iPhone 4

I do have one on pre-order. The ordering process was extremely ....annoying.

DH has a 3GS that he bought a few months ago. I wanted to wait for the new ones to come out (I have a Blackberry Storm that I hate). I am still on Verizon and he has the individual ATT account. Two of her kids decided to also buy the iPhones and switch from Verizon as well. Of course we wanted to all be on a family account.

So, DH goes to the Apple store to pre-order on the first day of pre-orders. They kept trying to talk him into doing it online (thank goodness he didn't given all those problems!). Long story short if he ordered there for his account it would come to the store with no name attached to it so the pre-order couldn't be picked up. If he ordered as a new account we might have trouble merging accounts. So....

off he went to the AT&T store. After insisting on ordering there (not wanting to brave the online system that was having massive problems) they finally tell him that all 3 of us who are ordering must be physically present for him to order. So, we drive over there. The sales guy keeps telling DH he can't upgrade. He keeps explaining he doesn't want to upgrade. We are getting 3 new phones to add to his account. By the time we get done the AT&T computer system is down entirely and he is writing it all down and paper. He says that they will be at the store until midnight inputting orders. But he assures us we will have our phones on 6/25.

Of course later that night I find out how messed up the whole process has been. And then pre-orders get shut down altogether. I don't even know if our order ever got inputted.

DH leaves no less than 5 messages trying to find out. He only finally talks to the guy yesterday now know says that we do have our preorders...but no phones until next Tuesday (probably, may be longer). Sigh.

FWIW, I have to toss in a different experience.

We have had two iPhones (each) -- bought the original model several months after it came out, then upgraded to the 3GS model when it came out.

There were a few small problems, which were cleared up with AT&T. First time we did the problem resolution online, talking to several different AT&T people. Second time I took care of it at the local AT&T store.

In all instances, the AT&T people were extremely professional and helpful, and I considered that I had an outstanding customer support experience. Nothing but good to say about them.

Granted, you had a tough time with a difficult situation, but on the whole I think they do a good job. The bonus is that, at least in our area, the AT&T coverage is much better than our old Verizon coverage.

Just out of idle curiousity... what is the big selling point of the iPhone4, as compared with prior iPhones? I can't imagine people going through all that unless there is a good reason.

I plan on upgrading to a smart phone, but will wait several months, maybe until Dec. I like the new Iphone 4. Bigger battery, better screen, tougher glass, maybe better reception. I will also be looking at the new Android phones. Onve advantage android has over Iphone is that there are more manufacturers and therefore new models show up faster.

i'm personally waiting for the iwipe. what's the point of a "smart" phone if it can't take care of simple day-to-day tasks?

From the linked article,
PEOPLE who own the out of date iPhone will be forced to sit at the back of the bus, it emerged last night.

New rules will mean that users of the iPhone 3G or 3GS must occupy the last four rows and if the bus is full and a new iPhone user gets on, the old iPhone user nearest to the door must give up their seat.

The regulations will also apply to municipal swimming pools, where old iPhone users will be allowed in for 20 minutes once a month, and their use of libraries and public lavatories will also be severely restricted.

Meanwhile, as the police warned they would not hestitate to use dogs and fire hoses to quell unrest, across Soho, bars and restaurants have placed signs in their windows stating 'version fours only' and 'no iPhone 3GS, no Irish'.[...]

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I *THOUGHT* it might be something like that... :LOL: But then I am all for bigger batteries which Rustic23 mentioned as one of the other advantages. :)

I'll be getting an iphone 4, but I don't know when. DW wants me to keep the same phone number that I have now, but that number is on my blackberry (company owned). I may want to keep the blackberry until I get work email set up on the Iphone.

My gal is a lefty and notes that the Iphone 4 has a special feature. When used as a phone and held in the left hand it kills reception and becomes unusable. Steve Jobs has addressed that issue: don't hold the phone that way. <wipes hands, shrugs, done.>

For real.

tongue in cheek, but google the problem.
Southpaws up in arms over iPhone 4 • The Register

Tell her to feel the force
6a00d83451c45669e2013484ee2746970c-550wi

DW wants me to keep the same phone number that I have now, but that number is on my blackberry (company owned). I may want to keep the blackberry until I get work email set up on the Iphone.

Google Voice is now open -- you can get one phone number and have it follow you.

The iPhone on Verizon rumor has been circulating for some time. Every time it starts up someone else comes along and says it won't happen. I'm getting tired of waiting and have decided that when my contract is up in August I will go with the new Droid X.

How surprising! Bloomberg.com seems like it should be a reasonably reliable source. This news will certainly tempt some Verizon customers whose contracts have expired.

Come to think of it, I fall in that category... :tongue: :whistle: Unlike Nodak I haven't really been waiting for this and don't even know if I would want an iPhone, but if something like this just falls in my lap I'd at least give it some consideration. A lot depends on the price, naturally. It will probably be way over my idea of what it is worth to me, at first.

Top 11 Other iPhone 4 Issues

11. Voice-cancelling microphone a really bad idea. 10. Notches in side prone to causing tears in rectal tissue. 9. Acclerometer keeps getting stuck on the carpet and runs the phone into walls. 8. It'll explode when thrown at a Pinto. 7. Face-tracking laser burns holes through eyebrows. 6. Keeps texting taunts to iPhone 3GS owners without your knowledge. 5. Touchscreen rubs off toxic levels of smug. 4. Extended battery life comes at the expense of draining your health. 3. Retina display causing burn-in in the back of people's retinas. 2. Oleophobic screen makes breading fall off when trying to deep fry your iPhone. 1. Proximity sensor lets out a loud beeping sound if you start walking backward.

BBspot - Top 11 Other iPhone 4 Issues

For those non IPhone types, the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, will be out on AT&T July 18th. It will be interesting to see if it is as good as the pre-press says it is.

Not sure...I'm torn between the iPhone 4 vs. Android.

Martin Cooper, who invented the cell phone, also prefers Android over the iPhone: "I also have a Droid. I got a Motorola Droid that I use. I also have a Jitterbug. I'm always trying whatever the latest telephone is. I had an iPhone for a while, I gave that to my grandson. Kids are really caught up in that. But I think that the Android phones are catching up now, and the latest version of the Android phones are every bit as good, if not better, than the iPhone".

Inventor of cell phone: We knew someday everybody would have one - CNN.com

I've been with Android since the T-Mobile G1. I just replaced my battery (it's been 22 months). I love Android and I would suggest the Droid X to anyone who thinks the EVO is too big or who can't wait for the DROID 2. My plan is to try and keep my G1 as long as I can, but the Droid X and EVO 4G are wonderful phones.

I love a lot of the simple notepad apps; a lot of games; Google Scoreboard, Google Maps/Navigation, Google Calendar Widget, ShopSavvy, Where, Open Table for reservations (it feels good reserving a table with a few button presses). Syncing my gmail contacs back and forth between GMAIL automatically is also really nice.

Coupled with a Chumby on the night stand; I feel all futuristic :)

Martin Cooper, who invented the cell phone....

I have to laugh/cry every time I read that Marty Cooper 'invented the cell phone', or the 'portable cell phone'.

Complex products like that are 'developed', not 'invented' and certainly not by a single person. Bell Labs was working on the concepts decades before the technology was even feasible, because they knew that one day the technology would be there, so they started planning/researching for that day.

I think a PR machine just wanted to have a name to associate with the device so that someone was the 'face' of the product to the public.

The first paragraph in wiki has it about right I'd say (bold mine):

... who in the 1970s led the team that developed the handheld mobile phone

But later they say:
Cooper is considered the inventor of the first handheld cellular phone

Well, he may be 'considered' the inventor, but I think the first statement is more accurate.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom