America's Got Talent: Michael Grimm, singer

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Normally I hate talent shows, but I actually find this one enjoyable. If nothing else, I've seen acts on there that I have never seen before and probably won't see again...and there are some doozies.
But, if anyone is watching this show, have they heard this Michael Grimm sing? Is it just me or is this guy great? I love his voice totally and, as proof, actually would buy some of his albums.
I understand he's been playing Vegas up and down the bars there. When I go there this year, I am hoping he's there still. I'm sold, sold, sold on this guy's voice:

Dailymotion - America's Got Talent _ Week 15: Michael Grimm - a Film & TV video

He is very good. Surprised he wasn't on Idol.

He is very, very good! America's Got Talent has an interesting season this year. Best ever in the show's history I think.

He is very good. Surprised he wasn't on Idol.

Yes, he definitely picked the wrong venue to compete in. American Idol would have eliminated his biggest competion right off the bat -- Jackie Evancho (too young) and Prince Poppycock (not mainstream). In any event, Jackie and Poppycock are better singers technically. Now having said that, I believe he will come in third.

One thing to keep in mind is that the members of the "Final 10" in AGT have "made it." A Talent Agent of any competence will make them a commercial success... particularly this year. I, also must add, that there were a couple of earlier eliminated acts that in a normal year would still be in the race -- they, too, will enjoy "success."

I agree that this is by far the best year AGT has ever had.

And I hope Grimm becomes a huge star. I, personally, love his style and sound as I said before. My kinda music totally.

His phrasing, style, and intonation is a carbon copy of the original recording down by Al Green. Only his color is different.

Ha

AGT is a show I only "watch" via social media like this Forum or Facebook. So I was familar with Jackie, but had to Google Prince Poppycock.

Yes, he definitely picked the wrong venue to compete in. American Idol would have eliminated his biggest competion right off the bat -- Jackie Evancho (too young) and Prince Poppycock (not mainstream). In any event, Jackie and Poppycock are better singers technically. Now having said that, I believe he will come in third.

One thing to keep in mind is that the members of the "Final 10" in AGT have "made it." A Talent Agent of any competence will make them a commercial success... particularly this year. I, also must add, that there were a couple of earlier eliminated acts that in a normal year would still be in the race -- they, too, will enjoy "success."

Like Alice Tan Ridley? I am still unhappy they the judges left her out. I understand they want variety in the finals - and there are always too many singers - but she was much better (imo) than others that made the finals.

I agree with everyone else. I have been watching this for a few years and this year definitely had a better top 10/11 than any other year...and I think any of the final 4 could win.

Alice Tan Ridley is excellent no doubt. And how did those two sisters get to the top 10, which is ridiculous to me. They're good but not that good.

Haha, Michael Grimm did imitate Al Green, but you have to listen to his interpretation on his other songs that he definitely makes his own. He's really exceptionally talented.

Here, HAHA, is a variety of his work:

The prediction is the little girl, Jackie Evancho, will win hands down. The Las Vegas bets are that Grimm comes in 4th of the top 4, but he'll go on to be a star anyway I'm sure.

I just cannot believe how mature and sweet that 10 year old is, tho. She is a very unusual child and mature beyond her years I think. This is the kind of kid I didn't want to play with, tho. You can be "too good and too perfect" to other kids. And I was more of a tomboy type when young and climbing trees...before I discovered boys that is..ha!

Haha, Michael Grimm did imitate Al Green, but you have to listen to his interpretation on his other songs that he definitely makes his own. He's really exceptionally talented.

Here, HAHA, is a variety of his work:

Look out, Orchid is in love! :)

Hey, white boys have been copying black singers and taking it to the bank at least since the 30s- why should it stop now?

Ha

I was tremendously impressed the first time I saw Grimm on the show. Exceptional! I said the same thing about buying an album too (not something I have done in a long time). All the other contestants are great as well and should go on to be successful. I get the biggest kick out of Prince Poppycock who is amazingly talented and outrageous - just the kind of entertainment that I would think go over well in Las Vegas.

I get the biggest kick out of Prince Poppycock who is amazingly talented and outrageous - just the kind of entertainment that I would think go over well in Las Vegas.

Me too. And underneath all the make up, wigs, and costumes he's a babe. ;) Yeah, I know I'm not his type but a girl can look and admire, right? :D

I punched this up on YouTube to hear Joe Cocker's version of "You Can Leave your Hat On" song to compare with Michael Grimm's, and all I could think of when I watched this is how hot Mickey Rourke used to be ...good gosh, man, what did you ever do to your face:confused:

YouTube - Joe Cocker - You Can Leave Your Hat On

Off subject, but if you want to convince someone not to have plastic surgery...or get into boxing...

I punched this up on YouTube to hear Joe Cocker's version of "You Can Leave your Hat On" song to compare with Michael Grimm's, and all I could think of when I watched this is how hot Mickey Rourke used to be ...good gosh, man, what did you ever do to your face:confused:

Off subject, but if you want to convince someone not to have plastic surgery...or get into boxing...

I thought he was the hottest thing in Rumble Fish and 9 1/2 Weeks. You are so right. What happened?

This happened....:(
mickey rourke - Google Search

I think he went to an unlicensed physician from South America who shot him up with commercial grade silicone. This same physician also did Priscilla Presley. He should be shot.

Orchid, I hope you're watching the final performances right now!

Jackie will win just because of the YouTube voters imho. She great but is the antithesis of the Vegas show! Prince Poppycock is a shoo-in for his own show there no matter if he wins or loses.

I can't believe Piers gave Poppycock the big buzzer. What a tool. Not looking forward to seeing him take over for Larry.

I can't believe Piers gave Poppycock the big buzzer. What a tool. Not looking forward to seeing him take over for Larry.

Yeah, I dont think buzzing any of the final four is justified, but I was also a little disappointed with Poppycock tonight. He is supposed to be fun (or at least in my mind he is). He wasnt "fun" tonight. He was good - but not fun.

With that said, I can't help but feel that Piers went in with the mindset that he was going to do whatever he could to help Jackie win so he could say he discovered her.....

YouTube - Joe Cocker - You Can Leave Your Hat On

FWIW - Micheal Grimm was very closely imitating Tom Jones 1997 version of "You Can Leave Your Hat On" featured in the film The Full Monty. Much older Tom Jones way outbelts anyone else on this one IMO regardless of what surgical needs his face may have.
YouTube - The Full Monty (Tom Jones) - You Can Leave Your Hat On

(I posted this version on the most passionate songs thread today - that's how I found out who Michael Grimm is today).

Audrey

But, if anyone is watching this show, have they heard this Michael Grimm sing? Is it just me or is this guy great? I love his voice totally and, as proof, actually would buy some of his albums.
I understand he's been playing Vegas up and down the bars there. When I go there this year, I am hoping he's there still. I'm sold, sold, sold on this guy's voice:

He won Orchidflower! Big shocker:D

I sort of watched the finale tonight. Realistically, what kind of Vegas show could 11 year old girl put on. I can imagine buying some tunes from Jackie, but going to see her in Vegas no way. Michael on the other hand I would go see.

This, like American Idol, is a popularity contest. It was not 'Vote for the person that would do the best Vegas Show'. If it were Poppy would have won. Pure talent, Jackie. Popular Michael. How many 16 year old girls voted for Jackie? I doubt many.

Personally, I just don't think Grimm won all that much on his looks. He's cute...but fragile looking. Certainly no buff, macho dude for sure. I don't think most women would lust over him like they did--ok, I did I'll admit it--for Tom Jones when he was young and had his tv show. I think Grimm just has a great, great voice.
I did make a point to listen to all the YouTube people I could find singing "You Can Leave your Hat On" to see how I would rate him. Here's where audrey1 and I disagree, cause I still think Grimm out-sings everyone else on this song...and that's why God invented chocolate and vanilla. Different view..no biggie.
I'd definitely pay to see Grimm. I wouldn't pay to see Evancho even tho she has a spectacular voice and is the sweetest girl I've seen in ages. Prince Poppycock, I agree, would put on a show with a capital S. All 3 should become big, big stars...I hope.
Just IMHO...surely many others disagree with me.

Just IMHO...surely many others disagree with me.

Well, As I have to remind Brenda when she gets too emotionally involved in, for example, a L&O/CSI episode: "It's just a show." You must suspend belief just as you must do when reading a book of fiction (Belle Lettes)... That's Entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom