Retired from self-employment, need insurance

rockydeluz

Confused about dryer sheets
Who planned to retire too early to get Medicare? We never through about it in our 50's. One day we had a business to foot the bill for health insurance, the next it was gone. We need to find a group to join until I turn 65. So far we are keeping our corporation alive with the IRS just so we can still get insurance. Not only is this chancy, but it is expensive.

Not an issue in most countries.

I wonder if the statistics for developed nations would show that early retirement is less common in the USA? If so, I would imagine that health insurance is a major cause, although there are of course other factors to consider such as availability of pensions and various social pressures.

You could maintain a small business with no activity to speak of but still qualify for group health insurance. I have heard of this being done (perhaps on this very board). I have considered it myself. Who knows?

You could maintain a small business with no activity to speak of but still qualify for group health insurance :confused:
I tried that for many years while I was in business and I could never make it work. That was 13 years ago. I decided to find a job that had group insurance. That is where I am now. 2.5 years until Medicare and then I hang it up. Good luck on finding group insurance without going to work with a company that has group. oldtrig

Back
Top Bottom