Only 1 reply for each 50 views on this forum...

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Not sure why but I would have guessed there were more replies per view. According to this snapshot, we average 1 reply for every 50 views, at best 1 reply for every 10-20 views. Your daily trivia...

RepliesViewsView per Reply% Replies
Bankruptcy is the new way to a secure retirement?11738671%
Burton Malkiel – Transcript January 7, 20115207412%
Generating investment income in 2011 (331577482%
Help with making pension decision please5249502%
How far below your means? (702109303%
How is the Social Security spouse survivor benefit calculated?18399225%
How to retire at age 4511444402%
How to Retire at Any Age6267452%
Interesting Mortgage Article8240303%
Is this Amount of Income Enough to Retire Early On? (1909515502%
mortgage in retirement (29930323%
Munis --- Will this be an Opportunity?11496452%
My 401k rollover experience.8181234%
need help with this Roth strategy11122119%
suze orman says....5106215%
View of Retirement at 10713777602%
What happens to my soc sec if I stop working at 45? (221403642%
What is the probablity that your State Bankrupts? (793351422%
When can I retire?1415511111%
Will - where do I start ? (481256264%
Totals59725918432%

What also interests me is the high percentage of guests online at any time. I suppose some could be members who are not logged in (I am always logged in, I assume more active members are?). Anyway, right this minute only 17% of those who are visiting the forum are logged in members.

Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed so many visitors either...

I'm thinking "rubber neckin' syndrome"....I REALLY want to see everyone else's problems
(just to confirm that MINE are not soooo bad) but I don't want to get involved...so I'm just
slowing down to take a look....:LOL:

Are automated "views" to be considered -- Search Engines "keeping up with things," for instance? I would guess they would wish to remain "Guests" rather than "Sign on."

And, as verbose as I seem to be, I really only comment on less than 1% of the Posts I look at (I assume each new post, or group of posts, I look at counts as a separate Thread "visit.")

I browsed the board now and then as a guest for years before registering. Perhaps some of the present guests are older than most of our members, as I am and was, and aren't sure if this is the board for them or not due to their age.

To any older potential members who are reading: There really aren't any other boards that I know of that are of this size and activity, and that are dedicated to general retirement instead of early retirement. We have many members in their 60's and a few in their 70's and older, and some who do not plan to retire until their late 60's if ever. Welcome, and feel free to register and participate if you want to do so.

W2R: Thanks for replacing the Cafe du Monde beignet avatar, it was killing me!!! I can resist gumbo, or whatever the new one is...:LOL:

W2R: Thanks for replacing the Cafe du Monde beignet avatar, it was killing me!!! I can resist gumbo, or whatever the new one is...:LOL:

It's seafood gumbo, from Smitty's restaurant... have had seafood gumbo at Smitty's many times. It is killing me more than the beignets. :LOL:

And you want to move away from there:confused:

Once you move you'll be like the rest of us with your mouth watering.

I would reply to this thread, but I cannot think of anything insightful to add.

Boosting My Ratio....

I'm one of those who views (and learns) much more than I respond. I bet my reply to view ratio is quite low. Hmmm.... maybe I should start replying to more threads - "thanks for the insight", "appreciate your comments", "good post", "welcome to the forums"....

I'm one of those who views (and learns) much more than I respond. I bet my reply to view ratio is quite low. Hmmm.... maybe I should start replying to more threads - "thanks for the insight", "appreciate your comments", "good post", "welcome to the forums"....
+1 is fewer keystrokes... :)

Probably a lot of people, such as my 82 year old mom, who would read this or any forum, but would never join one.

She prefers to remain anonymous on the internet, and can't believe that I actually do things like banking, bill paying, shopping etc online. :eek:

She does loves getting & sending emails, though. 10 years ago, I never would have believed it.

I definitely view more than I reply. I feel that there are so many more wise and experienced people than I to reply. Maybe I will try to start replying more also.

I wonder how those statistics compare with the average forum.

Midpack, when Andy advertises for the official e-r.org statistician, you are a shoo in for the position! Thanks for doing this.

Well, I read this thread and normally would have been satisfied to just drop in and see what was being discussed. I do that with many threads. Sometimes I find a jewel to take away, sometimes a chuckle, and sometimes I've been there, done that and burned the tee-shirt. There are some threads that particularly pique my interest and whether or not I comment, I keep dropping in to see what others have to say.

Hmm....are multiple views by the same person counted as separate views.

That is, let's say, I read a thread (and perhaps post) and then later see their are new posts and go and read them and then I leave and later see more posts and then view it again. Would that show as 1 view by me or 3?

Active threads with lots of posts aren't surprising to me. Sometimes I don't post because I don't think I can add anything to what has already been said? Occasionally someone asks a question and I have no idea what the answer is so can't add much.

The interesting ones to me are the ones that have a huge number of views and no one (or hardly anyone) has posted. Particularly if someone asked a question I always wonder what's up with that.

The interesting ones to me are the ones that have a huge number of views and no one (or hardly anyone) has posted. Particularly if someone asked a question I always wonder what's up with that.
We're just dropping by to see if the fireworks have started yet, and whether we should bring more popcorn...

There are a number of subjects & questions that I'll no longer engage in, but will read the thread just to make sure nothing new has been discovered. I'm rarely surprised.

I think you answered your own question...
Occasionally someone asks a question and I have no idea what the answer is...

Thanks to the lurkers. :flowers:

It always amazes me how many folks view a forum and never join. If you don't login you see LOTS of ads which helps keep the doors open so I guess that forum surfing behavior extrapolates to unregistered members as well.

A forum is defined by its content and those who participate; that includes those who login and/or post and those who pay the bills by not logging in ;)

An average of 1 reply for every 50 views sounds reasonable to me. With most of the forums I browse, I find that if I am thinking something as a possible answer, someone else has already made that reply, or will in short course.

Back
Top Bottom