Lunar Eclipse

I'm sure hoping that the weather clears up, but I suspect we have another two days of this rain.

Same with us; we're on the other end of the Pineapple Express.

I'm hoping to see it, but the weather report for Cupertino has early showers and partial clouds so I may be out of luck...

The lunar eclipse and the winter solstice haven't coincided for 456 years. It snows every year. Does it HAVE to snow tonight? I guess it does.

Calling for cloudy periods here. Supposed to start about 1:30 AM and be total at 2:40.

Looks like we will have cloud cover here also. Bummer. Though lunar eclipses never seem to be all that dramatic, but I'd still like to check it out. Had very clear skies here two nights ago as the moon was approaching full phase. I just love the look of moonlight on snow covered ground. Everything has a slight blueish tint to it. So peaceful.

-ERD50

I will be snoring loudly and deep into REM sleep when the eclipse occurs.

I think it is a really cool thing, but I have seen eclipses before and am already so, so sleepy. ;) Besides, it is cloudy here.

Eclipses are so magical but so is snow, snow, snow.

Maybe I'll set the alarm anyway in case the snow stops by then and the clouds are dispersed.

Eclipses are so magical but so is snow, snow, snow.

Maybe I'll set the alarm anyway in case the snow stops by then and the clouds are dispersed.

I am disappointed that the snow will likely block the eclipse, but....

WOW - this is really pretty, magical snow we are getting in N IL! It is absolutely gorgeous outside! I LOVE snow!!!!!!

Christmas carols are on the sound system ( my playlist is 1 day 23 hours and 32 minutes of Christmas songs!), we had a great dinner, a bottle of wine (and I snuck a pint of my home-brew stout before dinner). Kids are baking Christmas cookies - it doesn't get much better than this.

Let it snow!

-ERD50

Caught a few glimpses through high clouds. The clouds cleared before dawn and the moon on the snow was beautiful.

The sky was clear and I was up at 3am (East coast) to see it (it's good to be retired and being able to sleep during the day, if needed).

Anyway, it looked the same as I had seen in the past, but still an interesting viewable event. The only thing about this one was the timing of the season. A lot of people have lived/died since the last, and I expect that we'll all be gone - at least most of us :LOL: for the next one (in 2094), falling on the Winter solstice.

Perfectly clear night here and a beautiful view from 3am to 3:20am--that is as long as we and the dogs lasted on such a cold night. The stars were so bright with the moon darkened like that. Very nifty to see, especially with it coinciding with the solstice.

It was partly cloudy up until 12:30 PM, so I got to see the full uneclipsed moon through some nice wide openings in the clouds. :cool:
The clouds spread out and all I could see was a very faint outline of the moon behind them. Bummer! :(
I went to bed at 1:45 AM.
I'll go to the NASA site later on to watch video coverage.

Cloudy here also... but wife and I went out to take a look... I was walking back in when she said "there it is".... I walked back out and the clouds already covered it up again...

But, waited a few minutes and another hole came... saw it with about half eclipsed (on the exit side of the eclipse)... went back to bed...

Had planned to do a 'big deal' with the kids and our telescope and binoculars.... but it was a dud....

I stuck my head out the door at 11:30 or so, but it was completely overcast & no moon to be seen, so I went to bed. Probably better that way. I'd have been completely useless today if I'd stayed up to watch it.

NASA has not posted a video of the eclipse yet. I went here
NASA - Multimedia - Video Gallery

and searched on "lunar eclipse dec 2010". No luck so far. :(

I did find a still photo here
NASA - Image of the the Day - Gallery

506923main_image_1826_428-321.jpg

For future reference, Slooh the online Space Camera is out there for all of us to enjoy.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1095...unar-eclipse-through-sky-in-google-earth.html

We got up around 12:40 a.m. and headed out to the backyard. There were a few thin clouds but they quickly floated by. The temps were in the 60's, a slight breeze was blowing and it was so quiet.

There's just something about star gazing....it makes me feel small, yet oh so peaceful. I'm glad I was able to experience it. It's going to make a nice memory. :)

Back
Top Bottom