What are your plans for Christmas?

DangerMouse

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With Christmas almost upon us, just wondering what everyone has planned. Whatever it may be, I hope that you get to spend the time in a manner you enjoy with people you like.

For us, we managed to score some frequent flyer flights at the last minute so will be flying to Hong Kong on Thursday on Cathay in First Class for a grand total of $250. We will have a week touring HK and Macau. We are both excited.

We will be with Frank's big extended family here in New Orleans. About 30 will dine together on Christmas Eve at a New Orleans Sicilian restaurant that is owned by a close friend of the family, where the food is out of this world. If there is a heaven, and if I go there, I will eat in that restaurant every night without gaining weight (but that will never happen in THIS world! So I am trying to eat very lightly all week). This has become my favorite part of Christmas, here in New Orleans.

Then on Christmas Day we will get together with the family again to exchange presents and enjoy the usual Christmas Day festivities. More fantastic food, more temptation, and lots of family members of all ages and kiddies running around. We plan to leave early and enjoy the evening together.

Sounds like you are looking forward to your trip, Dangermouse!! Have fun in Hong Kong and Macau. :)

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day will both be spent here at home mostly....in peace and quiet. Probably watch a few Christmas specials on TV....maybe an old movie or two....listen to some nice Christmas music....etc. All in all, it's just time for us to kick back and relax, and enjoy all that this holiday season has to offer.

The only exception to the above, is that at noon on Christmas Day we'll go downtown to the Masonic Lodge for their annual community dinner. We've been going there for about the last 10 or 11 years. It's a nice time to visit with old friends, and meet new folks as well....and to enjoy a very nice dinner, with no dishes to wash afterwards! It's open to everyone, free of charge, whether rich or poor, old or young, solo or with a whole herd of kin in tow. :)

I'm going to be naughty or nice...haven't decided yet....:whistle:

Have a wonderful, safe trip DM! :greetings10:

Going to DH's parents' house for Christmas, then visiting his grandparents.

This year I proactively gave my in-laws a list of things I wanted: a couple of books, socks, and mousetraps. I don't know why, but I'm kinda excited about the gifts, especially mousetraps!

Happy holidays, everyone! :greetings10:

I'm going to be naughty or nice...haven't decided yet....:whistle:

Have a wonderful, safe trip DM! :greetings10:

Hey, bbbamI, Santa is checking his list, twice;); and he'll wave at DM flying in the opposite direction.

We're doing exactly the same dinner as Thanksgiving, turkey with simple side dishes & pies, then going out to see the decorations.

I like DM's plans better than mine. I fly out tomorrow for FL. Will spend Christmas with my cousin and some friends. I like to walk the beach and reflect a bit on Christmas morning. I return to the frozen tundra the second week of January but do have a trip planned the second week in Feb. to visit friends in Houston for a week. Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2010, All!

dh2b and I are spending it together, just us two. Peace and quiet. :D
I plan to order 2 steamed lobsters, some shrimp cocktail and/or scampi and scallops, served cruise line style.
Do a formal table setting, meal served in several courses, nice uniform :cool: , etc etc.
You can't buy THAT in a store. :whistle:

Traditionally, I host a dinner for my family on Christmas Eve. But since some of the family members are going to be out-of-town this year, we did that early this year. This means SO and I have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day all to ourselves, which we are kind of excited about.

We have dinner reservations on Christmas Eve; after dinner we'll drive around and look at decorations. We'll most likely just hang out at home on Christmas Day.

I just bought a small Hormel spiral cut ham, so we are having dinner at home; and, since I just love to cook, am planning a really good one for just my mother, son and I. Did some light decorating already.
Usual exchange of gifts; but I did rent a Simpson's Christmas movie from Netflix to entertain us. Figure we can eat and watch Homer and Marge Simpson and get a few laughs in this holiday.

On the 24th, dinner with immediate family with Santa coming to drop off the gifts for the little ones later in the evening. On the 25th, 12-hour marathon dinner with extended family.

One thing I will not be doing is running up my electricity bill, like this person.

How much you want to bet this homeowner is retired? :LOL:

Attachments

• XmasHouseDeltaTerrace09.jpg
    XmasHouseDeltaTerrace09.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 2
Christmas Eve mass and then out to dinner . Christmas Day I have sixteen of the extended family coming for dinner . I serve it buffet style with several tables including one on the deck overlooking the water . Ham ,shrimp , scalloped potatoes , pineapple stuffing , salad,rolls , hors d 'oeuvres and plenty of desserts.

I have volunteered to [-]w*rk[/-] take up space at office on Christmas Eve since DBF will be skiing with a buddy who has the day off. Odds are good it will be an early release day anyway! Quiet dinner (Italian food!) with DBF that evening. Christmas day will be spent with his family (as usual!) with the usual slew of extended family - lots of good food and more fun for me than him (hey, they are not my relatives; I like most of them!) His little nieces think we are cool, so they are good for amusement!

We will be spending Christmas Eve at my DH daughter and son-in-law's. They became first time parents three weeks ago when they adopted our beautiful new granddaughter. She is now 5 weeks old and they don't want to get her out and about just yet. We will be having just appetizers and exchanging gifts. The best gift is the new baby!

I am cooking dinner on Christmas Day for my son and his girlfriend, and my DH's Mother. We are having turkey and all the trimmings.

This will be a special Christmas for all of us. My son has recovered from the bacterial meningitus that he contracted in August and our new granddaughter is the icing on the cake of life.

Ham ,shrimp , scalloped potatoes , pineapple stuffing , salad,rolls , hors d 'oeuvres and plenty of desserts.

I have never heard of pineapple stuffing. Can you share the recipe, please? My son loves stuffing.

We will go to church on Christmas Eve and then my son and his girlfriend will come for dinner on Christmas Day. I will be having a ham dinner. This will be the smallest number of people on Christmas Day in years. There are normally at least 14 people that get together and now there will only be 4. My DD and her family moved to CA, my step-father died, and my niece is expecting her first baby 1/4/10 and so my sister and her family are going to VA to spend Christmas with her.

Cruisinthru,

I agree that babies are the best gifts. Enjoy your new grandbaby.

I have never heard of pineapple stuffing. Can you share the recipe, please? My son loves stuffing.

Here is the recipe . It is a pretty sweet stuffing but it goes great with ham .

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs well beaten
1 can crushed pineapple
5 slices of white bread

Beat sugar & butter til fluffy . Add eggs and pineapple and mix well . Add bread pieces and mix . Place in two quart casserole and bake at 350 for 1 hour until the top is slightly brown .

Thanks for the good wishes! Yes , we know we are really blessed this year.

We have Christmas all about complete. All the gifts wrapped and the menu is planned. All of us are healthy! What more could we ask for. Maybe, world peace?

Merry Christams everyone!

We'll be going to SIL's place about an hour and a half away. As usual there will be enough food to feed a regiment. DW will spend so much time talking she will forget to eat enough and then complain she's hungry when we get home. As usual I will have no sympathy for her.

This may be delayed a day or two because of the forecast for freezing rain on Christmas Day.

Some people like to drive around and look at the decorations on homes. One year a friend took us for a night flight in a Cessna 182 a few days before Christmas to do that - that sure put a different perspective on it.

Probably getting stranded at DFW, if we make it that far. The ideal plan is to make it to Nebraska, flying tomorrow night. Thunderstorms and rain at DFW, icy rain at OMA, and then an icy drive to Lincoln. If flights are canceled or we miss the connection, we're looking at heavy snow on Thursday, along with poor prospects to actually get on any flight that may be going.

I thought about driving, in which case we'd have left early this morning to beat the weather. I tried switching to an earlier flight but they are all full. I could show up for the flight that leaves 4 hours earlier to try standby, but I'm doubtful that we'd get on.

Do a formal table setting, meal served in several courses, nice uniform :cool: , etc etc.

This thread is worthless without pictures!

We're going back into the wilds of Northern VA. Christmas with DD and DGD, then a couple days of visiting with various friends and family. Should be as peaceful and pleasant a Christmas as a 3 y.o., very excited little girl will allow. Too much driving, of course, but it will be nice to see all the snow I missed, now that the roads are all clear.

Good luck RunningBum....weather here looks really bad for the next few days. Be careful on I-80 if you get to Nebraska. Can I ask why you didn't fly into Lincoln?

Back
Top Bottom