Mold and Termite Preventatives for Home Use

samclem

Moderator Emeritus
We've had a number of threads here on home improvement projects and mold. While working on my basement, I have easy access to the rim joist, mud sill, and all the new wood I'll be installing below grade. I (over-) researched the issue and came upon some products for preventing mold and termites. Comments and critiques are solicited.

This BoraCare with Mold Care stuff penetrates into the wood and makes it termite proof. Forever. No re-treatments, etc. In fact, if you spray it on masonry the little devils won't even build their mud-tunnels over it. I'm treating the mud-sill and rim joist, so there will be an anti-termite cordon all around the house isolating the wood from the ground. The chemical that repels/poisons the termites is borate, which is very safe stuff. The anti-mold chemical is something else, much more akin to a regular pesticide. You mix both chemicals with water and one gallon of the concentrate (and a few ounces of the anti-mold stuff) makes enough brew to treat over 300 linear feet of 2x8 lumber. The mix has surfactants and other stuff to help it penetrate, so you only need access to one side of the wood. I'm applying it now (with a regular pump sprayer) and it is going fine, if a little messy. It's not cheap (about $120/gallon), but it goes a long way.

Here's another product of a similar kind (BoraSol PC-Plus). It is a lot less expensive (about 1/4th the price), but I preferred the mold prevention chemical in the more expensive product to the carbamate-based chemical in the cheaper one.

Anyway, these products seem to be a good buy if they keep the termites from eating your home and can prevent mold. Of course, the only effective way to truly prevent mold long term is to keep everything dry, but "water happens" and having something like this in the wood already if you have minor flooding or a burst pipe may keep the mold at bay for a week or so while you dry things out.

Hi Sam,

I use a product called "Timbor". It's a borate product that is fairly inexpensive. I also mix it with warm water and spray it with a pump-up sprayer. It controls mold, mildew, and insects. It's the stuff they spray on log homes to protect them as they are built. It's very safe since it's a borax product.

Shop around on the internet for the cheapest deal and order a case or so. Good for pole barns, basements, etc.
Timbor Insectide and Fungicide

The chemical that repels/poisons the termites is borate, which is very safe stuff. The anti-mold chemical is something else, much more akin to a regular pesticide. You mix both chemicals with water and one gallon of the concentrate (and a few ounces of the anti-mold stuff) makes enough brew to treat over 300 linear feet of 2x8 lumber. The mix has surfactants and other stuff to help it penetrate, so you only need access to one side of the wood. I'm applying it now (with a regular pump sprayer) and it is going fine, if a little messy. It's not cheap (about $120/gallon), but it goes a long way.
I wonder how the $120 expense is split between the borate and the mold killer. Generic boric acid (from a box of Borax) is relatively cheap and we've been using it wherever we expose bare wood.

The biggest component of the total expense of bug-proofing is the labor (and the hassle of exposing/covering the things you're trying to protect) so in your case the guy operating the pump sprayer may be the most cost-effective part of the project.

I think the best termiticide is "winter"!

Thanks for posting about this. We're having termite issues right now and are heading toward tenting the house and treating for some subterranean ones, but could easily put a borax product on anything new that we repair/build. And we also have access to the attic/crawlspace, I wonder if that would be worth spraying. Hmm...

I wonder how the $120 expense is split between the borate and the mold killer. Generic boric acid (from a box of Borax) is relatively cheap and we've been using it wherever we expose bare wood.

A big share of the cost is the anti-mold component. The borate stuff (from the same manufacturer, called just "Boracare") is $75 per gallon. This proprietary goop has surfactants that the mfgr claims allows the solution, carrying the borate, to get deep into the wood. I really don't know if it is any better than the "plain wrap" borate treatments for wood, or just plain old boric acid. But, since I'm only going to have a single chance to get this stuff on the wood, I decided to pay for the name brand stuff.

This preventative termite treatment is apparently becoming a lot more popular. The new, safer, professionally-applied soil treatments for termites just aren't as effective or long-lasting as the old chemicals, and the bait-check-spot treat-bait approach involves less certainty of control and high ongoing costs.

Your mention of boric acid reminds me of another thing I do whenever I get a wall opened up, or pull back the refrigerator or the stove. I sprinkle the boric acid in there like crazy. Cheap, safe, and kills lots of types of bugs forever (as long as it stays dry). We don't have a bug problem, and I don't want one!

This preventative termite treatment is apparently becoming a lot more popular. The new, safer, professionally-applied soil treatments for termites just aren't as effective or long-lasting as the old chemicals, and the bait-check-spot treat-bait approach involves less certainty of control and high ongoing costs.
When termites got into our storage shed, the nest spread itself another 75 feet to the neighbor's back lanai. We discovered this when we told her about our problem and suggested she have her exterminators check their Sentricon bait stations. As we were talking, she saw that they (the termites, not the exterminators) had built a tunnel up the side of one of her plant stands. From there it was just a short tunnel to her house siding.

The termites hadn't even touched her Sentricon stations. Yet she's been paying the monthly service fee for at least eight years.

Our home's concrete slab was built with flexible plastic tubes laid on the ground every 20 feet. The tubes are slit on the bottom and end at the sides of the foundation with capped nozzles. The idea is that every few years the exterminator can fill the tube with Termidor that'll slowly seep into the soil and maintain some protection against the little guys working their way up through cracks. He also sprays the surrounding shrubbery with Termidor, which for some reason knocks our ant population way back for several months.

Our rental home's property was treated with Chlordane in 1978. Never had a termite problem there, probably never will.

Some neighborhoods around Honolulu (like Manoa Valley) had 1940-50ss lots whose topsoil was sprayed with fuel oil and DDT. No termites there either!

In terms of safety, these borax products just can't be beat. I used to do taxidermy work. Years ago, arsenic type compounds were used to preserve the work. Then taxidermy went to borax solutions...and a couple other safe compounds.

For me, I have sprayed the attic, basement, pole barns, and other wood I could reach with the sprayer. Good stuff, fairly cheap and safe around pets, kids, and livestock.

Here's some more info on these borax type solutions for termites, molds, etc...
Rio Tinto Borax : Agriculture : Safety Issues
AllPest Professional Products - Tim-bor Wood Preservative & Insecticide Information

I recommend "20 mule team borax" from walmart witht he laundry stuff...it will do the same thing....for termites

It ALSO is a mold preventative....google borates and mold to find out more. available to homeowners are products like concrobium mold control which is a mildewstat/fungicide and will prevent mold growth (i do believe)- it's not borate based

If it were me...I would saturate with the borax mixture and leave it....many mold control products meant to prevent mold have borate as the main active ingredient

misc notes on termites.

When living in Florida, I was told that if you built your house on pilings surrounded by sand, the termites would leave you alone. Cannot confirm the effectiveness, though.

Up in Fort MacMurry, Alberta (annual average temperature = 0 C / 32 f), I have seen wood foundations. :blink: It may be the only place in the world you could get away with that.

Back
Top Bottom