market to crash again, down by 35% (S&P 600) by year end, Gary Schilling

Do you think he is right?

• Yes

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 104 80.6%

• Total voters
Shotgunner,

This is two threads you've posted regarding bearish forecasts. Are you worried? :)

Also, this is interesting as well. You added a C to each analysts name.

Shilling became Schilling, Shiller became Schiller. Not sure what to make of that. :cool:

Another profit (deliberate missspell) of doom :whistle:(by the graveyard). I had a good day yesterday and now this trickles into my bowl of wheaties.

The Market's Going to Crash: Here's What to Buy: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

It's always a bad sign when forum members make fun of these gurus. Gary Shilling doesn't hedge his statements, they were real-time cataloged over many years in Forbes, and he certainly caught the big wave of the last 30 years.

I think I'll go sell some stock this morning- not because of what he said, but because of how we are laughing at him.

I have tended to be disbeliever in his deflation thesis; but then I didn't embrace his dis-inflation thesis when he explained it in the early 80s, so my track record could be a lot better.

Ha

I didn't vote because I haven't the slightest idea of what the economy or markets are going to do and there isn't an "I don't know option". :(

....now this trickles into my bowl of wheaties.

Reminds me, it's time to stock up on a variety of breakfast foods, I'm clear out of hash and we can always count on Wheaties; breakfast basket should not be all eggs (groan, I'll stop here).

I'm inclined to bet both ways, diversify with new money and think long term.

It's always a bad sign when forum members make fun of these gurus. Gary Shilling doesn't hedge his statements, they were real-time cataloged over many years in Forbes, and he certainly caught the big wave of the last 30 years.

Ha

Forum posts as a contrarian indicator - interesting! :)

First, ya retired at 51 in early '08 and then took quite a beating in first 6 months of ER. Second, I used to work at a place named Schiller Station (maybe there is a reason I instinctively go for that spellin after having typed it a gazillion times)

It's always a bad sign when forum members make fun of these gurus.
Ha, you know making fun of market gurus, illicit car park attendants, variable annuity salesmen and permacurmudgeons is a virtual national pastime on this forum.

Hey, do I see some kids on your grass? :D

I really like Cheerios--can we have a poll about breakfast food investments? Yeah, I know, pancakes would win in a landslide.

I'm going to be a financial guru in my next life as so many people like to make fun of me in this one. But I have to say I like reading all of the articles that people post links to--nothing wrong with getting all sides of the stories. Except about how to get me a young bride in a third world country. Or about the pancake-free diet.

Bacon? Balanced index? Pssst - Wellesley?

:D

heh heh heh - agile, mobile and hostile - hang tough folks football season is coming. :cool: ;). I used to know stuff - now I have only strong opinions.

BTW, we're right about at the point we were at the start of the year. So, if you regretted rebalancing then, you could undo it at this point.

Bacon? Balanced index? Pssst - Wellesley?

:D

heh heh heh - agile, mobile and hostile - hang tough folks football season is coming. :cool: ;). I used to know stuff - now I have only strong opinions.

Saints could use some defense, they gotta quit looking at the 2008 Packers defense as a guide.......:nonono:

I don't think anyone knows for sure how throwing trillions of dollars around is going to affect things long-term, but it doesn't look rosy.........

I have no idea what is going to happen with the markets but as for breakfast food I like granola .

I am not sure at this point that we are in a bull market so I am going to invest in bonds for now and once the market has established itself in the positive direction I'll switch into stocks.

the market has established itself in the positive direction

In the entire history of the world, the stock market has never once established itself in the positive direction.

I'm going to continue what I did when the market is going down, up or sideways.
Keep DCAing in and collect the dividends:)
As for the article referenced by the original poster, I second the request for a 'don't know and it doesn't matter' option.
He may be right, he may not.

Isn't that another way of saying "I plan on buying high"?

Bull markets last for years. If I miss the beginning of it to possibly avoid a big 30% loss, then it is well worth it. And I'd be buying relatively low compared to where the market is going to go.

That system would work fine if every bull market lasted for years. Unfortunately, a big drop can occur at any time, including the day after the market has "established itself in a positive direction."

If you aren't superstitious, you can highlight the text below for a secret message:
The market has gone up 6.5% in five days.

Back
Top Bottom