How to siphon gas from my Honda?

veremchuka

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
irradiated - too close to the nuclear furnace
I need to siphon the gas from my 1991 Civic. I stuck a siphon hose down the fill tube and hit a screen (?) and can't get into the gas. I will be OK with destroying this blockage if I can get to the gas. How to push past it?

Another thought - disconnect the fuel line at the injector and direct it via a hose into a gas can when cranking the engine? The battery is pretty new and ought to hold up for some time. Too dangerous ala sparks?

The car is going to the junk yard and I filled the tank last week! I had no idea I'd be getting rid of it or I wouldn't have filled it up. I can't really drive it as a suspension part failed and it is dangerous to drive.

How can I get those 12 gallons of gas out?

Thanks!

Get a couple of friends to help you turn it on its side (it's a pretty little car, shouldn't be too hard :))?

Since the car is destined for the junk yard, there should be no issue to break through the screen, correct? Maybe use some kind of wooden stick to prevent sparking?

You could research the internet to see how big and thick the screen is, and if it is even possible to punch through it.

The problem is you can't push a stick down the neck which was my 1st thought as it has a bend in it. I thought a garden hose may be tough enough to do it but the hole is so small a 1/2" hose probably wouldn't fit through it. I like the tip it on the side idea! I was told there might be a bolt that can be removed as suggested. I want not need to get the gas out, I just pumped 12 gallons into it on Thursday and this car will go about 450 miles on that. It cost $49 so i really would prefer to not send it off with that in the tank.

This might work.
Disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter and put the loose fuel line
in a gas can and turn the key on but don't
start the engine and the fuel pump should drain the tank.

This might work.

Good idea.

I presume that the car still runs and you plan to drive it to the scrap yard. Could you not continue to drive it until you use up the remaining gas or has the tax and/or inspection tags run out?

Whatever you do, be very careful. Gas is very dangerous and $50 is not worth getting hurt over.

there should be a rubber hose connecting the fill tube with the tank under the side of the car. loosen the hose clamp, take the hose loose from the tank fill tube and stick your siphon hose in at that location. should bypass the screen and get what you want.

This might work.
This method would probably be your best bet. If the fittings are rusted and you're not able to remove then, cut the line, remove the gas then use a neoprene hose with a couple clamps and close of the line again so it's drivable.

Related to this - I'd like to avoid driving, filling, and storing my 2.5 Gallon gas can for my mower. I've thought about tapping into the fuel line on one of the cars somewhere, so I could just pull off what I need, when I need.

Anyone do that? Not sure where I'd tap in.

-ERD50

One car I had had a check valve at the base of the filler neck, it could not be siphoned.

I assume the car will be towed to the junkyard. So disconnecting a fuel line and running the starter should do it, probably in some bursts with cool-down time for the starter. With a fuel-injection car's electric fuel pump, just turning key to ON, not start, will turn on the electric fuel pump. But in most/all cars, the computer looks for engine rotation, and if it doesn't see it turning at all, shuts down the fuel pump after a couple seconds. So cranking the starter keeps the engine turning to keep the computer happy. The fuel pump is turned off with no engine rotation for crash safety, after an accident.
Probably want to access the fuel line after the fuel filter, so your collected gas is clean and not the dregs of junk at the bottom of an old tank.

If your handy and car electrical-knowledgeable, you could probably direct-wire the fuel pump ON at the fuel pump relay by closing the relay's coil circuit so the relay stays pulled in with ignition ON. Then it should pump continuously as long as the battery lasts.

Related to this - I'd like to avoid driving, filling, and storing my 2.5 Gallon gas can for my mower. I've thought about tapping into the fuel line on one of the cars somewhere, so I could just pull off what I need, when I need.

Anyone do that? Not sure where I'd tap in. ERD50

I think that would be very dicey. The fuel lines are all high-pressure lines, and the flexible nylon lines have special fittings on them, integral with the hose $$. A pickup solves the whole problem nicely :). I tie a 5 gallon can down in a corner of the bed.

Or maybe there is a car that you can siphon using one of the small-diameter (maybe 3/8" ID) siphon hoses with squeeze bulb. A screw driver can hold the tab down to withdraw the hose from the neck. With this method, it's best to gas-up car fully, drive home and siphon right away while gas level is still at full. And park car to use gravity if the driveway has a sideways slope.

The car is going to the junk yard and I filled the tank last week! I had no idea I'd be getting rid of it or I wouldn't have filled it up. I can't really drive it as a suspension part failed and it is dangerous to drive.

Thanks!

I assume you've already checked to see what it would cost to fix the suspension - and you've decided it's not worth it. A well running '91 honda civic in half decent shape could be worth way more than $1000. Could run another 5 or 10 years with occasional fixes. Seems a shame.:(

I'm junking my '91 Mazda at the end of my mainland stay. Needs a couple thousand in repairs (though it still runs great) and it's a $500 car. Right now, it would cost $450 to fix the driver's door (to open!). You should see this old man getting into the right seat and climbing over the 5-speed gear shift. Not a pretty sight.:facepalm: I thought about climbing through the window like a NASCAR driver - but figured I'd get stuck or worse. OH, and YMMV, heh, heh.

Kool, I love that visual! Whenever I wonder about where to find "my peeps", I never fail to be reminded that they are right here on the forum.
Only here is a $500 car with an inoperable driver door a perfectly serviceable ride. Yay!

Sell the car. Put an add in the newspaper. I would never attempt to remove that gas unless you have done this before. It is not worth getting hurt doing something to save $50. I owned a repair shop for 25 years and I can tell you from experience not to do this unless you know how. Gas is highly flammable. Too many ways to create a spark. My number one rule now because of things that have happened to me in the past working around gas is stay away from it. Thats the best I can do. Tom

Many good replies.

Ok if I can remember,

1. the car is seriously compromised and if I hit a pot hole the left read wheel could be ripped off - the rust/corrosion is extreme. It is absolutely impossible to fix this or I would. The engine is still in very good condition and so is the original clutch. It has many newish parts from the past 2 years and 2 full sets tires - summer and winter tires each set on wheels. It is an excellent car and I'd keep it for another 10 years if I could but this is a very dangerous situation. If the suspension is torn from the unibody it'll smash the gas tank and I'll lose control of the car. So I can hit other cars or objects and be a flaming ball of fire to boot!

2. I can drive it and will drive it to the junkyard

3. I am fully aware of just how dangerous gas is! I agree about just 1 spark! Trust me, siphoning via the fill neck is probably the safest way to remove the gas. Next would be if there's a bolt that will drain the tank. Cranking the engine to remove the gas scares me though it sounds doable.

4. Selling the car for $1 would be a huge mistake much less $1000. As mentioned it is unsafe, dangerously unsafe to drive. If someone was killed or hurt and the cops looked at the rusted condition of the body and then underneath, and they would to determine cause of accident, I'd be liable. It would make an excellent parts car tho body parts are rusted but mechanically there's a ton of good stuff. No one has a 1991 Civic, in this part of the country very few cars last 15 years much less 20! I have 4 summer tires on wheels and 4 snow tires on wheels and I can't even sell them because no one uses 13" tires anymore. If you had a California or Arizona car that needed an engine this would be a good buy but I'm far from those states.

Frugal me will figure out how to get back my $50 worth of gas leaving a gallon in the tank. Frugal me has to listen to the safety issues and remember exploding 12 gallons of gas and burning to death is not a frugal or wise move! Frugal me is going to be very careful!

Frugal me will figure out how to get back my $50 worth of gas leaving a gallon in the tank. Frugal me has to listen to the safety issues and remember exploding 12 gallons of gas and burning to death is not a frugal or wise move! Frugal me is going to be very careful!

Have you talked to the junkyard? I bet they drain tanks routinely, and have the tools and process to do it safely. Explain to them you'd like to be paid for the gas in there, else you will deliver it after you've used it up. Heck, if they even give you 25 cents on the dollar for the gas, you are ahead.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom