Social Security Stops Mailing Annual Statements

Maybe, maybe not. The cynic in me suspects that "cost savings" is a smokescreen here, that maybe if they stop sending these statements to us, we're less likely to notice if future reforms reduce the amount we can expect to receive...
Make room for me next to you on the "cynic bench". ;)
The silver lining is GAO's opinion usually makes things happen, from my limited experience. We shall see...

This is crazy. I can understand reducing mailing costs by not sending statements out to everyone. But, on a request basis...that should not be too overwhelming or overly costly. I think we have a right to see a statement if requested. It could be on-line for all I care and I could print it out.

What would say or do if your bank would not let you see your statement or monthly transactions?

I agree...there is a hidden agenda going on. This may be a way to get more funding for the agency...

This is crazy. I can understand reducing mailing costs by not sending statements out to everyone. But, on a request basis...that should not be too overwhelming or overly costly. I think we have a right to see a statement if requested. It could be on-line for all I care and I could print it out.

What would say or do if your bank would not let you see your statement or monthly transactions?

I agree...there is a hidden agenda going on. This may be a way to get more funding for the agency...

If you go on-line you can get an estimate of your SS benefits when you retire.

If you want to get your earnings history you can complete a request for an earnings statement on-line.

So before they started sending out regular statements, the admonition used to be check your earnings statements regularly, because there is a limited window during which record keeping errors can be corrected. If you get credited with too little earnings, you will get a reduced benefit. I have in fact found errors in my record that had to be corrected by sending in additional documentation.

If there are no statements, how do you know if your records are correct?

Alan...Yes, I have been into the on-line estimate on the SS website. The SSA has stopped the earnings statement, (with history), on line by request. I think they jumped the gun.

Here's a couple links to the GAO report that Freebird mentioned...The second one is more informative...
U.S. GAO - Social Security Statements: Observations on SSA's Plans for the Social Security Statement
http://www.gao.gov/highlights/d11787thigh.pdf

The article above that Freebird linked to does say that printed statements will continue to be available on request.

In comments, SSA noted that paper statements will continue to be available, on request, in English and Spanish.
it is unclear how many workers will request mailed statements after this information is made available online

In my post I didn't actually mean to say that you can get your earnings statement on-line - sorry. I meant to say that you can apply for your earnings statement by going on-line and obtaining the form which you print out and fill in. (probably a phone call would also get you a copy of the application form in the mail)

Looking at the site I believe you can go here and then print out the form "SSA-750 in" and mail it to the address given. They should then send you an earnings statement that you can use to check for errors.

I agree that it is much easier to be able to get it on-line and that they should have provided the on-line version before they stopped sending out annual earnings statements.

Hey Alan...Thanks for that link! I did not know about it. That helps immensely. That's what I will do. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom