IKEA Kitchen Cabinets

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Completely re-doing the kitchen is on the list of things to do...and it's finally getting closer (within the next 12 mos). We were at IKEA, and I fell in love with many of the features in their kitchen drawer/cabinet systems. Internet searches bring up a myriad of opinions. Consumer Reports seems to like them, as do many customers. I think the more traditional-minded consumer would not even entertain the idea. However, it sounds like many higher end features (drawers, dividers, better sliding hardware, etc) are standard in the IKEA products. I also gather there could be a substantial savings for going this route.

Do you or anyone you know have IKEA kitchen cabinets, and what is your/their opinons?

I have some IKEA furniture and am impressed with the durability. I would not hesitate to use their cabinetry. There is a new store in Charlotte that I'm dying to go to, if for no other reason than it is so cool to wander around in their stores.

Are you okay putting stuff together? They require a lot of assembly.

Yep, I'm the assembly goddess! SO is the assembly muscle ;)

My son & wife used them, husband & I installed them. The engineering is great. They purchased IKEA's double sink with integrated drain board, I highly recommend it.

Remember that you will be forced to use the dimensions they offer so be prepared for filler strips as necessary. Don't count on them having the same design for a long time, for example if you are thinking of adding a crown buy it all at the same time. Don't buy the units until you are ready to install them for that reason.

You won't escape some finish work, for example at the toe board your flooring may not be perfectly flat.

Invest in a long & medium length levels and use them as you put it together. It is difficult to turn those leveling feet after you have installed adjacent cabinets. Check, check, and double check the hanging bars for the upper cabinets.

The installation instructions are available as pdf files on their website. Read them so that you know what you are getting into.

i'm curious how these hold up long term (>10 years). every ikea piece of furniture i have seen has fallen apart within 2 years. i shy away from them. i've heard they have gotten better over time...we have friends who rent an apartment with an ikea kitchen...they have no real complaints. they're in year 2.

personally, we've been shopping cabinets for a new office and entertainment center. ikea is not on our list of manufacturers. of course, my dad works for a major cabinet company, and i can pickup top of the line cabinets (from many brands since they are mostly owned by a couple of companies) with all the gizmos at less than 25% of list.

i'm curious how these hold up long term (>10 years). every ikea piece of furniture i have seen has fallen apart within 2 years. i shy away from them. i've heard they have gotten better over time...we have friends who rent an apartment with an ikea kitchen...they have no real complaints. they're in year 2.

I would worry about particle board and fibreboard long term in a humid environment such as a kitchen. Also, I just like hardwood panel doors, dovetail joints, etc. You likely will be living with it for a long time.

Ha

I would worry about particle board and fibreboard long term in a humid environment such as a kitchen. Also, I just like hardwood panel doors, dovetail joints, etc. You likely will be living with it for a long time.

Ha

Some of the styles are particle board and some are solid wood or wood frame with veneered center panel. I plan to use IKEA cabinets when I build my house and will surely opt for the wood or wood + veneer over the particle board.

While we are on the topic has anyone experience of the freestanding cabinet styles? Varde I think is the birch one, and there is another in darker wood, the name of which escapes me for the moment. I think I could run into problems trying to install ordinary top cabinets on a bale wall—there are no studs to attach the hanging rail to.

They are popular all over Europe. Some of our friends have them since years and still are quite happy. They even moved with their kitchen several times.
If you put them together it makes sense to do it really carefull and maybe use additional glue.

My daughter has a free standing cabinet island in her home. She opted for a 'stressed' look anticipating that it would take a beating from the kids. Wise decision.

Hi,

I think Ikea kitchens are great value if you like their style and can work with their standard sizes. I have done two Ikea kitchens in the past three years (modern Nexus birch with some Rubrik white and Abstract red doors and a v.simple more traditional Adel medium brown). Great advice above - quality varies in Ikea - Nexus birch has withstood 3 teenagers v. well.

IKEA FANS | THE IKEA Fan Community is a wonderful resource... for slight mods like pull-outs under the sink for trash. I also used their idea to include a huge recycling container.

IKEA Kitchen Remodel - a set on Flickr is my favorite Ikea kitchen... and house.

With the saving from the cabinets, I could include a Franke ORX-110 Sink - I love the design - removable rack "below" site level.

You probably know Ikea have a little kitchen planner program which is wonderful for mixing and matching their standard sizes. Sorry I can't help w your mounting question, but would ask an Ikea installer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom