FIRE--one year

FIYes

Full time employment: Posting here.
Someone recently pointed out to me that had been retired for one year---my reaction was "no, it has not been a year yet." But guess what--time flies when you are having fun and it has been a year.

As a longtime lurker but seldom poster, I thought the I would report in on year one. In pre-FIRE days I always liked to hear how life was on the "other side" and see if some of my concerns were addressed.

How long did it take me to adjust to FIRE? Not sure since I didn't time how long it took me to walk from cube to my car---but as I recall I was parked pretty close to the door that day. Well, that may sound a little sarcastic, but truly it has not been an adjustment for me. There was a time a or two when someone asked my what my occupation was that it felt a little strange to reply "retired" and the first time or two it felt a little strange to list it on forms, but really it has been a VERY easy adjustment.

Money---that has worked out as I expected. I think that like many on this board I had a very good handle on expenses and could realistically predict what I needed to retire. The one expense that has been a little less than I expected is gasoline. I figured I would spend about what I spent while working since I had a short commute and knew that I wouldn't want to sit at home every day. Well, I drive as much as I want, but I guess that I hadn't factored in that some of the errands and pleasure driving that I do now, I was also doing pre-FIRE (especially the errands).

Boredom---hasn't happened. Life is interesting!! There is much that I want to do and to learn. What to do all day is just NOT a problem.

Volunteering---I have done some and continue to volunteer some, but I am jealous of my time so I don't want to get too tied up.

Health---I have been able to pick up a twice weekly yoga class and that is good for me both physically and mentally. My weight is the same (good) as pre-FIRE, but I do have the temptation of constant access to a kitchen full of good food and plenty of time to cook.

Travel--I have taken two long trips in the USA---one by air and one driving---and one overseas trip. I plan to continue to travel and love not needing to rush back or to worry about what was piling up at the office.

Settling in---as I settle into FIRE one phase I am starting to miss is the Sunday evening euphoria. Remember that nagging Sunday evening dread when you realized all the stuff you planned to get done around the house on the weekend is not done and all the stuff you need to do at the office next week is looming? Well, for the first six months of FIRE, about the time that the Sunday evening dread used to hit I would get Sunday evening euphoria realizing that I didn't have to go to w*rk on Monday and weekends were no longer crammed with laundry and household chores. Now that FIRE is the normal, the Sunday evening euphoria doesn't hit like it did the first few months.

This is a very long post---but hey, it has been a YEAR!!!

Great post! Thank you for your insight! Looking forward to Sunday pm euphoria!

Thanks for the post. I second the part about gasoline. I've found that I drive a lot more now than before retired.

One of the nice things about retired is driving as much as I want to. Also, whenever I want too. It's really helps the drive to pick my hours to avoid rush hours.

Thanks

Great post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Like you, I have a bit of a problem saying "I'm retired" when someone asks. I retired in August at the age of 50. I can see the "asker's" wheels turning in their heads - and then I get a bit of a guilty feeling. The means to retire early were given to me (us) by years of hard work and sacrifices - and of course, being blessed along the way. Still I hesitate everytime someone asks me what I do.

Those of us middle aged dreamers appreciate your summary of life after FIRE. Thanks for your thoughts and sharing of the experience!

Thanks for the perspective! I've got just over 2 weeks under my belt and love the Sunday evening euphoria (although I hadn't put a name to it until now!). Ditto KanDo - feels very odd and a little guilty to say I'm "retired" at 53.

4 months here and all that sounds familiar. I too feel a little weird say, "I'm retired". A great post. I love to hear about others experiences.

Congratulations ! Today I looked at some data and I am nearing my forth year in retirement . I've whipped my house in shape by writing lists and letting SO make the list happen . I've lost weight and gained friends and learned that the only reason to get up before 8:30 is an early flight . Enjoy the journey !

Thanks. I've been ER'd for about 4 years and still experience that great feeling on Sunday afternoon. When I was working I would hate the fact that we had to drive back to the city from our cottage so we could work Monday morning. No such drive is required now and I love it.

How long did it take me to adjust to FIRE? Not sure since I didn't time how long it took me to walk from cube to my car---but as I recall I was parked pretty close to the door that day.

:D Love this. Wishing you many more happy days.

I'm going on 1.5 years now. The first month was a flurry of activity doing all the pent up things I didn't have the time or energy for when I was working. It was also a strange feeling breaking the habit of going to work. Prior to RE I was wondering if I'd miss my work and how often I would be thinking about it later on. The answer is 4 times.

Since then I have simply adopted to doing things whenever I feel most like doing them; I don't follow a schedule anymore. I have always been working on a few different projects. Not going to work every day just means I have one project less and I have a lot more time for the other ones.

Oh yeah, and I can take a nap whenever I want :)

My main issue, being a little younger than the average "retire", is that I still feel like I can't adequately say that "I'm retired" when people ask. It's like how it used to feel like wearing a suit when I was younger---it's something older people do. Instead I say I'm a writer (one of my projects) and if they ask me how one makes money doing that, I say I saved a lot of money when I was working. That way I don't have to go into that whole financial independence and passive income explanation. I did that initially, but I've found that many people are financially illiterate and this way is easier on everybody.

My main issue, being a little younger than average, is that I still feel like I can't adequately say that "I'm retired" when people ask. It's like how it used to feel like wearing a suit when I was younger---it's something older people do.

Ummm...."older people".....:confused:

I love Statler and Waldorf. But they used to scare me when I was a younger ;-)

Congratulations, and thanks for checking in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom