Suggestion for Obituary Thread

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
One of the (sadly) reoccurring topics on the forum is a thread about the death of a celebrity or other well-known/notorious person. Unfortunately these things some times happen in rapid succession and some folks miss out on the post - like this.

Would a sticky "Obituary" thread be appropriate in the "Other topics" forum? That way all these notable passings could be consolidated - and as an added benefit, I could check it out every morning to be sure my name isn't listed. :D

If I was a Young Dreamer, thinking about joining or de-lurking, and I saw a thread like that, I'd think this message board was just a bunch of old geezers sitting around waiting to die (so I'd leave).

But then I'm NOT a Young Dreamer. Maybe someone who is can comment one way or another.

Would a sticky "Obituary" thread be appropriate in the "Other topics" forum? That way all these notable passings could be consolidated - and as an added benefit, I could check it out every morning to be sure my name isn't listed. :D
Sure-- that's a much better idea than what I thought the thread title was going to propose...

If I was a Young Dreamer, thinking about joining or de-lurking, and I saw a thread like that, I'd think this message board was just a bunch of old geezers sitting around waiting to die (so I'd leave).
Would it seem less geezerly if we called it "Notices of the Demise of Well-Known Persons" ? :D

Dunno, kinda prefer it random myself. But if you do create a sticky, here's a theme song for it.

Honestly - when I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about "writing your own obituary," where you imagine what you would like to be written about you after you die. It's a way of sketching out a vision for one's own life.

From that perspective, it's a highly appropriate topic for Young Dreamers, since they have so much time to look forward to. I imagine their "obituaries" would have "Retirement" as early as possible, and plenty of "Good Stuff" after that. I would love to read people's "hoped-for" obituaries.

Amethyst

How about some euphemism from astronomy for what happens when a star dies.

Or "Riding off into the Sunset."

How about writing your own epitaph? Here are some famous examples to get us started

"Cast a cold eye
On life, on death.
Horseman, pass by!" -- William Butler Yeats

Yahoo! Image Detail for - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/3007563454_0caa943175.jpg

"Against you I will fling myself
unvanquished and unyielding, O Death!" -- Virginia Woolf

"I told you so, you damned fools." -- H.G. Wells

"If after I depart this vale you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl"
-- H.L. Mencken

"That's all, folks!" -- Mel Blanc
Mel Blanc - Hollywood Forever Cemetary on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Rodney Dangerfield: "There goes the neighborhood"

To me, this is so beautiful. :)

"Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crossed the bar."

- - - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

That's gonna require a big headstone...

Yeah well.... I knew I couldn't fool you. :LOL: Alfred, Lord Tennyson took the easy way out and included it in all of his collections of poems, instead. But if I had been him, I'd have obtained a huge monument and put that on it. :D

It would fit on a New Orleans tomb/monument like one of these....

Attachments

• ElkCemetary01.jpg
    ElkCemetary01.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1
Dang, where is that cartoon of a graveyard with iPads for tombstones or the coffin with the built-in iPad for REW to check the obits?

How about writing your own epitaph?
I've written mine and spouse's for our "If we wake up dead" folder. Properly formatted, of course, for the alumni magazine.

That's gonna require a big headstone...
She's just going to shoot a "Best of..." video and loop it on the headstone's LCD. But I don't know where the subwoofer goes.

Not Dead Yet

Introducing the pre-obituary: a few choice words before you go.

What I propose is “Pre-Obituaries”—official notices that certain people aren’t dead yet accompanied by brief summaries of their lives indicating why we wish they were.

Back
Top Bottom