Dinner/investments

I'd love to be there and see an investment pro go at it with the speakers..good one! That one I'd go to for the entertainment value alone.

Most I've gone to don't allow Q&A . I've been to one that did and it was not pretty......think of 5 or 6 pit bulls beating up on something. I actually felt sorry for the speaker..........doubt if he allowed Q&A in the future.

If you're married, take your spouse along as a learning experience so you can be the vaccine for avoiding something that might happen to them after you're gone.
Now that's an interesting idea. I've got the Princess fairly well-trained to spot scams, and there are plenty of examples in this world to help in that, but maybe she needs to meet some these people in real life so she can see how tricksy they are.

I say "take her," Leonidas. Most women--and I R one so I've talked to many--have no clue about what's going on outside their little sphere of interest...particularly if they have been housewives. And, frankly, I say that with some sadness....

I do not have time now, but when I get to ESR I would go to at least one at a nice enough restaurant. Since I am an investment professional well aware of how most of the more complicated products work, I suspect they would throw me bodily after the third or fourth comment.

You would be classified as a "know-it-all plate licker".........:LOL::LOL:

I do not have time now, but when I get to ESR I would go to at least one at a nice enough restaurant. Since I am an investment professional well aware of how most of the more complicated products work, I suspect they would throw me bodily after the third or fourth comment.

Heck...I'd be willing to pay for the meal just to listen in on that exchange. :LOL:

I say "take her," Leonidas. Most women--and I R one so I've talked to many--have no clue about what's going on outside their little sphere of interest...particularly if they have been housewives. And, frankly, I say that with some sadness....
I understand perfectly - especially the sadness. My wife, who was commercially successful as an artist in her teens, and was a banker when we married, basically turned over the family financial responsibilities to me after the kids came along.

That was against my wishes, but I just couldn't get her interested in the subject. Can't say that I blame her - if there was someone I really trusted to handle my finances I would love to let them take it off my hands in a moment.

Now that the kids are grown she's starting to come back around a bit and has expressed an interest in learning. It has been a small blessing mixed in with tragedy that her father's death last year has resulted in her receiving a decent bit of money to invest on her own. She's been forced to stretch herself a little in the education process - something that I've helped along as best I could.

So, in a timely manner, tonight's mail included an invitation for a seminar on IRA and 401(k) laws and strategies on distributions and investments. Since she is inheriting an IRA and a 401(k), I recognized a good opportunity. It's at a middling-decent steakhouse that I crossed off my personal list years ago, but it's really close to the house, and for free it can't be that horrible.

She liked the idea and had only one question: "Are you hoping that the education is on IRAs and 401s, or how to pick apart the sales pitch for a bad investment?"

I told her that I hoped for both.

My desire is that this will be something to really fire up her interest. But I'm also looking to put a little scare into her, to get her serious about what she needs to learn. Not to the point that she's afraid of dealing with anyone in the financial industry, but to help her use knowledge to develop the self-confidence to say "no thanks" to a bad deal.

Anyway, there are three available dates in the middle of next month and she's going to take care of getting us registered. I will report back sometime later about our experience for all to enjoy.

I'd love to be there and see an investment pro go at it with the speakers..good one! That one I'd go to for the entertainment value alone.
As for me, these invitations end up in file 13/aka the garbage. I bore too easily.

Come up to Milwaukee, I go to 2-3 a year.........:D

Got an interesting first-time offer in the mail yesterday that has some quantitative data and shows where the "opportunity" is for "them" and the danger for you. Refer a friend to come in for a free consultation and receive a free $100 gift card to various restaurants or Nordstrom. They'll even make it effortless by going to their home. Or even refer yourself.
Only stipulation is that the account being reviewed must be at least $30K.

Perhaps to increase the yield? Save on the free public dinners and get you to supply the raw material for their mill. I think they much prefer to deal with individuals than groups much as lions and other predators have better success when they can isolate potential prey from the herd/school.

You should be perfectly safe at the public dinners but be careful about the free consultations afterwards.

Now that the kids are grown she's starting to come back around a bit and has expressed an interest in learning. It has been a small blessing mixed in with tragedy that her father's death last year has resulted in her receiving a decent bit of money to invest on her own. She's been forced to stretch herself a little in the education process - something that I've helped along as best I could.

There are lots of simple investment books geared for women or if she does not like to read a lot of commuity colleges run investing courses for women . I did both when I was first learning.

There are also lots of in-home classes you take on the computer from community colleges that are good on ed2go.com. I've taken 3 so far on a wide variety of different subjects, and really enjoyed them. While the class is going you can post questions all you want to the professor. I think they are worth the time, anyway...and really cheap to take (like -$100).

You go to them, FinanceDude, or you put them on? I'd love to see you speak and hear what you have to teach.:angel:

Go to them..........always interesting. Plus, anyone who buys a list so bad that they mail to FAs deserve my presence.........:)

Go to them..........always interesting. Plus, anyone who buys a list so bad that they mail to FAs deserve my presence.........:)

Haahahahaha. I am sure they are quite entertaining.

You all have pointed out things I didn't realize.
Number one in my mind is they may have a representative sitting at our table.:( That could make it very unenjoyable. I didn't think they would get that up close and personal. I was thinking more of eating, listening to their BS and slipping out the back. ;) I guess they have had that pulled to many times. So now they corner you.
Do lines like, my money is tied up right now, I'll get back to you later work?
Or maybe, I'm not working right now, you probably better go after somebody that a has a dollar or two. :LOL:
I'm sure if I decide to try it, I'll think of some kind of song and dance for them. They may have heard it before but who cares.
Steve

PS. I'm the kind of person that loves to piss off the car dealer folks.
Nothing I like better than wheeling and dealing with them, especially when I really don't care if I buy a car or not. They don't know how to handle that kind of play. The last time I played the game I walked out over three hundred dollars that we were apart. By this time the manager of the dealer ship (the guy who appeared on their TV commercials) was following me out in the parking lot begging. He finally said to me, you are enjoying this way to much. I just smiled and kept walking. He then said, I can't believe you are walking out over 3 hundred bucks. My reply was, I can't believe you are allowing me to walk, the ball is in your court. My Wife was with me, she said you know that was fun. If we get bored in retirement we'll just go harass car dealers. Kind of a pay back for all the BS when we really needed a car (younger days) and got jerked around.:LOL:
Anyway, I figure I can eat and escape without being harmed !!!

Good luck fending off the wolves Steve.

To me, attending one of those dinners voluntarily would be the equivalent of giving myself a root canal just to pass time...:)

PS. I'm the kind of person that loves to piss off the car dealer folks.
Nothing I like better than wheeling and dealing with them, especially when I really don't care if I buy a car or not. They don't know how to handle that kind of play. The last time I played the game I walked out over three hundred dollars that we were apart. By this time the manager of the dealer ship (the guy who appeared on their TV commercials) was following me out in the parking lot begging. He finally said to me, you are enjoying this way to much. I just smiled and kept walking. He then said, I can't believe you are walking out over 3 hundred bucks. My reply was, I can't believe you are allowing me to walk, the ball is in your court. My Wife was with me, she said you know that was fun. If we get bored in retirement we'll just go harass car dealers. Kind of a pay back for all the BS when we really needed a car (younger days) and got jerked around.:LOL:

How many dealerships have thrown you out? :LOL::LOL:

Steve,

So, when the salesperson is up close in you seated at your table, I think the proper response to him/her would be, "Hey, can you pass the croutons? Hmmm...this salad is good, isn't it?" :LOL:

I used to do seminars, but I never bought dinner. The "Smart Women Finish Rich" seminar by David Bach. That was 10 years ago. We used to have wine and snacks at an Italian restaurant. I think the reason a lot of them came was that a man was giving a talk on financial literacy for women, and they wanted to give me a hard time.

I did it for about 3 years, and it worked well. The big point of the seminar was about using the workbook to get your fianances organized. You would be amazed at how many marrried women control the MONEY ina household, but NOT the finances..........:(

I used to do seminars, but I never bought dinner. The "Smart Women Finish Rich" seminar by David Bach. That was 10 years ago. We used to have wine and snacks at an Italian restaurant. I think the reason a lot of them came was that a man was giving a talk on financial literacy for women, and they wanted to give me a hard time.

/QUOTE]

I think most of them (at least my friends ) would have been there for the wine & snacks !:)

Good luck fending off the wolves Steve.

To me, attending one of those dinners voluntarily would be the equivalent of giving myself a root canal just to pass time...:)

Not sure if I will sign up Butt.....
If I do by the time the meeting is over I'll have the representatives converted to Vanguard index funds and buying me drinks :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Come on now, let an old retired guy have a little/short Ego trip !!!
I don't have many hormones or much testosterone left at this point.

PS.This made me wonder where the heck is UncleMick ?

Steve,

So, when the salesperson is up close in you seated at your table, I think the proper response to him/her would be, "Hey, can you pass the croutons? Hmmm...this salad is good, isn't it?" :LOL:

I like the way you think !!! :cool:

You all have pointed out things I didn't realize.
Number one in my mind is they may have a representative sitting at our table.:(

I mentioned that but it's pretty unusual in my experience.....only seen it once.
It still would be good to pre-think your exit strategy tho.......there's always
"I'll get back to you".

These financial talks are like going swimming in a shark tank to me. The shark better get that talk loaded with exciting information or he's going to get just diners there and then he'll be: :blush::(:mad::mad:

I'll bet FinanceDude's talks drew some good clients as he hit a specific group that hadn't been tapped into and drained all that much at the time I suspect. Women would love these types of talks IF they were slanted towards women's needs. As a woman, I think alot of us feel ignored when it comes to the financial world doling out information. Just IMHO.

This is turning out to be a different kind of adventure than I was expecting. My expectations were that whoever was behind the invite would be something/somebody well-known and easily identifiable. Instead, it's starting to smell like a con game. I might be wrong, but I'm going to drop by Wal-Mart tomorrow and buy a ten-dollar burner to use when communicating with these people. They already have my name and address (the how of which I would like to learn more about), but I'll be damned if I'm going to give them a real telephone number.

More on why I think this might be a scam in later posts. For the moment, here is a copy of the invitation with location info removed. I also removed the name of the individual/company involved, at least until I know more about this deal.

Note that the sender is a licensed insurance agent, and that agents/brokers are not permitted.

Attachments

• IMG_0002fxd.jpg
    IMG_0002fxd.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom