Is 15% Enough for you to turn me in to the IRS?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Is a 15% reward enough for you to turn in a loved one?...just askin.

Small–time crooks: The IRS's informant program has been around for more than 140 years. If you suspect a person is committing tax fraud and report it, you could receive up to 15% of the amount that has been underpaid, with a maximum award of $10 million.
Informants are required to complete a claim, which is available on the IRS Web site, and mail it to the agency or call the IRS tip line at 1–800–829–0433. While you must reveal your identity to the IRS, your name will not be made public.

rat-out-a-tax-cheat-collect-a-reward: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I depends upon how "loved" they are.

Is a 15% reward enough for you to turn in a loved one?...just askin.
Hunh... so you can put a price on love!

When spouse signs her 1040, in the "Occupation" block she puts "Innocent spouse".

I coulda (presumably) gotten a 15% reward for turning in my ex-spouse. She failed to report my lump-sum alimony payment like she should have. I had her dead to rights as I had a copy of her tax return (via a divorce action), a copy of my tax return, and a copy of the divorce decree. I thought about it for a long time and decided not to for some reason. I think maybe I was too lazy to be vengeful/justice-seeking.

2Cor521

I coulda (presumably) gotten a 15% reward for turning in my ex-spouse. She failed to report my lump-sum alimony payment like she should have. I had her dead to rights as I had a copy of her tax return (via a divorce action), a copy of my tax return, and a copy of the divorce decree. I thought about it for a long time and decided not to for some reason. I think maybe I was too lazy to be vengeful/justice-seeking.

2Cor521

Hope she stays on your "good-side" because I assume you have seven years from the year of infraction to change your mind and turn her in to the IRS. :whistle:

Just saying...

2Cor521

What's her name? I'm not that lazy...:ROFLMAO:

Amazing that a rule like that could be around for 140 years in view of the fact that the 16th amendment wasn't ratified until 1913.

For 15% of $1,000, no.
For 15% of $10,000, no.
For 15% of $100,000, maybe.
For 15% of $1,000,000, probably.
For 15% of $10,000,000, yes.

Heck, I'd do it for 0%. They oughta pay, if that is the law.

Most of those laws should be changed, but until they are...

-ERD50

Talking to a contractor yesterday ... tells me that he got slapped with an IRS lien for 150k in back payroll taxes. Now it all makes sense ... disgruntled employee looking for an easy buck.

This got me thinking about a different contractor who I paid about 200k cash to (building a home). This one was an idiot ... left me with a mess to cleanup. Wouldn't it be nice to settle the score ... I know he didn't report the cash. Then I read this:

While the names of informants aren't made public, Gagnon said that a person's identity often becomes obvious based on the proof provided.
"Certain records show up and they can figure out where they're coming from," he said.

Something tells me I'ld find cement in my septic system - or worse.

Never mind.

2Cor521
Did you deduct your alimony? Did you put her correct SSN on your return as required? Then the job is done. No reward except the good feeling of "ravange" as Ivana Trump says. IRS will either accuse you of faking alimony payments (got cancelled checks?) or her of not reporting, and probably both.

Did you deduct your alimony? Did you put her correct SSN on your return as required? Then the job is done. No reward except the good feeling of "ravange" as Ivana Trump says. IRS will either accuse you of faking alimony payments (got cancelled checks?) or her of not reporting, and probably both.

Yes, yes, and yes. I don't fear the IRS on this item, I did everything correctly.

At the moment I think the "good feeling of ravange" is over-rated.

2Cor521

Yes, yes, and yes. I don't fear the IRS on this item, I did everything correctly.

At the moment I think the "good feeling of ravange" is over-rated.

2Cor521

I don't know why you see it as revenge of any sort?

Holding someone to their responsibilities is just that. Nothing more. If you were jumping through some legal loopholes to make her technically responsible for something that normally would not be the case unless you went through those extraordinary hoops, then I could see it. But she simply owes the money, right? No if,and,buts?

She failed to report my lump-sum alimony payment like she should have.

That sounds pretty straightforward to me.

PM me the info and I'll do it (I'm only half-joking). I'll donate the 15% to the charity of your choice. It's a win-win, the charity wins, the deficit is reduced, and maybe she will learn a lesson. Getting away with this will embolden her and everyone she tells about it to cheat on their taxes also.

-ERD50

I wonder if the government has any concept of the money lost to underground business deals. Every contractor I have had, has a nicer truck than mine.

Something tells me I'ld find cement in my septic system - or worse.

I thought about reporting a number of businesses I am acquainted with that I have been informed cheat on taxes in a routine way. I don't have any first hand evidence, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to get some. But I'd be afraid of cement boots, not cement in my septic tank, were I to report these businesses and their owners.

For the curious minds, the businesses in question are retail/service oriented and encourage customers to complete cash transactions instead of leave a paper trail with credit card charges. They even have an ATM inside the store to facilitate cash transactions. The cash never goes on the tax books, and employees get paid partly in cash. I have not been informed of this, but I assume that some employees do not have proper documentation to work at these locations. All this is 2nd hand info.

I don't know why you see it as revenge of any sort?

I don't. I was quoting Borbastic.

Holding someone to their responsibilities is just that. Nothing more. If you were jumping through some legal loopholes to make her technically responsible for something that normally would not be the case unless you went through those extraordinary hoops, then I could see it. But she simply owes the money, right? No if,and,buts?

She made a mistake on her return. I don't know, and haven't bothered to figure out, if that would have resulted in additional taxes owed.

Speaking of responsibility, it's her responsibility to report her taxes correctly and the IRS's responsibility to enforce tax laws. It's my responsibility to pay my alimony, child support, and take care of my kids. I've got enough on my plate taking care of my own responsibilities.

That sounds pretty straightforward to me.

If those were the only facts, yes, it is straightforward. Three kids and knowing her for 26 years adds some context that I don't have time to share.

PM me the info and I'll do it (I'm only half-joking). I'll donate the 15% to the charity of your choice. It's a win-win, the charity wins, the deficit is reduced, and maybe she will learn a lesson. Getting away with this will embolden her and everyone she tells about it to cheat on their taxes also.

-ERD50

You're assuming she cheated intentionally. I am not certain that is the case.

2Cor521

You're assuming she cheated intentionally. I am not certain that is the case.

2Cor521

sorry 2Cor521, didn't mean to strike a nerve. I did get the (apparently wrong) impression that she did it intentionally. Intentional tax cheats get on my nerves a bit, so that fed into my response (which was a bit more 'tongue-in-cheek than you interpreted it, but that happens with postings).

Take Care - ERD50

sorry 2Cor521, didn't mean to strike a nerve. I did get the (apparently wrong) impression that she did it intentionally. Intentional tax cheats get on my nerves a bit, so that fed into my response (which was a bit more 'tongue-in-cheek than you interpreted it, but that happens with postings).

Take Care - ERD50

No problem, and no hard feelings.

I was sort of curious myself as I was typing that response..."What am I doing defending the (dubious) honor of my ex-wife?!?" I dunno, I guess I still try to see the best in people even though in her case me doing so has bit me in the rear a number of times.

2Cor521

Back
Top Bottom