GEICO: does anyone use them for umbrella insurance?

wilkens21

Recycles dryer sheets
Just curious. I know a lot of ppl use them for auto insurance, but what about umbrella (ie: including the home, etc) what your experiences are with them to cover that? Or should I go with someone else to get umbrella?

I use GEICO right now for my car, but am a bit nervous to ask them to cover my home just because I know it's not their speciality. There was massive damage to one of the properties right next door to me last week (pipe exploded), so I'm definitely looking again at my policy numbers... :)

As far as I know, GEICO does not write homeowners at all, so I do not believe you can buy it from them. I have used them for umbrella in the past, but for the last few years the companies that have provided my homeowners policies have been significantly cheaper for umbrella than GEICO. YMMV, but I would at least get their quote.

Geez what will they think of next !

I have decided if my umbrella gets damaged I'll just buy a new one. I don't need to insure my umbrella from damage.

I have my auto policy with them and also an umbrella policy. I've been very pleased with the umbrella end, they actually answer the phone. No claims as of yet so it's hard to judge but no claims is good, no?

Wilkens,
Geico technically doesn't write homeowners or umbrella insurance, but do provide it via Traveller's. I have my auto with Geico and an umbrella purchased through Geico but written by Traveller's. I was extremely satisfied in their handling of my questions as I was purchasing the policy and found their rates to be very competitive. 73 is correct, they have excellent customer service. I have not had to file an umbrella claim yet but have filed auto claims in the past, and they are handled very professionally. Hope this helps.

I have my auto, homeowners (on my residence, not my rental) and an umbrella policy with GEICO,. I've had no issues with them and I'd recommend them.

Side note: I think my umbrella policy is directly with GEICO although the homeowners policy is with their partner, Travelers.

You don't have to insure your home through GEICO or its partner in order to have an umbrella policy with GEICO. I have auto and umbrella with GEICO. No claims yet on either one.

I wouldn't go with GEICO only for the reason their commercials are so annoying. Shallow reasoning, perhaps. But if an insurance company can spend the money they do on all those commercials and advertisements, they must be overcharging someone.

I wouldn't go with GEICO only for the reason their commercials are so annoying. Shallow reasoning, perhaps. But if an insurance company can spend the money they do on all those commercials and advertisements, they must be overcharging someone.
Agreed that the commercials are mostly annoying, but the part I boldfaced isn't necessarily true. It takes a certain amount of money to attract new customers, and if the amount you spend in advertising brings in new customers at a cost (per new customer) that's considerably less than the typical discounted profit stream you expect to get from them over time, then it's a good investment in the business.

If I'm selling a widget on which I can make a $100 profit and I'm deciding on whether to advertise to increase sales, I have to figure out whether I think it will cost me less than $100 per additional widget sale to advertise.

Having said all that, one has to wonder how much additional return (in the form of new customers) GEICO is getting with their "saturation bombing" advertisements (disclosure: I own shares in Berkshire Hathaway).

If you are a veteran, take a look at USAA for umbrella insurance.

I recently wanted to increase my umbrella limit significantly but it was very expensive to do so. They showed me how I could increase the liability limits on my auto and homeowner policies at a much lower cost, keep the umbrella policy at the level I have, and end up with the same amount of protection.

Back
Top Bottom