List of cars that qualify $4500 rebate

rsingh6675

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi,
Does anyone know the web page that lists old cars that qualify $4500 cash rebate from Government. I have 1996 Infinity G20 and am wondering if it qualifies for the Government refund.
Thanks.

Hi,
Does anyone know the web page that lists old cars that qualify $4500 cash rebate from Government. I have 1996 Infinity G20 and am wondering if it qualifies for the Government refund.
Thanks.

Looks like your current car does not qualify.... so it does not matter which ones quality for the $4500..

Hi,
Thanks.

Your car doesn't qualify because you average about 23 mpg if you have an automatic and even more if you have a manual. "Clunkers" have to average 18mpg or less.

So, when you get cash for your "clunker", do they send it to the crusher, or do they just sell it to somebody else?

Also, it seems like people currently without a clunker would buy one, then turn around and trade it for the cash bailout, right?

So, when you get cash for your "clunker", do they send it to the crusher, or do they just sell it to somebody else?

Also, it seems like people currently without a clunker would buy one, then turn around and trade it for the cash bailout, right?

The 'clunker' tradeins get a one way ticket to scrapsville.

See how it goes down here - Cash For Clunkers: Trade-Ins Get Lethal Injection | The Truth About Cars

...and you can't just go out and buy a beater to flip it on a new hoopty. I think it has to have been registered/insured by you for the last 12 months.

The 'clunker' tradeins get a one way ticket to scrapsville.

See how it goes down here - Cash For Clunkers: Trade-Ins Get Lethal Injection | The Truth About Cars

...and you can't just go out and buy a beater to flip it on a new hoopty. I think it has to have been registered/insured by you for the last 12 months.

That's a big waste of energy. My 2002 car is good for another 2-3 years or 40k miles. At least leave it on the street so that people can rip the parts off. :)

Oh wow! And here I am trying to wait until after we have moved to buy my new car. That's a nice incentive too and it expires at the end of the year.

You may have to monitor this, if possible. It expires at the EOY *or* when the program runs out of money, which ever comes FIRST.

I've seen both $1B and $4B batted around, don't know which they ended up with, or a new number.

That's a big waste of energy. My 2002 car is good for another 2-3 years or 40k miles. At least leave it on the street so that people can rip the parts off. :)

Agreed. I wrote my congress critters, like that does any good. It does not appear that they did any analysis at all on mpg savings versus the energy to replace a working car with a new one years earlier. FUEGO came up with some scenarios that showed a $4-$30 cost to the taxpayer for each gallon saved (not counting the scrap replacement cost, just the $3500/$4500 versus gas savings). I calculated ~ $200K to save a car mfg job for a year (shift in a year actually - this program will only shift the purchase of a vehicle, those vehicles won't be bought later). Some supplier jobs will be saved, I didn't account for that because I didn't have the facts, but that is still a big number if you cut it down, esp considering it is a SHIFT in demand/jobs, not a "creation" of demand/jobs.

-ERD50

C for C

I'm tradin' my '98 F-150 (V-8/14 mpg average) for a 2010 Camry SE. Already made the deal, and the new car's sitting on the dealer's lot. However, they say the C for C system's so clogged with people trying to get in all at once, they can't get in to register. So....hopefully by Monday the Camry will be mine. That'll make us a 2 Camry family. DW's is an '07 LE that we bought new in '06. I got the $4500, plus another $1000 rebate from Toyota, plus a $400 military credit...PLUS....of course I had to still whittle 'em down on the MSRP too.

Mine has closer to 200k and it's also got some transmission issues, plus a misfire on number 4 cylinder that I think's related to a head problem, possibly a crack. It's running kind of rough, and I'm not sure the tranny will make it through another winter. That's when it slips the most. Also, I bought it used at 100k miles, and it had been wrecked & repaired before I bought it, and cosmetically it's got some rust & paint issues from that deal. The $4500 thing is my only chance to get close to that amount out of this truck. I know buying a new car is pretty much a losing proposition.

Oh yeah....I'm moving back to Texas next month! Job transfer to Lufkin,near the end of August. Wisconsin's been nice enough (not counting January!) but it's time to head back down south where I belong. Folks are nice enough around here, but they can't drive worth a damn! :D Sorry Finance Dude, no offense!

I'm tradin' my '98 F-150 (V-8/14 mpg average) for a 2010 Camry SE. Already made the deal, and the new car's sitting on the dealer's lot. However, they say the C for C system's so clogged with people trying to get in all at once, they can't get in to register. So....hopefully by Monday the Camry will be mine. That'll make us a 2 Camry family. DW's is an '07 LE that we bought new in '06. I got the $4500, plus another $1000 rebate from Toyota, plus a $400 military credit...PLUS....of course I had to still whittle 'em down on the MSRP too.

I'd really be proud of that "buy American" spirit. Here, I thought it was the American government that was giving the cash back. Maybe the Japanese government also got involved and we didn't know it.

Agreed. I wrote my congress critters, like that does any good. It does not appear that they did any analysis at all ...
-ERD50

Congress? Analysis? We should be glad these guys can read and write. Well, one may doubt even that, as they seem to want to go on TV and talk all the time.

Anyway, who voted them in? As someone has said, if you are disgusted with these critters, you obviously have not seen their constituents.

Now, where's the Web link of the eligible car list so I can check to see if my car is on it.

I'd really be proud of that "buy American" spirit. Here, I thought it was the American government that was giving the cash back. Maybe the Japanese government also got involved and we didn't know it.

Talk to Congress, they didn't put a "Buy American" (whatever that means these days) clause in the program. So no requirement (not even implied) to "Buy American" if you are able/willing to participate.

Considering the complexity of determining foreign versus American content, and the unintended consequences, I think it is just as well. But I'd prefer they scrap the bill than scrap working vehicles. I also don't consider it very "democratic" to offer a benefit to a special/random group of people (those who bought gas hogs years ago and are now looking to buy new cars), while others (who might have been more conservation minded and bought high mpg vehicles) get nothing.

It's just wrong on so many levels.

-ERD50

Lufkin in August. I can almost smell the paper mill from here...:nonono:

Better than Janesville in January IMO. Congrats Marty on getting out of Wisconsin. I envy you

I thought that a qualifying "clunker" had to have under 150,000 miles?
Nope, no mileage requirement:

• Your vehicle must be less than 25 years old on the trade-in date
  • Only purchase or lease of new vehicles qualify
  • Generally, trade-in vehicles must get 18 or less MPG (some very large pick-up trucks and cargo vans have different requirements)
  • Trade-in vehicles must be registered and insured continuously for the full year preceding the trade-in
  • You don't need a voucher, dealers will apply a credit at purchase
  • Program runs through Nov 1, 2009 or when the funds are exhausted, whichever comes first.
  • The program requires the scrapping of your eligible trade-in vehicle, and that the dealer disclose to you an estimate of the scrap value of your trade-in. The scrap value, however minimal, will be in addition to the rebate, and not in place of the rebate.
CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System

...offer a benefit to a special/random group of people (those who bought gas hogs years ago and are now looking to buy new cars), while others (who might have been more conservation minded and bought high mpg vehicles) get nothing.
Seems to be a trend these days.

Another example: Since it's so dry here I looked up the stages of water rationing in our city. In the highest level of rationing, in the summer months you are given a "baseline" of 1/2 of your average monthly usage in the December to March period. So if you average 10,000 gallons a month in December through March, you'd get 5,000 gallons a month during "stage 5" rationing and pay HUGE surcharges on additional usage (up to an extra $100 per 1,000 gallons overused).

Which means that folks who have been conserving water really take it in the shorts. Those who have really conserved (like us) barely use 2,000 gallons a month on average in winter, and there is NO realistic way we can use only 1,000 gallons a month in the summer even if we let every patch of greenery die.

Note that if we wasted water in the winter time, we'd get a lot more than 1,000 gallons a month. If we just allowed a few thousand more gallons to get wasted down the drain, we'd have nothing to worry about. But because we conserve, if this stage of rationing hits, we're screwed.

Sorry for the hijack, but it is another example of policy which penalizes those who were conservation-minded from the get-go.

My 1997 infiniti j30 is on the list. I've never gotten less than 19 miles per gallon, usually on highway I get closer to 23-24 miles per gallon. Now, I may have to think about trading it in. I only paid 7k for it, and have put about 65k of the 108k total miles on it. We've been thinking of getting a little pick-up truck...

Jim

Back
Top Bottom