Newby

donothing

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi, I am donothing from S.C. I decided to use that name since yesterday someone asked me the old retirement question "what did you do today?" I said "nothing"
I see many people on this forum are probably quite wealthy with huge portfolios etc. Not really the case with me.
I got laid off at 61 1/2 years old (16 months ago) So I said heck with it, drew some unemployment and then went on to s/s. I have a cash nestegg but not in the mega thousands. Luckily I have tricare insurance, national guard retirement, rental property and s/s plus wifey kicks in a little from her s/s. Hers is mostly play money for her. QVC and HSN packages come in weekly.
Now, after 16 months of early retirement I realize that getting laid off was one of the best things to ever happen to me. Thank goodness I was not 55 or so when it happened. If not for tricare I would have to work at least part time.
Retirement takes some getting used to. All your working life you look forward to an upcoming day off or long weekend. Then suddenly every day is off. It is a wonderful thing.

Welcome! Sometimes blessings come in disguise.
Wealth is relative. You seem to be on top of your financial matters and that is what counts IMO. If you are interested in idesas on reduction of expenses you may want to check out Simple Living Forums hosted by New Road Map Foundation with its forums or The Dollar Stretcher: Living Better...for Less!.

Sometimes purchases from QVC and HSN are just signs that other goals are missing. Do you have goals as a couple? It is never too late to create some.

Welcome. Yes... many have lost their jobs unexpectedly. Sorry that happened.

Hope your screen name is a temporary current state and not your goal. Maybe you should change it to DoSomething! ;)

er

Welcome! Sometimes blessings come in disguise.
Wealth is relative. You seem to be on top of your financial matters and that is what counts IMO. If you are interested in idesas on reduction of expenses you may want to check out Simple Living Forums hosted by New Road Map Foundation with its forums or The Dollar Stretcher: Living Better...for Less!.

Sometimes purchases from QVC and HSN are just signs that other goals are missing. Do you have goals as a couple? It is never too late to create some.

Made just over 48k net in 2010, should make 50k in 2011. In my area that is enough to have savings left over. On the qvc and hsn, she just buys skin care products. If she doesn't like them they can be sent back for full refund. didn't mean to imply she is buying random junk. She is saving money too. ps, note those incomes are net, not gross.

Welcome! Had a similar experience at a Xmas party in December. I was asked repeatedly...by the same person...in the same conversation..."what do you do?", and when I answered to the extent I wanted she asked again..."BUT what do you do?". I finally said, after working for 35 years while raising children, taking care of yard and house...I DO what I want".
FYI: Technically not retired - drawing a deferred comp package for the next 3 years. Then I will "retire". (Just haven't found a passion for my fourth career that meets my needs!).

Back
Top Bottom