Hey everyone. First time poster. Age-21 and looking for a retirement plan

Roger30236

Confused about dryer sheets
I am currently on a flight back from Las Vegas to Atlanta, Georgia and I was talking with a passenger next to me about retirement.

He recommended Roth IRA and I was curious what you guys think.

And could you tell me if this is current math and if so, how is this.

After 24years of putting 1k in a retirement fund each of 6 years.
Divide your interest percent into 72. 12%/72=6years double you money.

LOL

Nope, actually set myself a budget of $700 over the course of 6 days for myself and 13 days for my girlfriend.
I play Texas Holdem and use all my profit for recreational use lol.

Was just wondering how retirement funds work because the post I made at first makes it seem extremely easy to make money through retirement and honestly, Im not sure if I did this correct or not.

Also just looking for recommendations lol.

The math seems wrong to me. If you contribute $1K/year to a Roth IRA for the next 24 years and earn 12% a year on that money (good luck with that!), I get about $133,000 at the end of year 24. With mild inflation this would be equivalent to about $67,000 today.

Hum just make sure your fellow passenger is not trying to sell you anything... This sounds like a financial advisor's sales pitch to me.;)

yeah I thought it sounded too high lol.

I'm thinking about doing 1,000 every year, was just wondering how it would look. Thanks guys.

Does the 12% interest only account for the money deposited into the fund or the total fund.?

Oh and also, if I continue to put 1k a year after 24 years, would you mind doing the math and telling me what it would look like after 5-15 years? :)

The 12% interest only accounts for money deposited in the account at the time. I assume you deposited $1000 on January 1st the first year and earned 12% on that, so that at the end of year 1 you would have $1,120. Then I assumed you deposited another $1000 on January 1st of the second year, so you start year 2 with $1,120+$1000=$2,120 in the account. At the end of year 2, you will have earned 12% on $2,120 and you should have $2.374. Repeat as necessary.

If you keep adding $1K per year to you account after year 24 you would have:
$271,000 at the end of year 30 (about $112,000 today with mild inflation)
$484,000 at the end of year 35 (about $172,000 today with mild inflation)
$860,000 at the end of year 40 (about $263,000 today with mild inflation)

Does the 12% interest only account for the money deposited into the fund or the total fund.?
If you use 12% as an expected long term return, there's a pretty good chance you'll be disappointed and working a lot longer than your estimates would predict.

I'd be more comfortable using 8%, but then, I'm pretty famously overconservative when it comes to making guesses about the future. Especially since you probably want to start most aggressively (100% stocks or close to it) and slowly become more conservative over time. Even if you assume 12% on an all-stock portfolio (again, too ambitious for me), you'd probably be moving it down to 11%, 10%, 9% and so on every few years to account for an increasingly conservative asset allocation as you age.

Oh okay. Again one quick question.
What do you mean about the inflation.

$860,000 being a lower number?

Do you mean in 40 years the cost of one dollar know will be equivalent to .25 cents?

Oh okay. Again one quick question.
What do you mean about the inflation.

$860,000 being a lower number?

Do you mean in 40 years the cost of one dollar know will be equivalent to .25 cents?

Yes. If inflation is 3% per year (close to the historical average), 1 dollar in 40 years will be equivalent to about 30 cents today.

Roger, it sounds like your informant was mis-using the old "Rule of 72", which is used to approximate the doubling time of a single, compounded investment. Divide 72 by the interest rate to estimate how long it will take an investment to double. For example, a $1000 investment earning 6% will double to $2000 in about 12 years.

Coach

Back
Top Bottom