My Last Working Day

RunningBum

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
...is tomorrow. Here's the plan for the day:

8am - I'll get a call from my boss, who will formally tell me that if I want to stay employed, I'll need to go back to full-time work and work on a new project since mine has moved to India. This is all set-up for getting me a package and covering their legal bases so I don't sue them for unfairly getting rid of me. There will be no surprises here.

9am - Off skiing, as I have for nearly every morning this winter. Ah, the benefits of part-time working and a flexible schedule, and one reason why I don't want to give it up.

Noon - lunch at the brew pub with a couple ski buddies to celebrate my last day

Afternoon - Check in at the computer to see if there are any last minute problems or questions to provide some guidance on. Cuz I'm such a good guy.

3pm - Call with HR, where they will formally offer me a mutual separation agreement. I'll have 30 days to accept. I hope there will be no surprises here.

So technically this isn't my last day until I sign and return it, but I see no reason to do it since I'll lose benefits when I sign it, and my agreement with my boss is that I'm not working in those 30 days. I'll drive down to the office early next month after my ski vacation in Utah to turn in the papers and my equipment and have lunch with my boss, who's been really good through all of this and will remain a friend.

3:30pm - unsubscribe from all of the email lists I'm on, and set an "out of office indefinitely" message on my email. I'll probably logon once or twice in the next month to see my last pay stubs or do something with benefits, and I want to see as little work-related emails as possible.

6pm - Dinner with my neighbors, to celebrate some more, and also hear what part they had in the overthrow of Mubarak, since they were in Egypt on vacation during the unrest.

~11pm - Go to bed with a big smile on my face

Been looking forward to this one for awhile, and went through some "one more year" times, but I feel fine about holding off since I've had a pretty sweet deal work-wise, and the part-time work has made for what I think will be an easier transition to ER. Telecommuting has done the same, since I won't have an adjustment away from the office environment. Plus it's been good to get a better handle on what my expenses will be, and put away enough buffer to not be sweating this move.

What next? Short term I've got to go sign my revised will the next day, go on a ski trip to Utah 10 days later, finish my taxes, increase my training for the Boston marathon, close out the local ski season, move my 401K, figure out a partial Roth conversion, move my HSA, and re-balance my AA with all of these moves.

Longer term, I'm going to add more cross-training (weights, swimming) to my running; more time volunteering at the local nature center; slowly getting around to projects I've put off around the house, including more work on my model train layout; more reading; hmm, that sounds like enough, don't really want to rush into too much, just enjoy a life of leisure for awhile.

Congrats! What a great plan to begin the rest of your life.

Best.last.day.ever.

I am in awe of you. Enjoy and congrats. One piece of advice: take your neighbors a nice bottle of wine. I think they could use it:greetings10:

RunningBum, If you are still 49 or even 53 you did really well. Now go enjoy the rest of your life. Congratulations!

I hope to join you in another year or two - especially the running part! Congratulations from a fellow runner.

This sounds very, very nice. :)

Congratulations!

Thanks all! Purron, I'm having the neighbors over to my house, so the wine and dinner is supplied for them.

Congrats, with a warning.

Don't get too excited until 15:15.
I hear ya. I've been told what will happen, but until I see the final copy I'm still a bit on edge.

Congratulations....you will hit the ground Running, Bum! :LOL:

(pun intended)

What a great way to put your j*b behind you. Now on to new and better times.

Love your volunteer work at the Nature Center.

Congrats! A perfect day indeed!

Where do I apply for such a sweet gig? ;-) I can telecommute for the assignment in India for US benefits and your schedule! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom