VWINX vs BERIX

rsingh6675

Recycles dryer sheets
I don't have money in VWINX yet. But I am leaning toward putting some money in BERIX. Does anyone have a better opinion about VWINX vs BERIX?

We have about 30% of our portfolio in Wellesley. Berix is a good fund, but has a higher expense and I believe a lesser quality profile on its bonds.

Looks like BERIX has had a good run but is there any reason to believe that will hold going forward? I think VWINX is a bit more value oriented so expect that will help over time and I (DW, actually) already own it and have no reason to change.

Update.. since 2011, BERIX is CLOSED to OTC investors
Can ck with a FA firm to see if they can get you in..
as are most Berwyn Funds> Closed.
U Could try Using a Mid cap and Bond Fund to get a similar Balanced Port.. MC's> VIMSX, & one's I have are MERDX, DEFIX and whatever Bond fund(s) you like.
Or? Ck out ICMBX> a Multi Cap Balanced Fund..
Hope that helps someone..

BTW...Using a 50/5 in VWINX and BERIX? Past 5 yrs ( ending 2010) ave 7.7% apy vs VWINX alone = about 7% apy..But pays off over a longer Term, like 10 yrs.. VWINX 6.6% vs BERIX's 8.8%

For Post Retirement? Not so sure adding a BERIX or anyother Bal. Fund for that matter, other than just use VWINX as Core and add some Supporting players of mostly Trad. Intermed and Income Bond funds..instead.. Of course, Historically that kind of mix has done well, wether it will for the next 10 yrs remains to be seen, since The Past performance MAY not repeat for the future, But it sure has Rhymed Alot, hasn't it?

Intermed Bonds in my port> MWTRX, TGLMX, DLTNX Income Bonds> FSICX, RPSIX, DODIX.

Back
Top Bottom