Florida wins the prize...

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
... for most bizarre wild animal attack.

Rabid otter attacks, mauls man, 96, in Venice

A 96-year-old man was ambushed and mauled by a rabid otter early Friday morning as he walked past brush near a lake in the Venice East neighborhood.
Two men saw the attack and raced to Denton's aid, one striking at the otter with a shovel as the other called 911.
Christopher Janssen, 36, was bitten by the otter but the other rescuer, 53-year-old Raymond Duval was not injured.
The amazing 911 call: O-T-T-E-R!

The otters I've seen in captivity are small and of course pretty tame from contact with humans. However...:cool:
According to Wikipedia, the Northern Otter can grow to 3-4 feet in length and can weigh up to 30 lbs. :eek:
Add claws designed to open shellfish, a hefty case of rabies, and you've got a serious threat. :nonono:

From Otter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northern river otter
The northern river otter (Lontra canadensis) became one of the major animals hunted and trapped for fur in North America after European contact. River otters eat a variety of fish and shellfish, as well as small land mammals and birds. They grow to one metre (3 to 4 ft) in length and weigh from five to fifteen kilograms (10 to 30 lb).

I remember hearing about these vicious animals attacking passers by in the grounds of a park in my home county of Durham about a year ago.

When Squirrels Attack

Staff at a UK hospital have been ordered to wear protective headgear and carry an umbrella as a weapon after aggressive squirrels attacked a district nurse.
The hospital also wants workers to walk in pairs amid fears a rampaging squirrel could knock someone unconscious.
The rodents reportedly struck while the nurse was making a home visit to a farm in Langley Park, County Durham.

How come nobody wants to mention those cute Killer Whales at Sea World?

Back
Top Bottom