was she was signing.

I give her some credit for pulling herself together and actually learning an industry. I also give her credit for the success she had at Merrill Lynch after they hired her. But that doesn't make her qualified to be miss financial planner on the biggest financial news network in the world.

I could just as easily go on a tirade about Dave Ramsey because he is a hack to. But at least he understands that he is dealing with the completely financial illiterate and that is how his show is designed. But anytime he gets into something a little bit more complicated, boom he unloads complete $hit advice.

Wow, I didn't know her back ground. I don't watch her because of her personality. She gets on my nerves.

From what I understand from reading, Orman met her "life partner" at a party, the other woman was a publicist and Orman asked her "what can you do for ME?" The publicist/now girlfriend took Orman under her wing and bed...and va-whalla you have now a Financial Advisor (cough, cough).
Am I the only one who gets freaked out by her glaring eyes? Spooky.

I think you have read this from a few others before. So I wont go into the whole have a nice life speech.

She's pregnant?
Just a little....:cool:

I had seen one of her shows on TV several years. I lasted 15 minutes. Too noisy in her verbal delivery. :nonono:
I actually read 1 of her books when I was first FIREd. I had a skeptical attitude, but I also kept half an open mind.
My conclusion ? :sick:
Sometimes you have to read the fluff to educate yourself about what DOES NOT makes sense.

I admire Suze. She worked the system and wont have to worry about 4% withdraw rates. Smart cookie :cool:

+1

She's very successful at what she does...no one can argue that.

Her target audience isn't the people on these forums. It's the people who have no financial sense. She's able to communicate effectively with people who don't understand why it's bad to have $10,000 in credit card debt at 17%.

I think she is fine. 85% of people would improve their financial lives by listening to her, as would at least some who are or were on this board. She would prevent blow-ups from absolute lack of diversification, for example.

As to her loud voice, it works- she is rich and most of us are not.

As to her sexuality, as least she gets some of that, and the type she wants. What could be better?

As to her sleeping with someone who boosted her career-if she were the only person in the world who ever slept with someone who might be helpful to her I might try to get bothered by that. Don't think it is going to happen. :)

Ha

"As to her sleeping with someone who boosted her career-if she were the only person in the world who ever slept with someone who might be helpful to her I might try to get bothered by that. Don't think it is going to happen. :)"
Yeah I agree with that. The trick is to not get caught though. Now that she is all one can do is have that as another reason why she shouldn't be admired.

Suze has been an invaluable educational resource...

... for our 16-year old.

We have an especially good family time watching "Can I Afford It?" together. After the first couple dozen of those our kid can figure out the ending all by herself.

Listen, if I knew I could get a gazillion dollar business by sleeping with someone I would do it, too (we all have our price), but MY point was that she WASN'T a financial advisor of any real substance. Her publicist/girlfriend annointed her a financial advisor as a gimmick. Working for Merrill Lynch does not a financial advisor make. Did you miss that point, fellas?
As for her sexuality? Who cares if she's gay or not. That is not the point at all. It just so easily could have been some guy she met who annointed her a financial analyst.
Orman to me is just another opportunist who had the sense to grab onto an idea and run with it. It made her extremely wealthy, but for me to take her advice seriously...no. Sorry. She seems to just use the common sense we all should have (but often don't). I see nothing incredibly wonderful about her advice at all.

Orman to me is just another opportunist who had the sense to grab onto an idea and run with it. It made her extremely wealthy, but for me to take her advice seriously...no. Sorry. She seems to just use the common sense we all should have (but often don't). I see nothing incredibly wonderful about her advice at all.
I think people who are reasonably well-versed in investing and financial planning have no reason to see much "wonderful" about her advice.

In many ways she's like Dave Ramsey in that both generally are talking to the "lowest common denominator" when it comes to money management, and they often have to be spoken to in "absolutes" which make little sense for someone who's good with their money. The last thing they want to do is admit there are exceptions, lest all the "lowest common denominator" assume they are one when they probably aren't.

Ramsey's target audience may be those people with a history of problems with debt. Just as you'd tell an alcoholic not to even have one drink because they have trouble handling it, you tell a "debtaholic" to not any more debt or credit cards *at all*.

To someone more discerning and more advanced in money skills, you might say "why NOT charge regular expenses on a 2% cash back credit card if I can easily pay it off this month?"

But you've just identified yourself as NOT a part of the target audience and so, in a manner consistent with speaking to the target audience, he waves his hand and makes excuses about how it's never, never, *never* a good idea. I suspect many of us who have successfully used cash back and rewards credit cards responsibly for years would disagree, just as someone who isn't an alcoholic wouldn't see a need to NEVER have a drink or two.

So it is with Orman. Her advice tends to be simplistic, one-size-fits-all, and sometimes too idealistic. (You can usually tell when they use words like "always" and "never" in their advice.) Most of us on this board are beyond that stage in our understanding of financial planning. But for someone clueless about cash, there's actually some useful stuff in there.

I swim with a guy who worships Orman's advice. He's Jewish and she's Jewish, and this seems to be a big draw for him, also. However, this guy at 56 has never worked a job it seems as his parents seems to have cared for him all his life (Daddy made and invested alot it seems); and has no clue about money whatsoever as he seems to think that it isn't at all unusual to have a million dollars, which it isn't everyday or that easily made when you start with zip. This guy isn't handicapped I don't think...just babied and somewhat weird.
If Orman is looking for this kind of watcher then she's found her target audience in him: he has absolutely no real world common sense at all. For example, when he talked to me about leasing a car, and I said it was foolish if you could buy one, his comment to me was "that's what Suze Orman says." Well, duh. No common sense.
She gives primary level advice to me, and not worth the time to spend listening to her.

The few times that I have caught Suze recently and viewed the "can I afford..." segment I though it to be staged~

"Suze I have $2000 in an IRA, make $28,000 annually, 45 years old, and want to spend $20,000 on a new Harley. Can I afford it?"

Back
Top Bottom