Expense Spreadsheet

megacorp-firee

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Can't figure out how to post on Bogleheads forum, so I am posting here and will link to it from BH.

I got this here and used it for 3 years. It was very useful.

Attachments

• Expense Log Shell.xls
    228 KB · Views: 136
With all due respect, while this is very comprehensive it is....very comprehensive. I have diligently used a spreadsheet for my budget for many many years but use much fewer categories - basically Monthly bills, Less frequent bills (i.e., annual and quarterly bills), Charity, Fun (I have an expensive hobby), Car, and Cash (what we spend until the next paycheck). Money left over goes to any specific planned large expense or to savings. Our "regular" savings is on auto-pilot, so the extra money is just that - an addition to our auto-savings.
To each his/her own, but in my opinion life is too short to dwell on small details.

Can't figure out how to post on Bogleheads forum, so I am posting here and will link to it from BH.

I got this here and used it for 3 years. It was very useful.
This appears to be a better version of one I made for myself when MS Money stopped support and I decided to just go with Excel. To me yours has just the right degree of granularity.

Could you link us back to the Boglehead discussion?

Ha

With all due respect, while this is very comprehensive it is....very comprehensive. ...
To each his/her own, but in my opinion life is too short to dwell on small details.
I used about 1/2 of the categories myself.
I did find it very comprehensive as you did. If you are xls savy you could probably make changes to make it 'less bulky', ... but hey it was free.
I want to give credit where credit is due, so my thanks to the whoever constructed this initially. I don't remember.

I used about 1/2 of the categories myself.
I did find it very comprehensive as you did. If you are xls savy you could probably make changes to make it 'less bulky', ... but hey it was free.
I want to give credit where credit is due, so my thanks to the whoever constructed this initially. I don't remember.
Thanks for the link megacorp. For many years I used a Basic general ledger written by my son when he was 12 or so. It was exact, and since it was double entry, expenses could not get lost. I credit that program for helping me understand the spending side of economic life, which I had pretty much ignored prior to that.

But it was a DOS program and I have tried various things since, none as good IMO. Anyway, this spreadsheet will be good enough at least unless I want to learn programming well enough to write a double entry one myself, which is very unlikely.

Ha

Thanks for the link megacorp. ...

Ha
Your welcome Ha ... I found and more important DW agrees that after 3 years we have a fairly good handle on what the 'ins and outs' are. We are fairly consistent in our habits.

I have my own spreadsheet that I did prior to retiring, and I used Microsoft Money for several years. I am not using Quicken to track spending and it works very well. We spend less then $100 cash a month. Everything else goes on the Card or is paid out of the Check Book. One download in Quicken and I have all my expenses. As the cash comes out of the ATM, it is recorded as Misc. Exp.

Back
Top Bottom