My 4,000 Post

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't have anything to say.

What do you want to know?

Be my friend?

That's an average of 50 a month (despite your recent sabbatical). Quite impressive.

(After further consideration... I have averaged 80. It must be the quality that has made all the difference.)

How much time are you spending at home base as compared to traveling?

I don't have any firm numbers but I would estimate - 5 months traveling and 7 at home. The again I broke my collar bone twice. since 2006.

I did not know when I retired how much I would like the RV lifestyle. I never did it before.

Knowing what I know now, I would have bought a slightly larger RV (for my equipent) and rented an apartment. Or I may have stored my stuff for awhile. AND, I would have bought the winning Lotto ticket.

If, the housing market was still increasing I would be happy with my decision to buy a town home.

I think the lesson is for those thinking about ER is not to commit yourself for awhile.

Fortunately, the buy/rent issue is not a deal breaker for me. I'm happy with where and what I have.

What took you so long?:cool:

Read the 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" There is a discussion about a dialogue of Socrates. There is discussion about if a key word should be interrpertated as 'Quality' or 'Beauty'. I try for Quality - in many cases, what is needed, not what is wanted.

Sometimes, we need to focus on not what is presented but what is not presented.

When are you going to change your scary avatar? :)

Audrey

I still like it. It is said that when a man grows or takes off a beard he is going through a significant change of some sort. Maybe that same thing applies to avatars.

I still like it. It is said that when a man grows or takes off a beard he is going through a significant change of some sort. Maybe that same thing applies to avatars.
Maybe.

It is also said that an avatar is an expression of one's attitude toward the world.

Perhaps you should think seriously about growing a beard... :)

Read the 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" There is a discussion about a dialogue of Socrates. There is discussion about if a key word should be interrpertated as 'Quality' or 'Beauty'. I try for Quality - in many cases, what is needed, not what is wanted.

Sometimes, we need to focus on not what is presented but what is not presented.

Now if you could elaborate on the concepts of Shibui vs Shibumi. For those that never heard of the them. :) Food for thought.

Open ended question for you: Tell us more about the full-timing lifestyle... do you stay in campgrounds... boondocking... stay in one place a while... I'd like to know more.

Open ended question for you: Tell us more about the full-timing lifestyle... do you stay in campgrounds... boondocking... stay in one place a while... I'd like to know more.

This is my 5th (really?) year doing it and I never did it before I retired. So I got a 17' Casita since I could pull it with the pick up I had. I don't boondock (unless I'm traveling a long distance and I'll sleep overnight in a WalMart or Truck Stop); I don't have a generator and I like some comforts. How long I stay depends upon what I want to do. If I get bored I move on.

I've hit upon a route that works for me that goes something like this.

March - sometime - Santa Fe - sight see, maybe a hike - a few days
March - Moab - a couple of weeks
March/April/May/June - Colorado - 14er cold weather hiking/biking
June - Tetons/Jackson -
July/August - TBD - possible route - California/Nevada/Arizona

People talk about taking the RV to Alaska but I'd rather do that on a cruse.

I really haven't planned past the Tetons. I feel like traveling someplace on a tour where everything is taken care of for you. Maybe a walking tour of Italy??

I can't believe we are both in our 4000s of posts, and I never realized you were a fellow full-timer (or maybe I just forgot). Also completed my 5th year fulltiming a couple of months ago.

Of course my full-timer days are now numbered - any day now we'll have an anchor.

Audrey

As a 6500+ poster, of mostly information-free content...

One of the charms of this board is living [-]precariously[/-] vicariously through others' adventures. I doubt I'll ever have the means to buy a big, honkin' RV, but may very well do a pull-behind, perhaps like RIT's former pop-up, which I could easily pull behind a 1/2-ton pickup. As big RV would require me to sell my house, which would probably preclude ever owning a house again...

Would like to be a part-time road warrior, though, at least in the early years.

I doubt I'll ever have the means to buy a big, honkin' RV, but may very well do a pull-behind, perhaps like RIT's former pop-up, which I could easily pull behind a 1/2-ton pickup. As big RV would require me to sell my house, which would probably preclude ever owning a house again...

Would like to be a part-time road warrior, though, at least in the early years.

(Yeah, I know... a stuck record.) A used Class B RV should be within your means (depending upon how used) and would let you you be free as a bird... not even worrying about dragging a trailer around.

In any event, here is a web site (a Trailer guy) that may get you even more motivated... particularly today's edition:

Mobile Kodgers: FREE TO DO WHAT?

Back
Top Bottom